Tuesday, June 02, 2020

A Washington DC neighborhood offered shelter to dozens of protesters boxed in by police who were being pepper sprayed and hit. One man took in about 70 strangers into his home to protect them from the onslaught. Other neighbors brought food to his home, hand sanitizer and in the morning, organized rides to take the protesters home.

Comments

Nice story. I am reminded of BruceBanner posting about how he would readily invite protesters into his home. Of course the pro-Trumpers criticized him for the post.

#1 | Posted by horstngraben at 2020-06-02 10:26 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

And the cops wonder why the anger and hatred towards them exists.

This isn't a few bad apples.

And unlike wearing masks in a grocery store this is actually a violation of civil rights.

#2 | Posted by jpw at 2020-06-02 10:26 PM | Reply

@#2 ... And the cops wonder why the anger and hatred towards them exists. ...

That, I suspect is a whole different thread.

But for now, my view is that the police do not wonder that at all. Most, if not all, of them know.

What *I* wonder, however, is why the Blue Wall of Silence seems to prevent the good police from wondering about that in their outside voice.

Are the good police are so traumatized by, and afraid of, the bad the bad police, then maybe that is the problem we need to resolve.

And, for the record, I am still wondering about whether the training we give our police encourages them to murder people.

#3 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-06-02 10:35 PM | Reply

I keep hearing how "Not all police officers..."

I keep seeing cops taking a knee.

I keep seeing videos of the human side of the police.

Our president is agitating for a civil war...how far is this going to go, and when do we see the police start to pick sides so we know who is who in this?

Crazy times.

They deployed the 82nd Airborne in DC today.

#4 | Posted by chuffy at 2020-06-02 11:26 PM | Reply

Doesn't DC have several military garrisons? Why yes, yes it does.

United States Army Military District of Washington

#5 | Posted by madscientist at 2020-06-03 12:07 AM | Reply

@#4 ... Our president is agitating for a civil war. ...

If I may be so forward, my read of your comment says that this is a core concern therein.

I do not disagree, if my assessment of your comment is correct.

At this point I think that Pres Trump is looking for a battle where force wins out over the Constitution.

Let me say that again... I think that Pres Trump is looking for a battle where force wins out over the Constitution.

I wish that I will see actions from Pres Trump to convince me that my opinion is not correct.

As I heard on Fox News a number of years ago... ~you Liberals need to watch out, we are the ones with the guns.~

#6 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-06-03 12:09 AM | Reply

Trump wouldn't know what the Constitution was if it slapped him in the face.

#7 | Posted by madscientist at 2020-06-03 12:12 AM | Reply

"[The protesters] lead with love, and when you lead with love, the country is exactly like this " where we're diverse and we're united," Rahul Dubey said. "They were in there in groups, being pragmatic, they were problem-solving, they were sharing their fears, they were frightened, they were consoling each other. That's the America I know. And if my leaders could actually reproduce what took place in that house in unity, we're going to be a much better country."

www.huffpost.com

From Dubey's lips to God's ears.

#8 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-06-03 12:13 AM | Reply

I hate to break it to Republicans, but Democrats/Liberals own guns, too. Plenty of them.

#9 | Posted by madscientist at 2020-06-03 12:15 AM | Reply

Anyone peacefully supporting human rights is always welcome to shelter with me.

The last shred of belief I had in the police was destroyed by their actions over these peaceful protests.

#10 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2020-06-03 12:24 AM | Reply

Police forcibly removed sevaral priests from the church so Trump could trot over and do his authoritarian dictator act.

Before Trump's Photo-Op, Police Forcibly Removed Priest From Church Grounds

Rev. Gini Gerbasi, who serves as rector at a neighboring church, said armored police forcibly removed her and other priests from the patio of Saint John's Episcopal Church, shortly before President Trump was photographed in front of Saint John's holding a bible.

www.forbes.com

#11 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2020-06-03 03:14 AM | Reply

Trump wouldn't know what the Constitution was if it slapped him in the face.

#7 | Posted by madscientist

Watch the Father of Fallen Muslim Soldier Ask Donald Trump if He Has Read the Constitution

The father of a Muslim Army captain who died in Iraq challenged Donald Trump at the Democratic convention Thursday.

Captain Humayun S.M. Khan of Virginia died in 2004 after a vehicle packed with IEDs exploded near him, and he was buried in Arlington National Cemetery.

Standing on the stage in Philadelphia, his father, Khizr M. Khan, noted Trump's call to ban Muslims from entering the U.S., held up a pocket copy of the Constitution and challenged the Republican nominee.

"Let me ask you: Have you even read the U.S. Constitution? I will gladly lend you my copy. In this document, look for the words liberty and equal protection of law," he said, as the crowd broke into chants of "USA! USA!"

time.com

#12 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2020-06-03 03:34 AM | Reply

AU there are some 4,300 religions in the world..so now do those versus bad ol Trump.;>}

#13 | Posted by Greatamerican at 2020-06-03 03:47 AM | Reply

No, why should I?

He was holding a Christian bible. Guarantee you he's never read one. Idiot doesn't like reading anything unless it has his name in every paragraph. That's what our own intelligence services say.

#14 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2020-06-03 04:14 AM | Reply

Doesn't DC have several military garrisons? Why yes, yes it does.
United States Army Military District of Washington

#5 | POSTED BY MADSCIENTIST AT 2020-06-03 12:07 AM | FLAG:

Those are maintenance men and ceremony managers. That's not a slight, it's their job.

The 1RB from 82nd has drawn their weapons and ammo from Bragg and have been forward deployed to Maryland. 2RB and 3RB are currently on 1 hour deployment notice.

Glad I don't live on federal territory right now.

#15 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2020-06-03 09:07 AM | Reply

I do not disagree, if my assessment of your comment is correct.

Your assessment is correct. Holding the Bible up was a signal. He is speaking to his boogaloo bois, among others. Has been this whole time.

Plenty of evidence to show that vandalism and rioting has been started by outside agitators, in concert with his speeches setting up the use of force to stop it.

They want an armed insurrection, and he sees the writing on the wall. He has biker gangs and cops to back him up, too!

#16 | Posted by chuffy at 2020-06-03 01:07 PM | Reply