Saturday, June 06, 2020

On June 6, 1944, Allied forces crossed the English Channel and began to reclaim the European mainland. That day, 76 years ago, marked a turning point on the Western Front and in World War II.

Comments

Seventy-six years ago thousands of Americans died on a wet beach to destroy the power of someone very much like who is now President of the United States.

#1 | Posted by Zed at 2020-06-06 12:54 PM | Reply

#1 FFS you live in an altered universe.

#2 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2020-06-06 01:33 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

... On June 6, 1944, Allied forces crossed the English Channel and began to reclaim the European mainland. ...

My Dad landed on the beach that day. Fortunately he made it back home, and received a bronze Star for his efforts.

It's hard to imagine what the world would have been like if those thousands had not sacrificed their lives for our Constitution.

#3 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-06-06 01:46 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

GracieAmazed can't even see how Trump emulates the fascists from WWII.

How many protesters did your little boy beat down today, GracieAmazed?

You must be so proud! Does he ever pose with their bloodied faces and send you pictures?

#4 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-06-06 01:52 PM | Reply

76 years ago, Republicans hated Nazis.

Now, they are Nazis.

#5 | Posted by ClownShack at 2020-06-06 02:01 PM | Reply

Look Snoofy, if you spent half the time you spend here sprouting your nonsense looking for a job it would be a win win. It would mean you could only be here part time and free yourself from the addiction you have to that fake Visa debit BOA card that your benefits are loaded on to. FOCUS on what threads are about. Now back to not responding to your moronic posts.

#6 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2020-06-06 02:03 PM | Reply

FOCUS on what threads are about.
#6 | POSTED BY STENCH

Take your own advice, stench.

2 posts on this thread and both are to attack other posters.

#7 | Posted by ClownShack at 2020-06-06 02:06 PM | Reply

Like I need advice from some dried up blind hag who raised a racist thug!!!

If I need advice from you, I'll ask what deodorant to get, okay?

#8 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-06-06 02:06 PM | Reply

"free yourself from the addiction you have to that fake Visa debit BOA card that your benefits are loaded on to."

Would truly love to know how you can:
1. Hate me, for my meager handout.
2. Love Trump, whose handout was in the billions.

I mean, obviously you're able to look past the fact that Trump has taken these handouts, to something that more than outweighs billions of dollars in handouts.

What is that thing?

It's fascism.

#9 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-06-06 02:13 PM | Reply

#5 Lots of republicans were pro Nazi until Pearl Harbor.
Just like now, they don't see the evil until they are attacked.

#10 | Posted by bored at 2020-06-06 02:16 PM | Reply

#10 That's a very good point.
Charles Lindbergh was basically travelling around the country holding MAGA rallies for years, until Pearl Harbor kinda put a damper on fascism in America.

That damper was removed with the fall of the USSR. We no longer had a fascist boogeyman we had to be better than. And so now we're not.

#11 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-06-06 02:24 PM | Reply

Lots of republicans were pro Nazi until Pearl Harbor.

The truth of this statement is staggering.

I always forget America was staying out of WW2. Despite what the Nazis were doing.

Then there were the American companies working with the Germans.

And all the Nazis who were brought back to America and given wonderful jobs in our government.

#12 | Posted by ClownShack at 2020-06-06 02:26 PM | Reply

#11 I don't think the US committing mass murder in Vietnam and South America is evidence of trying to do better than the USSR or any other fascist boogeyman. The US was manipulated to serve fascists.

The sad truth is that America has a large percentage of people eager to murder others, or at least celebrate the murderers.

I think they are victims of propaganda designed to prepare them to defend evil when the good rise against it.

#13 | Posted by bored at 2020-06-06 03:30 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

By fascists I mean the people that ran Dole, Exxon, etc.

#14 | Posted by bored at 2020-06-06 03:32 PM | Reply

"#11 I don't think the US committing mass murder in Vietnam and South America is evidence of trying to do better than the USSR or any other fascist boogeyman."

True dat.

On the domestic front, however, we use to take liberty seriously.

I heard repeatedly as a boy that a big difference between the USA and the USSR is we have the right to travel freely.

Nowadays we have fascists cheering Border Patrol checkpoints, a hundred miles from the border. We have fascists demanding "papers, please" before we can vote. We have state seizure of property with no presumption of innocence via civil forfeiture.

The tools of oppression we use to sustain the hegemony in Central America are being deployed in America. To the cheers of millions of Republicans.

#15 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-06-06 04:21 PM | Reply

#15 Why oppress foreign serfs when there are so many at home?

The repubs used to be about duty to god country and self reliance. Now they serve their donors who are dependent on looting public assets and state sponsored exploitation of workers, in other words, fascists.

#16 | Posted by bored at 2020-06-06 05:22 PM | Reply

There hasn't been even a half-way decent Repub Pres since Ike... who warned against the MIC he knew so well.

If the current one isn't the bottom of that barrel... well, there may never be another one.

#17 | Posted by Corky at 2020-06-06 07:42 PM | Reply

"On this day in 1944: More than 150,000 Allied troops landed in Normandy."

"Biggest antifa rally in history."

twitter.com

#18 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-06-06 10:53 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Both my uncles got shot in the ass.

#19 | Posted by madscientist at 2020-06-07 12:50 AM | Reply

#1 FFS you live in an altered universe.

#2 | POSTED BY GRACIEAMAZED

Is that what you're calling reality these days?

#20 | Posted by jpw at 2020-06-07 10:51 AM | Reply

#6 | POSTED BY GRACIEAMAZED

LOL the goldbricker knocking somebody else's financials.

How are people so lacking in self awareness?

#21 | Posted by jpw at 2020-06-07 10:52 AM | Reply

What a courageous band of brothers participated in that bloodbath. I've watched many Operation Overload/D-Day documentaries and read books about it, but it's still difficult to comprehend just how bloody and scary it was for those who participated, but ran onto the beach anyway.

I had an interesting D-Day anniversary experience in my early 20's:

I was unknowingly hired to play piano/sing at a birthday party held by a well known mafia don (surprise!) for a former Asst. U.S. Attorney who was born on D-Day, attended by half the mob bosses in the U.S. and their sons. Had a hit man standing at the piano, guarding the aisle to the area where everyone was sitting (talk about 'cold dead eyes'!)

After dinner, one of the mob boss's sons got on the microphone and said, "most of you know X and I roomed through college and law school. When we opened a practice outta law school, our first case was Fat Tony. He was facing 15-20 for extortion. WE GOT HIM OFF ON PROBATION!!!" The room exploded in laughter like the scene from Goodfellas.

During a break, I went outside for a smoke. There were 3 groups of 4-5 sons, dressed in expensive suits, standing close to each other (which I later found out was so that no one could lip read what they were saying). One of them hooked his arm around my neck and said, "hey, I like that Billy Joel ----! You're ---- good!" I looked over his shoulder and saw a powder blue Plymouth Fury 20' across the street; 2 FBI agents taking pictures as quickly as their auto-advance would shoot them. I thought, "F***! I probably have an FBI file as a mob entertainer now." LOL

#22 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2020-06-07 03:22 PM | Reply