Thursday, June 04, 2020

Shawn Dromgoole is a 29-year-old black man who has lived in the same Nashville neighborhood his entire life. [Due to gentrification] (w)ith each passing year, he felt more and more unwelcome, he said. Consumed with fear, Dromgoole took to Facebook and Nextdoor, deciding to finally share his own post. "Yesterday, I wanted to walk around my neighborhood but the fear of not returning home to my family alive kept me on my front porch," he wrote. Unexpectedly, responses from his community started pouring in.

Comments

Neighbors, none of whom Dromgoole had ever spoken with, asked if they could join him on a walk.

"Neighbor, after neighbor, after neighbor started reaching out, telling me they wanted to walk with me," he said.

Last Thursday afternoon, Dromgoole notified his neighbors that he was going for a walk at 6 p.m., and anyone who wanted to join him was welcome.

Dromgoole tied his shoes, ventured off his porch and walked to the meeting spot in a nearby parking lot.

There he found 75 people waiting for him.

"I was so overwhelmed, I still can't find the words," said Dromgoole. "I never wrote that post thinking people would want to walk with me."

The group strolled for almost an hour together, with Dromgoole leading the way as his neighbors followed closely behind.

"It was the most amazing feeling," said Dromgoole. "Everyone was in masks, so you just saw a sea of people, and you couldn't even tell what color skin they had."

Human kindness, understanding and a spirit of community and caring for each other. This is the America we all deserve to live in.

#1 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-06-04 07:10 AM | Reply

All it takes is one Karen to ruin a man's life.

#2 | Posted by Nixon at 2020-06-04 08:24 AM | Reply

"All it takes is one Karen to ruin a man's life."

Or Tyrone.

#3 | Posted by sentinel at 2020-06-04 10:13 AM | Reply

When I lived in Nashville, my house was just past the carpark in the background there. When I sold the house, I was told the new buyer was going to just fix it up a bit. 6 months later, on a trip to the area, I stopped byu and found he'd bulldozed the house and put up 2 multi-family apartments. Many of the other houses (all affordable in that area) have also been treated the same, as well as some high-rise condos just down the street (selling for, last I checked,$350k minimum), so, yeah, it was a nice neighbourhood (though, as with any urban neighbourhood, it DID have the occasional issue) and the people who lived there were lovely people. I left for a job elsewhere, but what I've seen and heard from friends, the neighbourhood is disintegrating because of these real estate developers, gentrification, and new-money slimebags.

#4 | Posted by RevDarko at 2020-06-04 11:16 AM | Reply

Rev: So... if I understand correctly, property values increased after you moved out.

#5 | Posted by moder8 at 2020-06-04 01:01 PM | Reply | Funny: 3

I flagged that funny because I knew Rev would too.

#6 | Posted by Corky at 2020-06-04 01:05 PM | Reply

You're right, Corky. I walked into that one.

#7 | Posted by RevDarko at 2020-06-04 01:27 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

Yeah you did. I hate doing that. I make a serious statement, perhaps even a passionate statement, and all it turns out to be is an underhanded pitch to the next batter up to the plate.

#8 | Posted by moder8 at 2020-06-04 01:35 PM | Reply

it is good to see a story of Hope in
these tough times...

#9 | Posted by earthmuse at 2020-06-04 02:23 PM | Reply

The guy I picked the right way to handle feeling racially isolated.

I read about a case where a pair of elderly Jews faked a hate crime because they felt unwelcome in a neighborhood and thought that was the best way to get people to invite them to events.

#10 | Posted by Tor at 2020-06-04 09:32 PM | Reply