Saturday, June 06, 2020

Sixty-three years ago, a pancake house opened in California that spawned a nationwide restaurant chain. Now, it's the only one left -- and it's changing its name to meet the changing times amid the country's demonstrations against racism and police brutality. Sambo's in Santa Barbara will remain in business but under a new, undetermined name, owners say on Facebook. "Our family has looked into our hearts and realize that we must be sensitive when others whom we respect make a strong appeal," owners posted. "So today we stand in solidarity with those seeking change and doing our part as best we can."

Comments

omg fer realz?

Daaaaaaaayyyum... I used to live across the street from a Sambos in Pasadena CA.... blech pink orange and brown decor... stayed open all night. Once, I left a friend passed out under a table there. Not on purpose, she was just too heavy to extract. Had a friend pass out in his scrambled eggs there too. I left him with the bill. Bad idea to get drunk and pass out in my presence.

Lots of fights in the parking lot... sort of the Waffle house of the 70's.

#1 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2020-06-06 10:25 PM | Reply

Bad idea to get drunk and pass out in my presence.

Did either remain your friend?
Kind of a suspect move to leave someone behind

#2 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2020-06-07 12:18 AM | Reply

"Bad idea to get drunk and pass out in my presence."
-Bill Cosby

#3 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2020-06-07 12:21 AM | Reply | Funny: 3

There's a little Sambos in Lincoln city, Oregon.
It's independent from the Sambos chain.

It has a tiger as a mascot I think.

#4 | Posted by a_monson at 2020-06-07 01:28 AM | Reply

I didn't realize there were any Sambos left. Whoever decided to keep the name anywhere should be out of a job, long ago.

I remember them in Florida in the 1970's, but thought they'd changed the name of all their locations.

#5 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2020-06-07 04:56 AM | Reply

I did 150 miles on the motorcycle yesterday.

I clocked:
5 confederate flags (3 on poles/houses, 2 on pickups)
1 very well maintained lawn jockey
about a dozen Trump flags.

This is in Ohio.

#6 | Posted by schifferbrains at 2020-06-07 07:53 AM | Reply

I wonder how many murcans even know where the "Sambo" name comes from.

#7 | Posted by contrecoup at 2020-06-07 11:13 AM | Reply

You wait! The "Tar Baby" is next!

#8 | Posted by contrecoup at 2020-06-07 11:13 AM | Reply

#4 yes, that's what I remember from the pancake house placemats - the tiger chased the boy around the tree until he melted into butter. I'm uncertain what other Little Sambo's are all about. It appeared as some Indian childrens story, which I felt was exotic.

#8 Song Of The South has the most musically beautiful racism from Disney. Truly appalling, thanks.

#9 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2020-06-07 04:50 PM | Reply