Wednesday, May 27, 2020

In 2017, Protect Our Defenders (POD) published a groundbreaking report that brought substantial and persistent racial disparities in the military justice system to light. POD's report, based on information obtained through a series of Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests, led Congress to mandate an investigation into racial disparities and data collection in the U.S. military. The subsequent investigation by the U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) confirmed widespread racial disparities first identified by POD. The 2019 GAO report concluded that the military failed to identify and address the causes of such disparities. In 2020, Congress directed the DoD to transform how the military tracks, monitors, investigates, and addresses racial disparities in the justice system.

Comments

Racism, as an institutional policy, is alive and well in our country. Many still claim that racism is a myth.

#1 | Posted by horstngraben at 2020-05-27 10:32 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

Wait, I heard here that to succeed in the military you need to be either smart or black.

#2 | Posted by leftcoastlawyer at 2020-05-27 11:36 PM | Reply

"Many still claim that racism is a myth."

I'd actually claim that, in the Joseph Campbell "The Power of Myth" sense of the word myth.

But obviously what you're referring to is people who claim institutional, systemic racism simply doesn't exist in America.

Truth is, racism is a pretty big part of the American Myth. As it should be, since racial slavery was instrumental to this country's early growth.

#3 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-05-27 11:44 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I was in the AF many years ago, 67-73(67-70 active) and the airmen in my field (43151E Jet Acft Over Two Engines) were frequently promoted with minimum time in grade. Black people were represented in the OMS Squadron at about the same percentage as back home. I made SSGT(E5) in 3.5 years, and there at least two Black sergeants from my squadron promoted on the same orders as me to SSGT. If you did not mess up too egregiously, you made rank. There was a war on, people were leaving as fast as the tech schools could create replacements. Some became civilian airplane mechanics; but many like myself, including my close friend, one of those Black SSGTs, went to college on the Vietnam GI Bill!

#4 | Posted by john47 at 2020-05-28 12:19 AM | Reply

Why does it seem that the Air Force is always the most ------ up when it comes to issues of religion, race and gender?

#5 | Posted by moder8 at 2020-05-28 01:00 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Because they have an inferiority complex when it comes to the Army and Navy, since they're the youngest branch of the military (the Marines are part of the Navy). They tend to think that they have something to prove to the rest of the world. Also the pilot mystic plays a role, particularly when it comes to people moving from the enlisted ranks to the officer corp. In all of the other branches of the service, with the exception of Naval aviators and to a lesser extent, Army pilots, the skills acquired by an enlisted man working his way up the ranks are really the same skills important to an officer. This results in a 'God-complex' among the officer corp of the Air Force.

OCU

#6 | Posted by OCUser at 2020-05-28 01:12 AM | Reply

More evidence of institutional racism.

Hey BOAZ, you ready to take me up on my five year-old compromise yet?

#7 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2020-05-28 02:12 AM | Reply

#3 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

It's truly an injustice that so many people these days ignore this fact and the impact it has on our psyche.

#8 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2020-05-28 02:14 AM | Reply

Why does it seem that the Air Force is always the most ------ up
#5 | POSTED BY MODER8 AT 2020-05-28 01:00 AM | FLAG:

Too many officers, too few grunts.

#9 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2020-05-28 08:12 AM | Reply

#5 | Posted by moder8

Because it's run by cabal of racist evangelicals.

#10 | Posted by qcp at 2020-05-28 08:24 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

#5 | Posted by moder8

Because it's run by cabal of racist evangelicals.

#10 | Posted by qcp at 2020-05-28 08:24 AM

Dear QCP,

In the Sixties there were Evangelicals in the ranks; but they were ostracized by the rest of us...no drugs...no alcohol...no sex...no pointless fistfights...etc. I usually got along with the overt Xtians, they seemed to respect me for how well I did my job, but we NEVER hung out after work. By the end of my active duty, the Jesus Freaks had become more numerous...almost like Command encouraged them or something.

On race...there were serious racists among us, Black airmen became increasingly militant as they came to understand how they were abused by racist military police and squadron officers. The turmoil in the ranks became endemic by late 1970 when I took my SEA early-out and went back to college.

John47

#11 | Posted by john47 at 2020-05-28 12:13 PM | Reply

The navy is no better if not worse.

#12 | Posted by fresno500 at 2020-05-28 12:35 PM | Reply

Sickle cell disease keeps a lot of blacks out of the Air Force.

#13 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-05-28 07:19 PM | Reply