Thursday, June 25, 2020

The checks sent to dead people as of April 30 totaled nearly $1.4 billion, according to the Government Accountability Office The federal government sent coronavirus stimulus payments to almost 1.1 million dead people totaling nearly $1.4 billion, Congress' independent watchdog reported Thursday.

Comments

I received a stimulus check made out to a family member at my address (I'm the executor of the estate). She died over two years ago.

The Payee of the check (visible through the envelope's window) noted that she was deceased, and there was a checkbox on the outside of the envelope with the instructions to check it and drop in any mailbox if she was deceased.

Still, it was two years since she had died, her Social Security checks were stopped two years ago because she died.

I have no idea why she got a check.

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-06-25 11:34 AM | Reply

I read that whole article and I cannot see where the money was spent.

Did the dead cash them? If they didn't cash the checks then the money was never spent. It's still there. But it takes time to free it up. If the check was cashed then that is fraud. Send in the swat team with no knock searches!

Welcome to Trumplandia. Where Fraud is not the problem it's the plan!

#2 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-06-25 11:35 AM | Reply

My moms deceased husband received the payment. He died about 18 months ago. The money was direct deposited to an account in the still opened Estate. I didn't follow up with her to see if they've pulled it back yet or not.

#3 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2020-06-25 11:58 AM | Reply

@#3 ... The money was direct deposited to an account in the still opened Estate. ...

In my instance, the estate (and its accounts) had been closed for a year. That may be why I got the envelope instead of a direct deposit.

#4 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-06-25 12:21 PM | Reply

Dead getting checks, were they working from Democrat voter lists?

#5 | Posted by visitor_ at 2020-06-25 01:41 PM | Reply

were they working from Democrat voter lists?

#5 | POSTED BY VISITOR_

Unpossible.

Trumpy done Purged them lists and closed them Dem nests of iniquity.

#6 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-06-25 01:55 PM | Reply

#4 | POSTED BY LAMPLIGHTER

If your "estate" cashed the check it would still be still fraud.

#7 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-06-25 01:56 PM | Reply

Still...

#8 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-06-25 01:57 PM | Reply

#5 | POSTED BY VISITOR

Yes, let's all ignore the fact that the "dead Democrat voter" is a myth and the fact that the Trump admin is indeed sending checks to dead people.

#9 | Posted by Derek_Wildstar at 2020-06-25 02:06 PM | Reply

What a convenient story in order to pocket 1.4 billion.

Where's the missing billion? Dead people got it!

#10 | Posted by ClownShack at 2020-06-25 02:10 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

@#5 ... Dead getting checks, were they working from Democrat voter lists? ...

Considering the fact that both Pres Trump and the Republicans in Congress were against accountability. It was only after the Democrats refused to pass the bill without it that some accountability was added.

So, I'd be more suspicious of Republican voter lists than Democrat.

Jus' sayin'

#11 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-06-25 02:10 PM | Reply

@#7 ...If your "estate" cashed the check it would still be still fraud. ...

Yup. I knew that.

But I had no intention of cashing the check anyway, as it was not made out to me or the estate, and the person it was made out to had died.

#12 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-06-25 02:12 PM | Reply

"What a convenient story in order to pocket 1.4 billion."

Actually it appears that Trillions of taxpayer dollars will go unaccounted for with the living.

But the light is much better here with the dead.

#13 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-06-25 02:13 PM | Reply

"and the person it was made out to had died."

You and your estate did the right thing. How refreshing!

Seems like common sense doesn't it?

We don't have much if that around here any more either.

I wonder which dead person we sent that to.

#14 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-06-25 02:16 PM | Reply

Dead getting checks, were they working from Democrat voter lists?

#5 | Posted by visitor_ at 2020-06-25 01:41 PM | Reply | Flag:

There's a term among meteorologists who forecast a big storm despite a lack of scientific data to support it. They will forecast a big snowstorm (or severe weather outbreak or whatever), because they want a big snowstorm. The term is "wishcasting." In other words, they allow their biases to warp their judgment and misstate reality.

Likewise, you want to be able to talk about Democrats' fraud and corruption because that fits your talking points.

The problem is, this administration is of the (what) party? Anyone? Bueller? That's right, the Republican Party.

And all that stuff about Democrat voter fraud is garbage anyway.

So... sorry, Mr. Wishcaster, you are wrong again.

#15 | Posted by cbob at 2020-06-25 02:17 PM | Reply

"...it was not made out to me or the estate, and the person it was made out to had died."

If it were a legitimate check (like a first-quarter dividend check), the executor can sign & deposit the check, then distribute the proceeds as the will dictates. Each recipient has just received income in respect of a decedent, which is reported on the "Other Income" line of the 1040.

#16 | Posted by Danforth at 2020-06-25 02:20 PM | Reply

@#16 ... If it were a legitimate check (like a first-quarter dividend check), the executor can sign & deposit the check, then distribute the proceeds as the will dictates. ...

Yup, I knew that as well.

I'd deposit dividend checks because they were the result of the estate's assets.

The stimulus check, not so much. :)

(fwiw, whenever I had the slightest doubt, I always sent an email off to the estate's lawyer for guidance. But my instincts always turned out to be on the mark.)

#17 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-06-25 02:31 PM | Reply

#5 If brain dead trump voters are allowed to vote, why can't dead democrats?

#18 | Posted by bored at 2020-06-26 12:43 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

The important question is did they cash the checks?

#19 | Posted by fresno500 at 2020-06-26 12:30 PM | Reply

I didn't follow up with her to see if they've pulled it back yet or not.

#3 | POSTED BY WHATSLEFT

I asked her about it last night. She says that they're so screwed up that they still can't figure out what to do about it.

#20 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2020-06-26 01:20 PM | Reply