Saturday, May 23, 2020

GOP Gov. Doug Burgum (of North Dakota) on Friday offered a plea to stop the madness. Burgum suggested the debate over masks was being needlessly politicized and that those who are bucking federal health officials' guidance should rethink their posture. The subtext of the remarks was pretty clear: This is a needless culture war.

Comments

"I would really love to see in North Dakota that we could just skip this thing that other parts of the nation are going through where they're trading a divide " either it's ideological or political or something " around masks versus no mask," Burgum said. "This is a, I would say, senseless dividing line, and I would ask people to try to dial up your empathy and your understanding."

Burgum then want on, getting emotional.

"If someone is wearing a mask, they're not doing it to represent what political party they're in or what candidates they support," Burgum said, before his voice began breaking. "They might be doing it because they've got a 5-year-old child who's been going through cancer treatments. They might have vulnerable adults in their life who currently have covid, and they're fighting."

Burgum concluded his thought: "I would just love to see our state, as part of being North Dakota Smart, also be North Dakota Kind, North Dakota Empathetic."

Good on Burgum.

#1 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-05-23 10:37 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

ND is among the states currently experiencing a dramatic rise in COVID-19 cases.

#2 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2020-05-23 03:30 PM | Reply

Womp ------ing womp!!!!!

#3 | Posted by zelkova at 2020-05-23 10:16 PM | Reply

Having to wear pants also takes away my rights.

Change my mind.

#4 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-05-23 10:27 PM | Reply

There there, Snoofy.
You can still wear a dress.

#5 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-05-23 11:02 PM | Reply

RINO

#6 | Posted by bored at 2020-05-23 11:58 PM | Reply

When this s**t first hit the fan I remember how hard it was to find a mask. I finally got one from my doctor's office and I was so happy I thought it was worth it's weight in gold.

Looking back now I wonder why businesses, like Walmarts for example, wasn't passing them out for free at every store. It would have been so easy to start saving lives early.

#7 | Posted by Twinpac at 2020-05-24 12:39 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

When this s**t first hit the fan I remember how hard it was to find a mask.

Just wait until November.

I found a shelf full of cartridges for my half face P100 respirator at Menard's a few weeks ago. Bought the max I could.

#8 | Posted by jpw at 2020-05-25 12:55 AM | Reply