Friday, June 05, 2020

Chad Sanders: White people are pushing me and others like me aside to alleviate their own guilt and prove that they are different from Officer Derek Chauvin, who killed George Floyd in Minneapolis, and Amy Cooper, who tried to weaponize her whiteness by calling police on Christian Cooper, a bird watcher, in Central Park. Black people are being trampled in the process. Many white people I know are spilling over with guilt and overzealous attempts to offer sympathy.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

So please, stop sending #love. Stop sending positive vibes. Stop sending your thoughts. Here are three suggestions on more immediately impactful things to offer instead ...

Comments

This describes most of my Facebook feed this past week in a nutshell.

#1 | Posted by sentinel at 2020-06-05 10:15 PM | Reply

Glad to see this title, because i don't send such texts.

#2 | Posted by e1g1 at 2020-06-05 11:04 PM | Reply

The giving a hoot is the first step. I think there should be less complaining. White folks are out there taking a beating and a bullet for black folks.

#3 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2020-06-05 11:13 PM | Reply

"I think there should be less complaining."

You do realize that you are mirroring the behavior you're complaining about here, right?

#4 | Posted by sentinel at 2020-06-05 11:21 PM | Reply

Isn't it a tad bit unrealistic to expect that the same people who've been unable to recognize systemic racism up until this moment should immediately understand how to begin selfless conversations about the very subject that they experientially know little, if anything about?

#5 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-06-06 12:44 AM | Reply

Glad to see this title, because i don't send such texts.
#2 | POSTED BY E1G1

I sense a business opportunity.
Whites, feeling guilty for being white, but don't know what you can do to help?
For just 50c we'll text your message of support to a Genuine Black Person since you don't know any!

#6 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-06-06 01:04 AM | Reply

I confused the hell out of a black restaurant worker the other day.

Apparently all the other white people were feeling all kinds of guilty though they hadn't done anything wrong and here I was reminding him to put his back mask on.

#7 | Posted by Tor at 2020-06-06 01:26 AM | Reply

#6 | POSTED BY SNOOFY AT 2020-06-06 01:04 AM | REPLY | FLAG:

That's not how you Charity. You raise funds to raise awareness about GBPs.

#8 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2020-06-07 08:55 AM | Reply