Monday, June 01, 2020

Shammara Lawrence: I first learned about the 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre on Tumblr, sometime during high school, while aimlessly scrolling down my feed. I saw jarring photos of houses engulfed in flames. Despite having taken AP U.S. history in high school, no teacher had taught my classes anything about the destruction of Black Wall Street.

Comments

This is not something they teach in school. Especially in the South.

I wonder why...

#1 | Posted by Sycophant at 2020-06-01 03:16 PM | Reply

I feel like this is where we're heading if President Trump has his way.

#2 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2020-06-01 03:29 PM | Reply

There were very fine people on both sides of the Tulsa race massacre.

~ #----------- Trump ~

#3 | Posted by reinheitsgebot at 2020-06-01 10:02 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Thanks for posting this, Bruce. I referenced it in the Nooner on its 99th anniversary in contrast to some right-wingers talking about the "riots" going on today. This inequity has been reinforced through law after law since.

Timely.

#4 | Posted by YAV at 2020-06-01 10:06 PM | Reply

There were bigger race riots in Chicago in 1919, most Americans don't know about them either. We try to ignore the things that don't fit our rosy view of the past. America has a history of this kind of thing.

#5 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-06-01 11:10 PM | Reply

As a white guy living in Okiehomie, I cannot understand why African Americans live here. The native Americans are getting theirs finally, thanks to oil and casinos, but the treatment of African Americans here continues to be appalling...

#6 | Posted by catdog at 2020-06-02 09:19 AM | Reply