Thursday, May 28, 2020

Michele L. Norris: These two storylines -- the black man confronted by white fragility in Central Park and the black man confronted with police brutality in Minneapolis -- will forever be in conversation with each other.

Comments

Amy Cooper wishes she could take back the words she barked at Christian Cooper. She said later that she meant no harm. "I reacted emotionally and made false assumptions about his intentions when, in fact, I was the one who was acting inappropriately by not having my dog on a leash," she said. "I am well aware of the pain that misassumptions and insensitive statements about race cause and would never have imagined that I would be involved in the type of incident that occurred with Chris."

But in the moment that mattered, she weaponized her privilege and her tears to imperil the life of a black man.

[George] Floyd's face was on the pavement. His hands were cuffed behind his back. The sickening picture of the Minneapolis officer with his hands in his pockets and his knee pressed hard on Floyd's neck like a farm hand trying to control a wild steer will forever be a symbol of diabolically aggressive policing.

But the only way it leads to real and lasting change is for police departments and the communities they serve to examine all the ways individuals purposely hold others down with decisions that propel some forward in life and keep others relegated to society's lower rungs.

The full title of this article was too long to fit -
'How Amy Cooper and George Floyd represent two versions of racism that black Americans face every day'.
At this point, life is what it has evolved into over the 400 years since enslaved Africans were brought to these shores to labor for European expatriates. But there should be no denial that the vestiges of prejudice and ignorance still impact far too many lives day after day, often far outside the view of viral videos taken by obsequious cell phone cameras. The American Experience comes with different rules dependent upon time, place and circumstances often beyond the recognition of the players. Depending upon who you, consequences of being caught on the wrong side of some experiences can and does threaten both lives and freedoms.

#1 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-05-28 12:57 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I originally misread the thread title and thought it was about the racism displayed by Amy Cooper and Chris Cooper. The latter was looking to bring out the "inner Karen" in someone, and he found it. Is this the type of racism black Americans face every day?

What happened to George Floyd was an example of police brutality that people of all races face every day. It may or may not have been racially motivated.

#2 | Posted by sentinel at 2020-05-28 01:34 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The latter was looking to bring out the "inner Karen"

Did you bother to even read what Amy had to say about her own conduct and responsibility for what happened?

"I reacted emotionally and made false assumptions about his intentions when, in fact, I was the one who was acting inappropriately by not having my dog on a leash she said. I am well aware of the pain that misassumptions and insensitive statements about race cause and would never have imagined that I would be involved in the type of incident that occurred with Chris. I am well aware of the pain that misassumptions and insensitive statements about race cause and would never have imagined that I would be involved in the type of incident that occurred with Chris."
Would you now like to acknowledge that not even Amy agrees with your viewpoints? She never says one word about Chris doing anything wrong to or towards her, so who made you an authority on the subject? Nothing but your own ignorance, privilege, and prejudice.

She admits to making "false assumptions about his intentions." Isn't it time for you to do the same?

#3 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-05-28 01:50 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Not that you know it isn't, you can shut up about it.

#4 | Posted by REDIAL at 2020-05-28 01:58 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"Would you now like to acknowledge that not even Amy agrees with your viewpoints?

She says she was reacting to an erroneous assumption about his intentions. Nothing she said contradicts what I said.

#5 | Posted by sentinel at 2020-05-28 02:35 PM | Reply

Nothing she said contradicts what I said.

BS.

"You're not going to like what I'm going to do next," I assumed we were being threatened when all he had intended to do was record our encounter on his phone. He had every right to request that I leash my dog in an area where it was required.
He was wrong to escalate it even further after his tactic backfired and scared the woman.

POSTED BY SENTINEL AT 2020-05-28 07:46 AM | REPLY

According to Amy, Christian didn't escalate anything as you've posted time after time, using prejudicial language to make your wrong assumptive viewpoint. Amy escalated the encounter herself by misinterpreting his comment as she unequivocally stated in her statement.

You are a bald-faced unrepentant liar.

#6 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-05-28 02:52 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Nothing she said contradicts what I said. They both could have de-escalated the argument at numerous points, and they both chose not to. She felt threatened by his behavior, as I said, and her words confirm this. He has never at point said that he felt threatened by anything that she said or did. He can't even claim that he was worried about her calling the police because he explicitly encouraged her to do so, per his own recording.

#7 | Posted by sentinel at 2020-05-28 03:23 PM | Reply

Nothing she said contradicts what I said.

Everything she says contradicts what you wrongly are loathe to admit.

She. Was. Wrong.

She says that she was wrong and that Christian was within his rights to act as he did. She does not request any apology from him as you repeatedly did. He has nothing to apologize for. His ability to enjoy that particular section of the park was negatively impacted by Cooper and her dog. He was following the rules and regulations, she wasn't.

Why can't you simply admit that you're wrong?

#8 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-05-28 03:40 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

They both could have de-escalated

Requesting that someone follow the law isn't escalating a situation.

Refusing to do so. Calling the cops. Over reacting. Is.

She felt threatened by his behavior the color of his skin.

Here's the thing. She may not consider herself a racist. She probably doesn't hate Black people. She may have friends and acquaintances that are black or a different ethnicity.

But, there are a lot of factors and stimuli in our society that conditions people to fear and mistrust black people.

Television is a big factor, whether it's shows or the news. Reenforcing negative stereotypes is a constant.

#9 | Posted by ClownShack at 2020-05-28 03:41 PM | Reply

#9 | POSTED BY CLOWNSHACK

Most sociologists and criminologists, in my educated opinion, would absolutely agree.

#10 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2020-05-28 03:49 PM | Reply

"She. Was. Wrong."

Nobody has said otherwise. He wasn't a perfect angel either.

#11 | Posted by sentinel at 2020-05-28 03:54 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Sentinel has appropriated Trump's 'Never admit you're wrong! Never apologize!"

Pretty sure, as it turns out, he was right; she didnt like it. Hope she finds a new job and a new pet. I suggest a lizard.

#12 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2020-05-28 06:18 PM | Reply

I'm not sure if the crazy lady even qualifies as a racist.

She makes me think of Patrick Bateman.

cold calculating and if she had a chainsaw she'd have used it on the artist.

other people clearly don't exist to her.

#13 | Posted by Tor at 2020-05-28 07:16 PM | Reply

"It was always obvious that when he said that 'if she was gonna do what she wanted then so was he, and she was not going to like it' referred to videoing and posting the vid."

That was never obvious, and regardless of whatever the confused cat lady now thinks he meant by it, it still looks like he referring to enticing her dog with treats after she said "he won't come to you", according to his own transcript of the event. He only started recording after that freaked her out.

#14 | Posted by sentinel at 2020-05-28 08:15 PM | Reply

I guess shutting up about it just isn't in the cards.

#15 | Posted by REDIAL at 2020-05-28 09:33 PM | Reply

"I guess shutting up about it just isn't in the cards."

Not if other people aren't going to stop lying about what actually happened, according to his own account.

#16 | Posted by sentinel at 2020-05-28 11:03 PM | Reply

Ever thought about taking a stab at the topic of the thread?

#17 | Posted by REDIAL at 2020-05-28 11:46 PM | Reply

He only started recording after that freaked her out.
#14 | POSTED BY SENTINEL

He didn't freak her out.
She freaked out on him.
Try reading her apology.

#18 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-05-28 11:53 PM | Reply

I did, in comment #2.

#19 | Posted by sentinel at 2020-05-29 03:09 AM | Reply

#7 | POSTED BY SENTINEL

How could he have "de-escalated" again? I guess by walking away from her doing the wrong thing (he's black so I guess doesn't have the right to "stand your ground").

She "escalated" by calling the police and saying that there was a black person threatening her life. And you are arguing that his response to that behavior should be do EXACTLY WHAT SHE WANTS (stop videotaping her and let her chase him away from a public area he has a right to be in).

You know... maybe that is why she displayed this unconscionable behavior. Because people like you would be supporting her by saying that it should have worked, and that the black guy was wrong for not appeasing her unreasonable demands.

You were born too late. You would have been much more comfortable in the 1930's when appeasement was popular.

#20 | Posted by gtbritishskull at 2020-05-29 05:28 PM | Reply

"How could he have "de-escalated" again?"

When she told him that she felt threatened, he could have said "Hey, hold on a minute! I am not threatening you. I was just trying to get you to put your dog on a leash. I am not trying to harass you or ruin your life by filming you. I am filming you for my own protection."

Instead, he chose to compete with her stupidity. He did nothing to defuse the situation, because at that point he was harassing her and intending to ruin her life with the video recording. It has nothing to do with him being a black man and everything to do with him being a cad.

#21 | Posted by sentinel at 2020-05-30 11:08 PM | Reply

"When she told him that she felt threatened"

Yeah, about that:

"I reacted emotionally and made false assumptions about his intentions when, in fact, I was the one who was acting inappropriately by not having my dog on a leash"

I agree with Amy.

No need to bend over backwards to accommodate someone who is in the wrong.

#22 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-05-30 11:15 PM | Reply

Sentinel isn't going to let this one go.

So here: you're right Sentinel. Thank you for opening my eyes.

#23 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2020-05-30 11:22 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1