Tuesday, June 02, 2020

Twenty minutes after leaving his job at a Brooklyn hospital on Saturday night, 32-year-old Rayne Valentine was lying in the fetal position on the sidewalk. He'd been beaten and kicked by New York police officers, his hospital ID smeared with his own blood, he told The Daily Beast.

Comments

a guy in kc. a clean cut white guy, was told by police to go to a certain area. they then shot him in the eye with a rubber bullet. he's now blind in that eye and they may not be able to save the destroyed eyeball.

#1 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2020-06-02 05:06 PM | Reply

Pigs. Why are cops so violent and stupid? We need some relief. Our nation is doomed,I fear. If America is destroyed it will be from within. Suicide is our coming fate as a Nation. Trump sped it along but we were on that road anyway.

#2 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-06-02 05:06 PM | Reply

It's not Cops. It's SOME cops.

The issue is that Police Unions and Police Departments protect them.

#3 | Posted by Sycophant at 2020-06-02 05:11 PM | Reply

#4 | Posted by sentinel at 2020-06-02 06:00 PM | Reply

@#3 ... The issue is that Police Unions and Police Departments protect them. ...

The Blue Wall of Silence.

#5 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-06-02 07:27 PM | Reply

More from the cited article...

...But around midnight, he came across a "swarm" of police officers near the entrance to the Church Avenue subway station, chasing a "kid in this yellow and black hoodie," and Valentine had his phone out recording.

"I stayed out of the way," said Valentine. "I was up against one of the closed shops just recording. I didn't say anything to antagonize them. I was walking backwards as they shouted back up.' And then this cop pushed me, and there were other cops hitting me on my legs and stuff too, but my head is the only thing that got seriously injured."

In the video, which was reviewed by The Daily Beast, officers shout at Valentine to "move back" and he responds "I am moving back!"

During the beating, Valentine said, he kept getting kicked and his phone stopped recording. He said he told the officers, "I'm just trying to go home," but that they responded: "Well, you picked the wrong time to do that."...

[emphasis mine]

#6 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-06-02 10:12 PM | Reply

@#4 ... I said it before, and I'll say it again: ---- this false choice between anarchy and police state thuggery. ...

Bumper stickers are nice, but you really need to explain yourself better.

#7 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-06-02 10:13 PM | Reply

Sad thing is that the cops also take this as an opportunity to get away with stuff.

We learned the real nitty gritty on that here in STL during the Ferguson riots.

www.stltoday.com

#8 | Posted by jpw at 2020-06-02 10:24 PM | Reply

@#8 ... I think he's saying you can be against the cops and rioters and be right in both instances. ..

That's one of my interpretations as well.

But I prefer that such an ambiguous phrase be explained in more that "bumper sticker" detail before I try to understand the context and real meaning of it.

#9 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-06-02 10:47 PM | Reply

Well, of course they are attacking them. In the words of an idiotic musician, I'ts a free for all!.

#10 | Posted by madscientist at 2020-06-02 10:56 PM | Reply

It's like the worst cops in every metropolitan area are f****** up at the same time systematically.

#11 | Posted by Tor at 2020-06-03 12:19 AM | Reply

With so many ex-cops in here, it's tough to figure out who to rape next. But don't worry, every one of them will get a taste, to the brim...
-Bull ------ in every state and federal pen, a year from now

#12 | Posted by catdog at 2020-06-03 09:49 AM | Reply

bull crap

#13 | Posted by Sniper at 2020-06-03 12:42 PM | Reply

#8 | POSTED BY JPW AT 2020-06-02 10:24 PM | REPLY | FLAG:

I agree - so what's the solution? Because until the protests and rioting started, police state thuggery was kind of the status quo, at least some some segments of the population.

If the solution is to address systemic racism in governmental institutions - especially in law enforcement - then lets start doing that. However, it's 60 years after the Civil Rights movement in America; we haven't addressed this issue in any meaningful way. So when peaceful protests against bad cops (and the system that protects them) fail, get overlooked, or get mocked, what is the next step? More ineffective peaceful protest?

Note that I'm not calling for riots. However, when nothing else works, it's understandable when they occur.

#14 | Posted by bartimus at 2020-06-03 12:52 PM | Reply

bull crap

#13 | POSTED BY SNIPER

Umm...there are literally videos of it happening...

Put down the XBox controller and meth pipe.

#15 | Posted by Sycophant at 2020-06-03 01:00 PM | Reply

There has always been racism in New York, even groups of white people hate other groups of white people, so it makes sense that there would be racists with NYPD. Sadly, between Combover Quisling's comments and social media, they feel like they can now let their freak flags fly. Here's hoping NY has the same courage Atlanta had with the six rogue cops who tased and tore those students from their vehicle, this is totally unacceptable.

#16 | Posted by _Gunslinger_ at 2020-06-03 03:58 PM | Reply