Monday, May 25, 2020

Umair Haque: I don't mean that all Americans are idiots. I mean that, for example, more or less everyone who wants to carry a gun to Starbucks, deny their neighbours healthcare, make people beg for medicine online, and not let anyone in society ever retire ... all of those people in the world, by and large, are Americans. Nobody else -- nobody in the whole world at this point in history -- thinks such things are remotely desirable.

Comments

Most of the social ills that are described here are the legacy of an open frontier and westward expansion. Slavery was also a big factor. Americans see only their own self interest because of an ethic of exploitation,of the land,of other people,of circumstances. The frontier was an escape valve for social pressures; Misfits, the criminal, hard working people looking for a way to get rich.

Exploitation became synonymous with freedom,the land was rich and full of easily exploited resources, timber,rich soils, wild game in abundance. Greedy men killed the few local inhabitants without much scruple. Government backed the removal of the survivors to Indian Territory. They lived there until gold and oil were found and then they were casually pushed aside to create the state is Oklahoma.

The whole American story is one of wasteful destruction of living resources to enrich a tiny minority of people. They justified this evil by calling it free enterprise and "progress". Mostly it was just a land grab for wealthy investors and connected government officials.

The was no golden age in American Life. It is rotten to the core. The founders of the republic were greedy men who didn't want to pay their taxes. They OWNED people as living chattels.

It not surprising at all that we have become a selfish, greedy, militaristic, nation of people who can't cooperate enough to have a common good. We always were that very thing. We just got bigger and better at being destructive and wasteful.

Future generations will see America as a blight on civilization,a purely negative force in history. Our great MYTHS will be debunked.

Our "greatness" akin to that of The Third Reich.

#1 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-05-25 02:16 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

#1 | Posted by Effeteposer

Some salient points...but, overall, a bit melodramatic.

#2 | Posted by Angrydad at 2020-05-25 02:39 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Sorry about that,you're correct of course. This pandemic crap is making me a little batschitt is all. I'm not doing well emotionally today.

#3 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-05-25 03:10 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The world watches America like America watched The Tiger King.

#4 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2020-05-25 04:40 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

#3 | Posted by Effeteposer

Join the (social distancing) crowd.

#5 | Posted by Angrydad at 2020-05-25 04:49 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Make America's Great Anihilation

Yay... never been prouder
They are jealous of our freedoms

***heavy sigh***
So much winning...

#6 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2020-05-25 05:14 PM | Reply

The American Dream dies with the bang of MAGA fools chugging bleach and shooting AR-15s at the coronavirus at the behest of Trump/GOP, and their idiots and enablers.

#7 | Posted by censored at 2020-05-25 05:23 PM | Reply

America's do-gooder history won't be erased that easily.

Once the evil demon is exorcized, we'll be back in business again.

I think the world knows that.

#8 | Posted by Twinpac at 2020-05-25 05:40 PM | Reply

Who wouldn't be scared of idiots with guns?

Only an idiot. And especially an idiot with a gun.

#9 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-05-25 06:58 PM | Reply

Those who are taking freedom for granted are doomed. Millions are not paying attention how dictators operate around the world and of course they are unable to compare them with the Republican Party under Traitor Trump.

#10 | Posted by DemJoe at 2020-05-25 07:39 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I agree with pretty much the entire premise of this article. Republicans are stupid, horrid people. And for that reason, no Republicans will post here.

#11 | Posted by moder8 at 2020-05-25 08:01 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

This is where Covid and the covidiots might be a blessing. Encourage them to own the libs and get Covid. Then die.
We will only rid the planet of half a million of them this pandemic, but there will be other pandemics.

#12 | Posted by bored at 2020-05-25 08:23 PM | Reply

I have family in Norway. They, like the rest of the world at large, have us pegged. Exactly as the author describes, we are seen as idiots. My son lives over there. Nobody wears masks there, but not because they're arrogant ------ like in the USA but because they don't have to. They have COVID-19 COMPLETELY under control. Movie theaters are open. Speaking to my son's Norwegian aunt a couple of weeks ago, she asked if our President really said people could use disinfectant to prevent/treat COVID-19. I let her know it is true, and we laugh at the idiot in The White House. But it's a sad laughter for me in a way, because I am also embarrassed to be an American while I laugh...

#13 | Posted by babyhuey at 2020-05-25 11:11 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

American Idiot - Green Day

#14 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2020-05-26 03:51 AM | Reply

When speaking to my friends in other countries we do often spend at least half the conversation laughing at my president... then I realize it is my president. It is my country that is the joke.

We pride ourselves on how well we foster prosperity through knowledge. protect it with strength, share our innovation, and keep the peace through diplomacy.

Yet the last two rich boy republicl0wns... men born of the prosperity and benefits of being here... run the country into the ground because... BOTH TIMES... they were put in office to "shake things up". Thing is... they aren't the ones that get shook up.

#15 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2020-05-26 05:31 AM | Reply

RIT, you just make me laugh, other countries? Pride through knowledge...that really makes me laugh, strength? Innovation? and diplomacy?

Is that what is going on through the last 4 years trying to take down our elected leader because you just can't believe he won?

#16 | Posted by Crassus at 2020-05-26 05:48 AM | Reply | Funny: 2

RIGHT/TRITE

I have a similar experience. I play chess with a professor from Oslo. He's more worried about America than he is horrified.

In fact, I'm the one who is horrified when he tells me how much he pays in taxes.

#17 | Posted by Twinpac at 2020-05-26 06:52 AM | Reply

The world is right to fear the U.S.,
for as of late, we are certainly NOT
acting as a Stabilizing Factor across
the planet. From our insistence on
an Oil First energy program, often a
'Oil at All Costs' energy program,
along with the countless wars we have
started or joined to promote it. And now
this, a total moron and fraud as a POTUS,
a hateful wretch of a man, who leads a
hateful wretch of a Party. The thing
that keeps me up at night, is that 43%
of the nation, is just as willfully blind,
angry, and incompetent as Trump is...
And THAT, is rightfully feared...

#18 | Posted by earthmuse at 2020-05-26 08:13 AM | Reply

no Republicans will post here.
#11 | Posted by moder8

I'm afraid that you're wrong there. Trolls gotta troll.

#19 | Posted by SomebodyElse at 2020-05-26 11:27 AM | Reply

#17 | Posted by Twinpac

A guitar player friend of mine is married to a Norwegian. When they wanted to relocate from the U.S. back to Norway, the Norwegian government paid all the expenses; flights, shipping their household, resettlement costs ... the whole enchilada. They get lots of benefits for higher taxes and consistently rate themselves as a happier population with better quality of life than we U.S. citizens rate our ourselves.

#20 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2020-05-26 11:36 AM | Reply

#20 | POSTED BY AMERICANUNITY

That's because in 'Murica! misery is happiness.

#21 | Posted by jpw at 2020-05-26 03:58 PM | Reply

I hate to blame it to the author but I live in a Latin American country and the right wing is just as ugly down here and thinks just like stupid right wingers back in the states. I have also lived and traveled in Europe and the right wingers there are the same as well. It is a sickness called narcism mixed in with a large dose of selfishness and egotism. But the biggest ingredients are greed, gluttony, bigotry and hypocrisy.

#22 | Posted by tknees at 2020-05-26 05:37 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

He is leaving office in disgrace and taking a chunk of American's soul with it. What a pig.

#23 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2020-05-27 06:01 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1