Friday, June 26, 2020

The so-called cyanide bomb was not the work of some rogue actor or terrorist cell. It had been installed by a federal employee on official business.

Comments

US Citizen vs Fish & Wildlife service?

#1 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2020-06-26 12:41 PM | Reply

So, I learned the other day that chewing and eating cherry pits can lead to cyanide poisoning. I now have to make a conscious effort to refrain from chewing on cherry pits.

Delicious cherry pits...

#2 | Posted by censored at 2020-06-26 09:00 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Looks like I was close in my original comment.
The biggest surprise from the article:

In May 2019, DeFazio and Republican congressman Matt Gaetz re-introduced a bill, dubbed "Canyon's Law", that seeks to ban cyanide bombs nationwide. Jeff Merkley of Oregon has introduced a companion bill in the Senate.

#3 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2020-06-27 12:10 AM | Reply

"I do not like the idea that if I am wandering on public land or my children are wandering on it or my wife, that we can stumble across and be poisoned by an exploding cyanide device or that our dog might be killed," said Merkley. M-44s are "something that impinges on the ability of all of us who are co-owners of public lands to safely enjoy them".

No S**t. In the mid to late 60's, I was warned to watch for something similar when hunting. I think, it was baits with either cyanide or arsenic for coyotes. If only coyotes were the only critters that ate that bait./s

Either way, I thought that kind of crap was banned years ago. Jesus Christ.

#4 | Posted by et_al at 2020-06-27 01:48 AM | Reply

I stopped using rat poison around my house because I found out it was killing hawks. They eat the mouse/rat that has eaten an enormous amount of poison and are poisoned themselves.

Similarly with these, even when the poison kills the coyote or intended target, I'm sure a bunch of other scavenging animals are killed when they eat the dead predator.

#5 | Posted by StatsPlease at 2020-06-27 11:54 AM | Reply

Freakin' yikes. Poor little one! Sprayed in the face with cyanide powder and his dog killed :-( The people that put that down should be in jail.

#6 | Posted by dibblda at 2020-06-27 01:29 PM | Reply

Either way, I thought that kind of crap was banned years ago. #4 | POSTED BY ET_AL

Me too. Surprising to see it wasn't, due to what Statsplease commented about, regarding collateral damage to other wildlife.

Culls via helicopter pale in comparison to indiscriminate wildlife damage from these bombs

#7 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2020-06-27 02:51 PM | Reply

Bait and cyanide bombs are the only real defense against the spread of rabies. Jesus Christ people, have you seen the size of the rabies needle? You want that twelve times in the stomach because of a raccoon?

You are upset over minor collateral damage?

#8 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2020-06-27 04:40 PM | Reply

Could always do an operation Rolling Thunder on US forests
/s

#9 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2020-06-27 05:30 PM | Reply

#9 GONOLES92

Rolling Thunder, now there's a reference I haven't heard in many years. What was the nuclear option against North Vietnam? Operation Unthinkable was post WWII against the USSR, but it as something like that. Help me out please.

#10 | Posted by billy_boy at 2020-06-27 10:14 PM | Reply

I guess it was Operation Vulture, it feels like I'm missing something.

#11 | Posted by billy_boy at 2020-06-27 10:49 PM | Reply

There is a reason they put these things out and it is basically a bad idea. Ranchers want to control predators and local counties want to control rabies in the area. Killing off coyotes is counter productive. Eradicate them and your ranch will be overwhelmed with rats and other rodents. I seen that happen more than once. Rabies is harder. Some animals live with rabies, weasels like raccoons, skunks, and badgers don't get sick. Neither do bats or rabbits. Coyotes are canines and they do get sick and die. The best control is to keep your area clean, rat proof, and food free. No prey means the critters that carry rabies will have no interest in your area.

#12 | Posted by docnjo at 2020-06-28 07:47 AM | Reply