Wednesday, May 20, 2020

On Monday Trump claimed America having the world's most COVID-19 cases is "a badge of honor" because "it means our testing is much better." But according to Our World in Data the US currently ranks 6th in the world in the number of tests per 1,000 people with Switzerland, Norway, Italy, Estonia and Iceland doing more testing than the United States.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Then there is the issue with how informative the testing that we are doing actually is:

Comments

They should just keep him in the basement until December.

#1 | Posted by REDIAL at 2020-05-19 07:44 PM | Reply

We're number One!

#2 | Posted by bored at 2020-05-19 07:58 PM | Reply

World leaders must be love it that Trump makes them look so good.
Faced with shortages of PPE and hospitals overflowing with the sick and dead, they can just point to Trump and say we are better than the Trumpocalypse.

#3 | Posted by bored at 2020-05-19 08:05 PM | Reply

Sadly Trumpers will parrot this talking point dutifully.

#4 | Posted by jpw at 2020-05-19 11:30 PM | Reply

Sadly Trumpers will parrot this talking point dutifully.

#4 | Posted by jpw at 2020-05-19 11:30 PM | Reply

I'm not sure why you'd insult parrots like that.

#5 | Posted by Zed at 2020-05-20 08:22 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

I know RCADE may be missing the traffic from the Trump supporters but, purely from a personal perspective, I don't miss them at all. If I could go through life never encountering any of them I would be glad about that.

#6 | Posted by danni at 2020-05-20 08:31 AM | Reply

I know RCADE may be missing the traffic from the Trump supporters

#6 | Posted by danni at 202

No reason to think they've gone, given:

1) They always appear to crow when they think Trump has wrought some miracle.

2) They always appear to play defense when they know Trump has done something tragically stupid.

#7 | Posted by Zed at 2020-05-20 08:48 AM | Reply

#6 If anyone has friends who might be interested in joining, now would be a good time to encourage them to check out the board.

#8 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-05-20 08:49 AM | Reply

#7 3) Most of them have sock puppets who may very well begin gracing us with their presence.

#9 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-05-20 08:50 AM | Reply

Zed, there has been the Great Snowflake Purge of 2020 (henceforth GSP20) where a number of our conservative posters have either been currently banned or have self-resigned from posting in a solidarity meltdown. (For more info see yesterday's Nooner)

#10 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-05-20 09:02 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Pleasepleaseplease let him to be actually taking hydroxychloroquine, and let it find that heart defect the doctors haven't diagnose heretofore...

#11 | Posted by catdog at 2020-05-20 09:09 AM | Reply

Only an arrogant white person could be so delusional.

#12 | Posted by fresno500 at 2020-05-20 09:19 AM | Reply

(For more info see yesterday's Nooner)

I have never been to the Nooner.

#13 | Posted by Zed at 2020-05-20 10:01 AM | Reply

banned or have self-resigned from posting in a solidarity meltdown.

#10 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020

I assume that some resigned because defending Trump became too strange in the Age of Covid.

Not that I think any now consider Donald less than god. Just a sort of terrible, vengeful god.

Why were some banned?

#14 | Posted by Zed at 2020-05-20 10:05 AM | Reply

CATDOG

I'm told the White House has a full blown medical facility with all the amenities of a first rate ER. (with the exception of heart attacks)

If what Trump says is true, his risk is not very high. So don't get your hopes up.

Trump did go to John Hopkins (in the middle of the night) a few months ago but that was for heart palpitations during his impeachment.

#15 | Posted by Twinpac at 2020-05-20 10:07 AM | Reply

Why were some banned?

#14 | Posted by Zed

They kept pushing buttons rcade told them not to push, mostly -------- about moderation and whining about their faux victimhood.

#16 | Posted by jpw at 2020-05-20 10:12 AM | Reply

I have never been to the Nooner.

Go to your Retort homepage and click on the link. We're not supposed to talk about Nooner topics on the open blog. It's unmoderated, so conversation is much freer.

I'm not a usual daily visitor either, I just mainly take a look every now and then. But you can find out what's going on there.

#17 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-05-20 10:13 AM | Reply

ZED

Clink on Tuesday's Nooner (yesterday). Read all the way through. You'll find your answer.

#18 | Posted by Twinpac at 2020-05-20 10:25 AM | Reply

@#16 ... mostly -------- about moderation ...

One of the best message boards I participated in (nearly 30 years ago...) had very few posting rules. The main two were:

1) no ad hominem attacks.

2) no public comments on moderation. if you don't like the moderation, send a private message to the mod to discuss.

(and I still cannot see this mysterious "nooner" thing. I logged in (even used a different browser) and checked the menu on the left side on my home page. Nothing resembling "nooner.")

#19 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-05-20 11:08 AM | Reply

cannot see this mysterious "nooner" thing.

Go to Edit Account... you can make it visible from there.

#20 | Posted by REDIAL at 2020-05-20 11:15 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

LAMP

In the header for the Nooner, there's a small blue "click here." That will take you to the archived nooners.

#21 | Posted by Twinpac at 2020-05-20 11:18 AM | Reply

Go to Edit Account... you can make it visible from there.

#22 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-05-20 11:19 AM | Reply

#18 No room to talk. None.

#23 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2020-05-20 11:22 AM | Reply

ZED

On my screen it says "The past seven days are online." Click that and the archived nooners will be on the left side of your screen. Click on Tuesday.

#24 | Posted by Twinpac at 2020-05-20 11:27 AM | Reply

@#22 ... Then it shows up at the bottom of the middle column's threads on the Front Page everyday. ...

OK, I finally found it.

I was looking for it as a menu item in the

Front Page
Breaking News
Comments
Flagged Comments
Recently Flagged
User Blogs
Write a Blog Entry
Create a Poll
Edit Account
Weekly Digest
Stats Page
RSS Feed
Back Page

area.

It shows up as the last headline link in the middle column of headline links.

thx.

#25 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-05-20 11:28 AM | Reply

Is the racist orange turd going to celebrate with hamberders and two scoops of ice cream when the #TrumpBodyCount reaches 100,000?

#26 | Posted by reinheitsgebot at 2020-05-20 11:41 AM | Reply

...when the #TrumpBodyCount reaches 100,000?

When that happens he will be bragging that he saved 900,000 lives since it could have been a million.

#27 | Posted by REDIAL at 2020-05-20 11:49 AM | Reply

In actuality, I do not completely disagree with Pres Trump on this.

There is the fact that the more we test, the more cases of COVID-19 we will find. I do think it is a good thing to find the cases out there for several reasons, not the least of which is that with better data we can make more informed decisions.

My concern is that as we test more, we get more cases. This leads to charts such as this series of state-by-state charts ( www.endcoronavirus.org ) that show an increase or decrease in cases without any other context.

Until we get a lot further into the testing, the testing results need to be judiciously interpreted. Simple charts won't do it.

One stat that I'd prefer to see is the number of hospitalization per capita. In my state, that number has been dropping.

#28 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-05-20 11:54 AM | Reply

#28 | POSTED BY LAMPLIGHTER

That's true anywhere.

It doesn't make America any better.

It just shows how America is among the worst, if not the worst, at containing the disease.

Likewise, the fact that we were so late in bringing testing online shows how America is among the worst, if not the worst, at containing the disease.

You picked a pretty big turd to polish.

#29 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-05-20 12:20 PM | Reply

@#29 ... You picked a pretty big turd to polish. ...

Now, I wouldn't go that far.

Note that I said I don't completely disagree. Also note that I did not say that I completely agree.

What I was saying was that as we test more, we will find more cases of COVID-19, but that we need to use that additional data correctly (which is why I mentioned the "per capita" thing).

Nothing more. No turd polishing. :)

... the fact that we were so late in bringing testing online shows how America is among the worst, if not the worst, at containing the disease. ...

I do not disagree with that statement.

#30 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-05-20 12:34 PM | Reply

"but that we need to use that additional data correctly (which is why I mentioned the "per capita" thing)."

^
Still turd polishing, bro.

#31 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-05-20 12:35 PM | Reply

@#31 ... Still turd polishing, bro. ...

How so?

#32 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-05-20 12:37 PM | Reply

How? By trying to frame mass death as anything less that mass death.

This is the deadliest peacetime event in American history. And by the time it's over we might be able to remove that "peacetime" qualifier.

#33 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-05-20 12:45 PM | Reply

@#33 ... By trying to frame mass death as anything less that mass death. ...

OK, I see where we differ.

This is the deadliest peacetime event in American history.

I completely agree with that statement. Period Full stop.

... By trying to frame mass death as anything less that mass death. ...

My comment was not trying to frame the mass death or the crisis, as anything.

My comment was saying only that the additional data we receive from more testing is beneficial to the medical and infectious disease communities. It gives them more data to track and fight the pandemic, and that we need to use such additional data appropriately.

I was saying that the additional data aspect of more testing is a good thing.

I did not intend (nor do I want) to give an impression that I was trying to use the concept of more testing to shine a better light (the turd polishing you mentioned) on this crisis, as Pres Trump appears to be doing.

#34 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-05-20 12:59 PM | Reply

"I do think it is a good thing to find the cases out there for several reasons, not the least of which is that with better data we can make more informed decisions."

Vague, but also, beside the point.

There is no way to contain this other than lockdown.

In the coming weeks we will see cases spike as more and more places open up.

That's really all the data we need.

But will we use it to lock down again? Probably not

#35 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-05-20 01:07 PM | Reply

@#35 ... Whether it's 1% of America that would test positive or 5%, it doesn't change the fact that the only way to slow the spread is social distancing. That's the only information you need: There's no cure, and we're 18 months or so away from sufficient contagion to acquire herd immunity.

There is no way to contain this other than lockdown. ...

Soon, the testing showed no more new cases.

New Zealand took a similar approach...

New Zealand eliminates COVID-19
www.thelancet.com(20)31097-7/fulltext

... In the coming weeks we will see cases spike as more and more places open up. ...

Yup.

Some states are opening way too soon, even to the extent of fudging data to justify their decision.

#36 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-05-20 01:22 PM | Reply

"There was one village in Italy early on that used testing data to isolate anyone who tested positive. They repeatedly tested over the course of time. Anyone who tested positive was placed in isolation."

Yeah but we're not doing that, it's arguably too late to do that, and if we did, Deplorables would flock to that town to protest it.

#37 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-05-20 01:24 PM | Reply

Don't pull your punches.

Fudging data is lying.

#38 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-05-20 01:28 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

How pathetic is it for the racist orange turd to be taking a bow for jamming a century's worth of failure into 5 months?

#39 | Posted by reinheitsgebot at 2020-05-21 12:14 AM | Reply

Only a homicidal maniac would dance on graves.

#40 | Posted by getoffmedz at 2020-05-21 10:49 AM | Reply

I wonder whether Trump or Putin is happier about the death count.

I know conservative Americans couldn't care less.

#41 | Posted by ClownShack at 2020-05-22 03:05 AM | Reply