Monday, June 01, 2020

Dozens of journalists have been sacked after Microsoft decided to replace them with artificial intelligence software. Staff who maintain the news homepages on Microsoft's MSN website and its Edge browser -- used by millions of Britons every day -- have been told that they will be no longer be required because robots can now do their jobs.

Comments

Are they "journalists" of "content aggregators?"

My view is they are more the latter than the former.

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-05-31 07:51 PM | Reply

Microsoft dumped creating original content years ago. These were people tweaking titles and wording mainly. This is just the beginning of the AI job destruction wave. You are going to see a LOT more of this - AI replacing people. These were relatively easy jobs to replace and those are going to be the first but as time goes on you will start to see this in labs and other more technical areas. Jobs leaving the US for China are not going there and being done by hand. Most are going into factories even more automated than here in the US with people with engineering degrees running and maintaining the plants. That isn't particularly AI but AI and Automation are part of "Industry 4.0".

This is something I deal with on a daily basis now. This is a complaint/rant honestly... It is all about more with less. My CEO wants to know what my team is doing to create I4 in our company. I don't see it as my job to create the change for many reasons. He is one of them honestly. The ideas should be coming to my group from the operations groups and us enabling them. It doesn't work well in our organization with the IT group driving. I learned that years ago in a rather harsh manner when I was pushing hard for change with this same management team. Now when they come with ideas I put a dollar figure to them and a rough timeline. It's not my fault when they don't say "do it".

#2 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2020-06-01 12:03 PM | Reply

Never thought the day would arrive that would make Yahoo News look good.

#3 | Posted by LesWit at 2020-06-01 01:45 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#2 | POSTED BY GALAXIEPETE

We could do that here too!

Oh wait, we refuse to educate our own citizens to handle this type of job, i.e. running a factory of machines.

Instead, Trump wants to bring back basic factory jobs and pretend those low paid jobs will save everything.

#4 | Posted by Sycophant at 2020-06-01 01:59 PM | Reply

#4 | Posted by Sycophant

What is reported is that the United States graduates roughly 70,000 undergraduate engineers annually, whereas China graduates 600,000 and India 350,000. The China and India numbers may be exaggerated (in particular China) but it is what is reported. I believe the University of Michigan in China graduates about 35k alone though. Speaking frankly - how many of the US grads are foreign students?

That said, even if we pushed for more it would have to be PARENTS pushing as well. A lot of the graduates I know/knew were seriously overachieving getting those degrees here as it is. It isn't that we don't have people smart enough. We aren't asking for them here. They won't work like the people in China do even if they are educated. We don't have the culture to generate them either. Either in the early education system or the cost of college.

In China, these are the people operating the factories. I watched a 60 minutes segment on about 10 years ago - maybe more now I believe it was a Sauder plant, if it wasn't same type of products. The entire plant was run from a control room by 5 engineers who did everything inside the plant from operate to maintenance. In the lumber yard outside there were a few dozen people stripping bark by hand to prep for the plant. Bark stripping is easily automated. The only reason those people were working there was they need jobs for the less educated and talented... Oh ya and those engineers were making $35k/year.

#5 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2020-06-01 03:34 PM | Reply