Tuesday, June 30, 2020

A Biden strategy of caution and discipline, which has limited his travel and put news conferences on hold, has allowed the Democrat to keep the national focus on (Donald) Trump and his polarizing approach to the coronavirus pandemic, the economic crisis and widespread fury over racist policing practices. An election that Trump needs to be seen as a binary choice is, at this point, looking more like a referendum on a man who is viewed negatively by a majority of the county.

Comments

In the last two days, both former New Jersey governor Chris Christie, a Trump confidant, and former White House acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney have said in interviews that Trump is mishandling the moment in a way that rewards Biden, giving the Democrat little incentive to engage more aggressively on the campaign.

"Folks are voicing their displeasure with the way the president has handled covid and the Black Lives Matter riots and uprisings of the last couple of weeks," Mulvaney said on Fox News anchor Brian Kilmeade's radio show Monday. "No one has benefited more from the coronavirus crisis than Joe Biden."

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." - Napoleon Bonaparte
Biden campaign staff is 35% people of color and 53% female, new diversity data shows

Biden also said that his administration would "look like America." He has previously promised to name a woman as vice president and a black woman as his first Supreme Court nominee. In recent weeks, he has been under increasing pressure to name a black woman as his running mate as well.

"Look at my staff. I have the most diverse staff of anybody running. I've always done that," Biden told NPR in December. "The administration should look like the American public."

Joe knows 2020 is unlike any campaign season in modern history as he is the complete antithesis of all that is Trump - a person growing more loathsome with the passing of each day and with the revelation of each emerging scandal.

#1 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-06-30 08:52 AM | Reply

"... he is the complete antithesis of all that is Trump"

You don't need to exaggerate to demonstrate that he is preferable to Trump, TR. Don't oversell.

#2 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2020-06-30 09:27 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

You don't need to exaggerate to demonstrate that he is preferable to Trump,

I don't find it hyperbole nor exaggeration Hagbard. I believe it's simply the truth. If someone doesn't want to believe me, then listen to Lindsey Graham, one of Trump's biggest proponents.

"He's said some of the most incredibly heartfelt things that anybody could ever say to me. He's the nicest person I think I've ever met in politics," Graham says.

When has anyone on Earth ever said such words about Donald Trump? I'm just calling it as I see it.

#3 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-06-30 09:44 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"If someone doesn't want to believe me, then listen to Lindsey Graham, one of Trump's biggest proponents.
"If you can't admire Joe Biden as a person, you've got a problem. You need to do some self-evaluation, 'cause, what's not to like?" Graham says, calling Biden "as good a man as God ever created.""

I don't think that means the same thing you seem to believe it means. Lindsey Graham is talking about the guy who has championed Republican causes at various times throughout his career. I know you don't need me to list them.

#4 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2020-06-30 09:57 AM | Reply

No he isn't Hagbard. Graham is speaking about the PERSON, not his politics. Haven't you seen the video? Graham has tears in his eyes as he's saying the above quote. His feelings have nothing to do with politics, it's all about Biden's humanity.

youtu.be

#5 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-06-30 10:02 AM | Reply

A different view...

Betting Odds - 2020 U.S. President
www.realclearpolitics.com

Looks like the end of May was a turning point for Pres Trump's campaign.

#6 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-06-30 11:34 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

So Biden gave a speech Tuesday (today) reiterating what he would do to confront the virus, which has a renewed urgency given how bad things have gotten just in the past couple of weeks.

Here are the main components:

*More testing and more contact tracing, coordinated and funded by the federal government
*More personal protective equipment for front-line workers, especially health-care workers
*Leading a global effort to find and produce treatments and vaccines
*Nationwide guidelines that states can adopt for reopening when the virus begins to get under control
*More steps to protect vulnerable populations, including seniors

Biden emphasized that:

"If it feels like you're hearing the experts talk about the same issues for months, you'd be right. These have always been the steps the government needed to put in place to meet the threat. Statewide lockdowns that so many Americans lived under for months were intended to buy us time to get our act together. Instead of using that time to prepare ourselves, Donald Trump squandered it. Now here we are, more than three months later, we're hardly better prepared than we were in March. Infections are on the rise. The threat of massive spikes that overwhelm the capacity of our health care system is on the horizon. Americans, anxious and out of work, are fearful for their lives and their livelihoods. Donald Trump is doing next to nothing about it."

www.washingtonpost.com

#7 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-06-30 06:11 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

@#1 ... "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." - Napoleon Bonaparte ...

I had always heard the political version of that one (and quoted it here many times), but I never knew of the original.

thx.

#8 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-06-30 06:34 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Biden speaks from the heart just like he's done his whole career.

Trump talks like a cold caller working on commission . . . the type you hang up on.

#9 | Posted by Twinpac at 2020-07-01 06:00 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#9 | POSTED BY TWINPAC

(CNN) George Floyd's brother, Philonise Floyd, on Sunday said he spoke with both President Donald Trump and former Vice President Joe Biden last week, saying his talk with Trump was "brief" while Biden was talking to him "constantly."

"The vice president, I loved his conversation. He talked to me for like 10 [or] 15 minutes. And I was trying to talk his ear off because he was talking to me constantly. Great conversation. But Trump, it lasted probably two minutes," he told CNN's Don Lemon when asked if he was able to share the pain of his brother's death with the President.

"He didn't give me an opportunity to even speak," Floyd said. "It was hard. I was trying to talk to him, but he just kept, like, pushing me off, like 'I don't want to hear what you're talking about."

www.cnn.com

Less talking is more listening... Trump can't learn because he cannot listen. You cannot learn anything if you cannot listen.

#10 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-07-01 11:48 AM | Reply

"I don't want to hear what you're talking about."

I don't doubt that for a minute. Trump treats his Presidential Daily Briefers the same way.

#11 | Posted by Twinpac at 2020-07-01 12:47 PM | Reply