Sunday, May 17, 2020

On Sunday at Darlington, NASCAR will return to the racetrack for the first time since the coronavirus pandemic forced it to pack up and abandon Atlanta Motor Speedway on March 13, as teams were preparing their cars for the weekend's first practice session ahead of what was supposed to be the season's fifth race. Now that fifth race will be run two months later and at an entirely different racetrack. It will be held with no fans in the grandstand and no laps having been turned in practice or qualifying.

Comments

Kevin Harvick won.

#1 | Posted by Twinpac at 2020-05-17 07:32 PM | Reply

How is this different than any other NASCAR race? No fans.

#2 | Posted by zelkova at 2020-05-17 07:57 PM | Reply

No fans.

NASCAR died with Earnhardt. Just took a while for them to realize it.

#3 | Posted by REDIAL at 2020-05-18 12:01 AM | Reply

I've been losing interest myself the last couple years.

I can't put my finger on it. I've been a fan for many years. But lately there seems to be something drastically wrong with NASCAR. I think the drivers know what it is. They just can't do anything about it.

#4 | Posted by Twinpac at 2020-05-18 01:19 AM | Reply

But lately there seems to be something drastically wrong with NASCAR.

I gave up when it started to look like wrestling. More focus on the drivers sniping at each other after the race than the race itself.

#5 | Posted by REDIAL at 2020-05-18 01:23 AM | Reply

I'm questioning why a 7 time Cup champion like Jimmy Johnson hasn't won a race since 1017.

Same thing after Kevin Harvick's Cup championship. His drought lasted 99 races.

It makes no sense. Something is wrong.

#6 | Posted by Twinpac at 2020-05-18 02:11 AM | Reply

Romans rolled out a 4 wheel chariot in 1018, completely throwing off Johnson's groove. :-)

#7 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2020-05-18 05:12 AM | Reply

Thank you AU. I should have caught that. Of course, that should be 2017.

(I just finished binge watching all 8 seasons of Game of Thrones so I might still be stuck in the wrong century)

But my feeling that something is wrong at NASCAR remains. A 7-time Cup Champion like Jimmy Johnson doesn't just suddenly dry up after 83 career wins. Nor does the does thing happen to a top driver like Kevin Harvick.

Something is going on. I wish I knew what it is but nobody is talking.

#8 | Posted by Twinpac at 2020-05-18 06:29 AM | Reply

TWIN

Is it possible NASCAR's doing a WWF-style "now it's your turn to win" thing?

#9 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2020-05-18 06:41 AM | Reply

AU

Yeah, I thought that, too. Class A garages like Hendricks Motorsports and Steward/Hass have young development drivers tapped from the lower series. But that's not the way it usually works.

Big name drivers like Johnson and Harvick are their bread and butter. The garage owners needs wins to attract big money sponsors. Nobody pays to have their company name on a car that finishes up the track somewhere or a DNF. They want their company name on the car in the winner's circle (where the cameras are.)

This change in NASCAR might have something to do with car manufactures. They all want their cars (Toyota, Ford, or Chevy) to run in bunches to help each other. It's a feather in their cap for one manufacturer to all finish in the top five.

That explains some of it, but not all. I just think NASCAR racing has stopped being a sport and has turned into a marketing investment for car manufacturers. I see it happening in every race lately and consider it dishonest.

#10 | Posted by Twinpac at 2020-05-18 07:57 AM | Reply

#10 | POSTED BY TWINPAC

Really, the sport where the drivers' uniforms and the cars are completely covered in giant corporate logos has gotten too commercial?
Who woulda' thunk it?