Friday, May 22, 2020

Change my mind.

Comments

---- convincing.

#1 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2020-05-22 12:10 AM | Reply

I'll take the lack of interest on this topic as acquiescence that it's true.

So, we exist in a 4D hypersphere.

That'll be all.

#2 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2020-05-22 03:18 PM | Reply

I'd say partly true. A hypersphere requires that all four dimensions are symmetrical (you can move back and forth in x,y,z and t) but the 4th dimension isn't symmetrical - it only allows you to go forward. Also, there is good reason to believe M-theory - our universe was once a ten dimensional symmetrical structure but a collision with a six-dimensional sheet of energy partially collapsed it, giving rise to the three symmetrical dimensions of space, a partially collapsed 4th dimension that is time, and six nearly completely collapsed dimensions which are the physical forces.

Now to watch the last 16 mins.

#3 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2020-05-22 07:26 PM | Reply

I'll take the lack of interest on this topic as acquiescence that it's true.

My mind doesn't have the foreknowledge to process this information. I have always stood in awe of those who talk about what I call deep science as though it was common knowledge.

Years ago I started watching a PBS program that ventured into Mandelbrot sets. It was at that very moment I realized just how much in the universe I don't begin to understand.

Thank goodness for people like you or people like me would still be banging stones to see the sparks.

#4 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-05-22 07:57 PM | Reply

Oh, he failed to get Einstein's flat universe right. We can see that the universe has a curvature of one, like a sphere or toros (the only shapes with a curvature of one).

But yeah, just like how the shadow of a 3d sphere is a 2d circle, the shadow of the 4d universe is a 3d sphere. (The shadow of a 2d circle is a 1d line, and of a 1d line a 0d point).

#5 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2020-05-22 08:04 PM | Reply

Change my mind.

POSTED BY RSTYBEACH11

I live in Texas and the Earth is flat! My Reptilian Overlords told me so.

Take that.

#6 | Posted by Sycophant at 2020-05-22 08:15 PM | Reply

I live in Texas and the Earth is flat!

Not all but, yeah, the prairie's north and west of Dallas pretty much.

There is a very old, but still good, Texas Supreme Court case that says judicial notice is taken that land around Houston is flat. Used that one in a flood case.

#7 | Posted by et_al at 2020-05-23 12:41 AM | Reply

You may really enjoy this, then, Rsty:

www.forbes.com

"When we take the best data available, which comes from both the cosmic microwave background's fluctuations and the details of how galaxies cluster together on large scales at a variety of distances, we arrive at an inescapable conclusion: the Universe is indistinguishable from perfect spatial flatness. If it is curved, it's at a level that's no more than 0.4%, meaning that if the Universe is curved like a hypersphere, its radius is at least ~250 times larger than the part that's observable to us."

#8 | Posted by YAV at 2020-05-24 10:35 AM | Reply

BTW - the evidence in the three images at the end are compelling.

#9 | Posted by YAV at 2020-05-24 10:38 AM | Reply