Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Jerry Brewer: The noose in Bubba Wallace's garage stall cannot be reduced to a strange, isolated misunderstanding. It is a metaphor for America right now, ghastly and irreconcilable and tormenting. Think about the noose in the garage again. What do you see? What do you want to see? Why do we live like this?

Comments

Consider it the race version of the old dress meme. What color do you see? Or in this case, how do you see the world through this bizarre story? If you're jaded or angry about racism, it represents the long, never-ending and perilous fight for equality. If you're in denial about the dreary state of the nation, you're claiming victory in the FBI's conclusion " no NASCAR hate crime, just a case of a stray, old, mistaken noose leftover from last year " and moonwalking back into your bubble. And if you're a straight-up racist, the distressing situation is now hilarious to you.

It was a misunderstanding, all right. And don't expect any understanding to result from it.

Some have tried to compare Bubba Wallace to actor Jussie Smollett, who allegedly staged an assault last year. Some celebrated by nicknaming him "Bubba Smollett," an embarrassing false equivalence. Whatever happened here, it didn't occur because Wallace was seeking to be a victim. There is no evidence of deception on his part. His name was pulled into this mess because a Richard Petty Motorsports team member found a noose in the garage and reported it up the chain of command. Everyone involved " seasoned professionals who know garages like they know their names " found it troubling, so troubling that NASCAR released a statement Sunday night vowing to "identify the person(s) responsible and eliminate them from the sport."

NASCAR had little rational incentive to be so forthcoming unless it had a strong sense that something bad had happened. It also had little rational incentive to do so without multiple highly informed opinions that the knotted rope was not merely a garage pull.

The best read yet on a very multifaceted situation that looks at all sides while articulating certain immutable truths.

#1 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-06-24 12:25 PM | Reply

The timing of this noose was unfortunate. But, although it is childish, it may not have been nefarious. Like a lot of people, I used to play with rope and tie nooses as a kid, some 50 years ago. It never occurred to me who it might be used on. In my case, it was probably just imitation from watching some old western movie.

#2 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2020-06-24 03:18 PM | Reply

Great article, thoughtful, and a message to everyone.

#3 | Posted by YAV at 2020-06-24 03:27 PM | Reply

NASCAR said it was a noose. The FBI said it was a noose. Whether it was directed at Bubba Wallace or not, I believe that there was some good ole boys making an occasional noose joke while working on cars while referring to the noose.

#4 | Posted by horstngraben at 2020-06-24 11:06 PM | Reply

#5 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-06-25 06:54 AM | Reply

"Yes, it was a garage pull for our stall at Talladega, but that was in the solid shape of a noose," [Bubba] Wallace said. "And when my guys seen that, when my crew member had seen that -- who happened to be African American -- he did his research first, and I was very proud of that. David Cropps -- a guy I'll stand by in any trenches, any day -- walked up and down the garages to make sure he wasn't overreacting. And when he seen that the other garage pulls were basically just a solid piece of rope, no knots in them, and we had a knot that was in the shape of a noose -- yeah, that calls [for an investigation]."

"Somebody knows. Whoever tied it knows how to tie a noose. And that's fine," Wallace said. "I don't know if they did it with hate in their heart or what as a joke, but it ended up being a misunderstanding, some will say. But unfortunately, I hate that I'm kinda on the bad end of the deal because of it, just because I was simply given information related to me and we went on with it."

www.espn.com

#6 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-06-25 06:56 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#7 - Really? /sarcasm

#8 | Posted by YAV at 2020-06-25 09:51 AM | Reply

Noose knots are slip knots for obvious reasons. The knot on the pull cord is a bowline, a static knot,(doesn't get tighter with weight on it). If you look hard enough for long enough you will see anything you want to see.

#9 | Posted by docnjo at 2020-06-25 10:00 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

It's a pull cord. The FBI declared no criminality and Wallace has acknowledged, in relieved fashion, that it wasn't what people initially thought it was.

Why the need and desire to keep this story alive?

#10 | Posted by zetaleph at 2020-06-25 10:09 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Why the need and desire to keep this story alive?

I guess reading comprehension is not your strong suit. This article is not just about the noose, it's about perceptions and how each of us can internalize a situation differently depending upon how we arrive at it.

Try reading it before commenting again, maybe you can add your own personal insights instead of quoting something Captain Obvious would say.

#11 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-06-25 10:23 AM | Reply

I keep asking myself that, and yet here you and DocNJO are posting without reading a very good story that is well written and informative.
Instead we get posts over what's been covered from you two, still spinning the story.

#12 | Posted by YAV at 2020-06-25 10:25 AM | Reply

Now that I'm "woke", I see nooses everywhere.

#13 | Posted by visitor_ at 2020-06-25 10:29 AM | Reply

Now that NASCAR had discovered being Woke they are playing us like a fiddle. They are getting the most good publicity out of their recent changes to end their racist history that I won't be surprised if they find a "noose" or any other racist symbol on a weekly basis.

#14 | Posted by danni at 2020-06-25 10:55 AM | Reply

You're only addressing the matter of law as to whether or not it was intentionally placed specifically in Wallace's garage as a message directed toward him. Here is the reason its presence brought the reaction it did initiated by Wallace's black teammate:

Nearly 2,000 Black Americans Were Lynched During Reconstruction

A new report brings the number of victims of racial terror killings between 1865 and 1950 to almost 6,500

And did you miss this relevant fact?

Intent was only one part of the story, but hardly the most important or the most impactful. The noose represents the death and terror visited upon Wallace's ancestors to him and millions of Americans. Trying to get others to understand how many feel and why they feel that way is the issue.

#15 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-06-25 11:01 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Tony, I've got a 'noose' to pull down my attic stairs all my extension cords are wraped in a "noose". You and the woke crowd have beclowned yourselves. Admit it, eat your crow and stop. Just stop.

#16 | Posted by visitor_ at 2020-06-25 11:27 AM | Reply

woke", I see nooses everywhere.

#13 | POSTED BY VISITOR_ AT

Good. Now. Ask yourself.

Are you part of the problem or part of the solution?

#17 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-06-25 11:43 AM | Reply

A pull cord is not a noose. Trying to make it into some obscene symbol only makes racial strife worse.

#18 | Posted by zetaleph at 2020-06-25 11:49 AM | Reply

I'm not erasing history, race baiting, sowing anarchy, chaos and societal unrest, since those are the goals, I'm part of the problem.

#19 | Posted by visitor_ at 2020-06-25 11:51 AM | Reply

"erasing history"

i'm so sick of this dumb talking point.

Has history forgotten the Berlin Wall?

#20 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2020-06-25 11:53 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Give it few years. Year zero is the goal.

#21 | Posted by visitor_ at 2020-06-25 12:12 PM | Reply

The Berlin wall example is really dumb... The Berlin wall was the "Act", it wasn't a symbol it was the dividing line. Once the dividing line fell, it wasn't torn down as a symbol, it was removed as it was the actual wall dividing people.

What would be an accurate comparison, would be.... Are there commemorative pieces dedicated to remembering the wall? You're gotcha would be no, no one wants to remember that. Unfortunately there are sections of the wall that remain and are used in this remembrance fashion.

So time to find a new example because the Berlin wall one sucks.

#22 | Posted by kwrx25 at 2020-06-25 01:13 PM | Reply

A lot of places in the United States have section of the Berlin Wall. The museum here has a section.

#23 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2020-06-25 01:23 PM | Reply

The Berlin wall was a symbol. A HUGE symbol. Reagan knew that when he called "Tear down this wall!"
The wall was the manifestation of the division, the fear, the opposition. It then became the symbol of the split between the Capitalism and Communism.
The wall could have remained and the gates opened, but tearing it down was critical because of what it stood for.

BTW I have a piece of the Berlin Wall.
That's now a symbol with an entirely different meaning.

#24 | Posted by YAV at 2020-06-25 01:31 PM | Reply

NASCAR has finally released an actual picture of the noose.

Here it is.

#25 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-06-25 01:41 PM | Reply

That's not the knot I would use for door pull unless it was for Halloween.

#26 | Posted by visitor_ at 2020-06-25 01:44 PM | Reply

One more thing:

NASCAR conducted a thorough sweep of all the garage areas in all 29 tracks in which they race, which encompasses 1,684 garage stalls.

"We found only 11 total that had a pull-down rope tied in a knot, and only one noose - the one discovered on Sunday in Bubba Wallace's garage," Phelps said.

www.espn.com

#27 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-06-25 01:46 PM | Reply

Why would you use that material for a pull down rope when nylon is cheaper to use. Something smells fishy.

#28 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2020-06-25 01:57 PM | Reply

#26 meet #16, and I commend you.
I'd still recommend not using that even for Halloween, though.

#29 | Posted by YAV at 2020-06-25 01:58 PM | Reply

"The Berlin wall example is really dumb... The Berlin wall was the "Act", it wasn't a symbol it was the dividing line."

When the dividing line called Segregation went away, against many people's wishes, Confederate statues started going up.

Confederate statues celebrate the dividing line.

Surely you can see that, KRXW25.

#30 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-06-25 02:05 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Well I won't anymore. Used to have a gnarled old tree that we decorated with skeletons/ghosts hanging from it. My neighbor is black and he helped decorate it.

#31 | Posted by visitor_ at 2020-06-25 02:17 PM | Reply

I'm not arguing for the Confederate statues. I just don't like a weak argument... I feel the Berlin wall example is a very poor, at best, analogue. There are better examples to use.

#32 | Posted by kwrx25 at 2020-06-25 02:27 PM | Reply

There are better examples to use.
#32 | POSTED BYKWRX25

For example, Mt. Rushmore, built as a permanent thorn in the side of the Indians, featuring the four Presidents who did the most to ethnically cleanse America of the Indian scourge.

#33 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-06-25 02:29 PM | Reply

#33 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-06-25 02:29 PM | Reply | Flag:

Granted, it's still a thorn in the side of the Native Americans because they consider the Black Hills sacred, but that's a bit different from deliberately carving the "four Presidents who did the most to ethnically cleanse America of the Indian scourge."

#34 | Posted by StatsPlease at 2020-06-25 05:20 PM | Reply

I wish Crazy Horse Memorial would be finished in my lifetime.

#35 | Posted by YAV at 2020-06-25 05:55 PM | Reply

#27 | POSTED BY TONYROMA AT 2020-06-25 01:46 PM | FLAG:

I'm surprised they only found one. It's a sport only slightly more white than Denmark.

#36 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2020-06-25 06:07 PM | Reply

"That seems a bit strange. Where's Andrew Jackson? What exactly did Abraham Lincoln do to the Native Americans that was worse?"

Two things:
Ask yourself who erased your history.
Ask yourself why they erased your history.

#37 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-06-25 06:15 PM | Reply

and only one noose - the one discovered on Sunday in Bubba Wallace's garage

Does anyone have a legit picture of this thing? I'd like to make my own judgement on what it actually is.

#38 | Posted by REDIAL at 2020-06-25 11:56 PM | Reply

Oop... sorry. Found it above.

#39 | Posted by REDIAL at 2020-06-25 11:57 PM | Reply

It looks noose-like to my untrained eye.

#40 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-06-26 12:03 AM | Reply

nascar released a pic of it on snopes.

#41 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2020-06-26 12:04 AM | Reply

Docnjo is an "expert"... he said it's a bowline. Got a NW flag for it too. Probably from Gracie.

#42 | Posted by REDIAL at 2020-06-26 12:09 AM | Reply

That's a Hangman's Noose. Any slipknot is a noose, but that one is pretty specific.

#43 | Posted by REDIAL at 2020-06-26 12:29 AM | Reply

#36 | POSTED BY SITZKRIEG

Could someone please do the math for me? There are 1684 garage stalls throughout NASCAR tracks and 43 starting spots for each race, though there are usually more cars than that which attempt to qualify, but for this we'll ignore them. The garages are allegedly given out randomly.

What are the statistical odds that out of 1684 garages that any one driver - in this case, Bubba Wallace - would randomly draw any singular specific garage assignment?

#44 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-06-26 06:59 AM | Reply

#16 | POSTED BY VISITOR

That's not the knot I would use for door pull unless it was for Halloween.

#26 | POSTED BY VISITOR_

Is that your way of saying that I'm not a clown and that you - not I - now feast on crow, and that I should stop merely because you don't agree?

And why should I stop? Go back and actually read and think about what is articulated in post #1. You were so convinced - without a shred of actual evidence - that Wallace and his teammate overreacted to something innocuous for the sake of what you call a "woke" agenda. You ignored that I took great pains to explain that this article wasn't about any physical noose as much as it was about how the representation of any noose is felt differently depending upon your own ancestry and life experience.

I draw your attention to the fact that over 6500 black Americans were lynched by whites from 1865 to 1950 - years in which such murders were actual crimes post slavery. The noose symbolizes the white mans' power to indiscriminately end black lives for whatever extralegal rationale or grievance the murderers might have. Today's black Americans have grown up internalizing images like this and this and this, but it offends your sensibilities to the point you ignorantly besmirch my own concern in pointing out why many of us feel so palpably different than you?

You serve as another great example why this nation is currently going through a great awakening on racial injustice. Your callousness to the personal feelings of others - that in no way affects your life - must be attacked and belittled because they don't happen to be yours - therefore they must be wrong. Sorry sir, they are not wrong, you are.

#45 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-06-26 07:28 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

In my words: I was wrong so carry on.

#46 | Posted by visitor_ at 2020-06-26 08:11 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Thank you.

#47 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-06-26 08:20 AM | Reply

Good job, Visitor_.
Honestly.
Thank you from me, too, for being true and showing integrity.

#48 | Posted by YAV at 2020-06-26 01:47 PM | Reply

"You're only addressing the matter of law as to whether or not it was intentionally placed specifically in Wallace's garage as a message directed toward him." - Tony R

There's no way it was directed towards him. It had been in place for months and any garage stalls are only assigned a few days before a race. It wasn't there at the beginning of October but it was there by the last week of October. Do you know what else is at the end of October...Halloween.

#49 | Posted by jamesgelliott at 2020-06-26 02:04 PM | Reply

There's no way it was directed towards him.

Did you read the entire post? Everyone understands that it was not placed with intent directed toward Wallace, something that I repeatedly stated was not at issue with the author of this thread nor the conversation its content was written to elicit.

I couldn't have been more clear with my rationale for discussing what happened and why it matters to so many irrespective of anyone's original intent for placing the noose where it was found - as the only one of its kind out of every single garage that NASCAR uses in all of its racing tracks from coast to coast.

#50 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-06-26 02:23 PM | Reply

Tony,

That says a lot about you that you would actually go looking for those kind of snuff photos.

I have never ever seen that kind of stuff until I clicked on your links.

You know it happened but only a special kind of human being actually wants to see those pictures.

#51 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2020-06-26 09:13 PM | Reply

Again, why do you attack me for trying to educate the ignorant? Do you have any idea how I feel about those photos? Do you think that I posted them because it gives me pleasure?

Have you read a single word that I wrote on this thread explaining my feelings quite thoroughly?

Stop trying to evaluate me through yours lens and try to see through mine for just a second. If those photos nauseate you as much as they sicken me then perhaps you'll understand why the very image of a noose cuts right through the souls of people who were terrorized by them.

And perhaps you'll notice something even more telling than the black bodies hanging beneath the ropes. White people celebrated lynchings as if they were attending street parties. They reveled in the execution of blacks in service of maintaining white supremacy and to make sure blacks stayed under the white mans' boot - something that the Emancipation Proclamation legally took away.

Wake up Bill. This is as much of a part of American history as is Washington crossing the Delaware. This nation cannot move forward without dealing with the ghosts in our past. Part of this story is the reaction by far too many who think that Wallace and NASCAR had no reason to react to a simple noose's symbolism, and I think the reason why is that people are NOT cognizant of the photos and the reality of 6500 black people dying under a rope even after Lincoln freed the slaves.

The photos cut me to the core because I viscerally know - just like Bubba Wallace - that except for time and space it could have been me losing my life with a noose wrapped around my neck - something I don't think you've ever once thought of in your entire life. And I don't criticize you for that, in fact I want to see an America where no one in the future has to feel the way I do today. But as you are proving, sometimes words are not enough to get people to really understand how others feel when they don't feel that way themselves.

#52 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-06-26 09:41 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#51 | POSTED BY BILLJOHNSON

I wanted to see flag draped coffins coming home from the Iraq war.
Not seeing them denies me the right to witness their sacrifice.

#53 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-06-26 10:12 PM | Reply