Friday, May 22, 2020

In new guidance for mathematical modelers and public health officials, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is estimating that about a third of coronavirus infections are asymptomatic.

Comments

Politicized science.

Nothing is safe from Trump.

#1 | Posted by jpw at 2020-05-22 09:49 AM | Reply

"the agency estimates that 40% of coronavirus transmission is occurring before people feel sick."

This is what I was trying to tell Gracie about how Covid gets into nursing homes and assisted living centers even if those facilities screen workers and delivery people before they can enter by taking their temperatures.

#2 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-05-22 09:56 AM | Reply

PS I don't know if the 40% figure is accurate, but I do believe the virus is being spread by some portion of people who are asymptomatic.

#3 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-05-22 09:57 AM | Reply

35% of Coronavirus Infections Are Asymptomatic

Abd Deplorables protest that all those Typhoid Mary's can't go to work.

Death Cult.

#4 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-05-22 01:20 PM | Reply

If statistics like this don't make you stop and think nothing will...

Couple this news with our testing fiasco and it's easy to see why folks
are writing articles about how COVID will be around longer than Trump.

#5 | Posted by LostAngeles at 2020-05-22 01:51 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Asymptomatic or presymptomatic?

#6 | Posted by Tor at 2020-05-22 03:32 PM | Reply

I saw a study coming out of a Wuhan prison that showed 80% of those testing positive were asymptomatic. So this figure is a good sign, yet still troublesome.

#7 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2020-05-22 03:41 PM | Reply

There's also a study from a previous coronavirus epidemic that people who had asymptomatic infections didn't develop long-term immunity.

#8 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-05-22 03:59 PM | Reply

This is why 'going back to normal' is a bad idea.

#9 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2020-05-22 04:41 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Asymptomatic or presymptomatic?

#6 | Posted by Tor

Most likely both.

#10 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2020-05-22 05:01 PM | Reply

Madbomber is like the Honey Badger.... He don't care!

#11 | Posted by Corky at 2020-05-22 06:17 PM | Reply

America should let jihadists wearing suicide bomb vests on planes because they haven't killed people in a while.

#12 | Posted by bored at 2020-05-22 07:09 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"How many people right now don't even know they have COVID-19 but will spread it to others with the right demanding we go back to acting like we aren't in the 2nd inning of a pandemic?"

First, the vast majority of people have little to fear from COVID, so there is no good reason why they should stay home. Those who are at risk should be the ones isolating themselves.

I went to a Biergarten for lunch yesterday. I'm 45, and I was one of the youngest people in the place. If I had to guess, I'd say the average age was 65-70. So those at higher risk. Yet here they were, out drinking and smoking and being very German. They just didn't care. And I understand that. If you're old and getting to that age where you're going to die of something, why hide away at home until it happens. Why not g out with your friends and get drunk?

And there is no real means of protecting yourself or others at a restaurant. It's not like you can wear a mask while drinking a beer.

#13 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-05-23 04:38 AM | Reply

#13 | Posted by madbombee

Which is why my wife and I won't be frequenting restaurants until this is over. She has asthma and had a near fatal bout of pneumonia that damaged the lower lobes in her lungs. And we are not out of the woods where I live. They're still reporting hundreds of new cases every week. And that's after all the effort most made the past month. With the 'reopening,' I expect those numbers will start to rise from their current weekly average.

I guess you're somewhere where the virus isn't too prevalent. That isn't the story here stateside.

#14 | Posted by americanunity at 2020-05-23 06:00 AM | Reply

Unfortunately for you and your wife, there's not really a safe answer to emerge from isolation. And there may not be until a vaccine is discovered.

#15 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-05-23 06:26 AM | Reply

I learned something new this week I hadn't read but I saw first hand.

HIPAA laws still apply during an event such as a dangerous virus.

If a coworker becomes ill with the virus, the employer is not allowed to tell anyone.

The question remains would the laws be enforced.

However, I saw an employer withhold that information from the company.

When I asked why I was told HIPAA laws.

#16 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2020-05-23 06:29 AM | Reply

Depends on the size of the work place. Most places are saying "someone" tested positive but not announcing who.

Thing is in my work place we have 20 people if "someone" tested positive and we closed for a deep cleaning it wouldn't take Sherlock Holmes to figure out who wasn't back after the cleaning. A buddy of mine has 500 people at his location same thing happening there and no way he would know unless it was one of his close co-workers.

I haven't been watching you guys but I imagine it's similar. I do see you have done quite a bit more test per population than we have. So while your case numbers look bad at a glance you are probably doing better in catching them than we are so that should give you some hope.

#17 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2020-05-23 07:05 AM | Reply

Tao,

"someone"?

hmm....I wonder who?

Could be the guy that won't be coming in next week.

Just part of the crazy culture today.

"we're obeying the HIPAA laws"

#18 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2020-05-23 07:31 AM | Reply

HIPAA laws still apply during an event such as a dangerous virus.

HIPAA laws only apply to the PERSONAL health information of individuals from public disclosure to non-health service entities without that person's express permission.

They do not preclude public acknowledgement and release of collective health information.

However, I don't believe there are laws that require private entities to release specific health information (other than public pressure or to escape future backlash for being negligent in doing so if such actions lead to negative public health repercussions), nor do individual states - as we're seeing with states refusing to identify the locations and breakdowns of infections at meat processing facilities - just the big picture totals.

#19 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-05-23 11:04 AM | Reply

Tony,

ok....in simple terms....

Are you saying you believe employers are allowed to discuss an employees health status with other employees or not?

#20 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2020-05-23 04:09 PM | Reply

#15 | Posted by madbomber

We go to the store and such. But we do what everyone should be doing; wearing masks and practicing proper hand hygiene. But going out in crowds where most people aren't following common sense measures is out of the question.

The public reaction to this pandemic is following that of the Spanish Flu; lockdown, relaxing measures when it warms up outside. This fall/winter we'll probably see a dramatic rise in cases as people cluster back indoors.

#21 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2020-05-23 04:25 PM | Reply