Sunday, May 17, 2020

If Harley Davidson is the Titanic, the pandemic might just be that one big iceberg. Worse still, it had a hole in the hull and sputtering engines before all this even began. Damn. Is HD done for?

Comments

139,460 views May 17, 2020

13K Likes

FortNine
815K subscriber

Comments
SCLSCLSCL
2 hours ago (edited)
The level of this channel makes pretty much all the other bike related ones feel sorry for themselves . Amazing content put together better. Every single time.

491 Likes

I went easy on the DR gerbil and didn't post the vid; it's at the link. The demise of Harley? Started with Reagan.

#1 | Posted by Corky at 2020-05-17 04:47 PM | Reply

That was a good 14 minutes long explanation and history with lessons for today.
It also explains perfectly why I left HD and went with BMW in that same time frame - Reagan's policies, HD's marketing strategy.
That terminated the true rebel nature of HD and HD became a brand for those to "appropriate" an image they'd never have.

HD became a sell-out to save themselves. In fact, it's a pattern.
All they did was slow their demise and ruin that which originally made them special.

Also a great lesson on what tariffs can do.

#2 | Posted by YAV at 2020-05-17 09:45 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The FortNine guy is probably the smartest biker I've seen.

This was fun from yammienoob... a bike that make me pee my britches to ride. So that's not happening.

www.youtube.com

#3 | Posted by Corky at 2020-05-17 09:51 PM | Reply

that would

#4 | Posted by Corky at 2020-05-17 09:52 PM | Reply

Daamn!

That was FUN! Doubly fun since I recognized and have ridden that area of Austin, TX-360, the Pennybacker, all out into the Hill Country.

I wish I knew how fast they got that bike up to, though at no point did the bike even hint that it was near the top. Wow. That got my adrenaline going - and reminded me my sport bike days are over and I lived. Things to be grateful for! :)

#5 | Posted by YAV at 2020-05-17 10:58 PM | Reply

Yeah, I think their shop is right off of RM 2222. I lived there in the early '80s and enjoyed driving my Alfa Romeo in the hill country. Didn't enjoy the "cedar" fever, though. They make some cool riding vids.

I've been watching Itchy Boots on youtube this year and now I want a dual sport.

#6 | Posted by Corky at 2020-05-18 12:16 AM | Reply

itchy boots

www.youtube.com

#7 | Posted by Corky at 2020-05-18 12:21 AM | Reply

The last itchy boots where she ended up in S. America and COVID was breaking out was really good. That's the summary vid I think. Amazing.

#8 | Posted by YAV at 2020-05-18 09:06 PM | Reply

Yeah, it's some highlights of both seasons. There's a crash video, too, lol

I started watching about the time the pandemic started and have seen both seasons since. Girl is a treasure.

She went from about 385k subs when first trapped in Peru, a scary deal as the only foreigner in a small, scared village, and 430k now.

Do you still ride? I haven't 20 years, but I've got the itch (lol) again.

#9 | Posted by Corky at 2020-05-18 10:09 PM | Reply

I sold my last bike about 4 years ago. I've done some serious riding from one end of the US to the other. If I were to bet I'd bet I won't be getting another bike, but I do miss aspects of riding. I lean towards sport riding, but my body doesn't much like it. I can't see me riding something "comfortable" If I were to get a bike, I'd probably get an old BMW R 100 rt cafe racer.

I've had a lot of bikes, all kinds, from Duc, Suzuki, Honda, BWM, Yamaha, etc. It all started because of a BSA motorcycle...

#10 | Posted by YAV at 2020-05-18 10:28 PM | Reply

I only road Harleys for a few years in the '90's in Naples, and a little bit as a kid in Texas.

You know who else here rides is TFDNIHILIST . He posted me his FB page; he rode a... scooter of some sort around the country doing his music gigs.

- cafe racer.

they've really made a comeback recently it seems.

Retro bikes in general... Royal Enfield is still making them.

I saw this the other day from a European company called MASH; a WWII replica desert bike in a very limited, but inexpensive edition only sold in Europe. Pretty cool looking, though.

hiconsumption.com

#11 | Posted by Corky at 2020-05-18 10:44 PM | Reply

= Duc,

Noraly rode a Duc Monster for a few years then sold it and got the Himalayan for this trip... she's trying to find whoever ended up with it to get it back.

#12 | Posted by Corky at 2020-05-18 10:46 PM | Reply

I love that!

I know who has my old BMW. I've been thinking about making a bid for it!

#13 | Posted by YAV at 2020-05-18 11:01 PM | Reply

That would be so cool. Hope you get it.

#14 | Posted by Corky at 2020-05-19 12:12 AM | Reply