Friday, July 03, 2020

Inside a Houston hospital partly transformed into a coronavirus specialty unit, one doctor says he expects to reach capacity in the next 14 days. "In the last three weeks, I have seen more admissions and sicker patients than on the previous 10 weeks," says Dr. Joseph Varon, the chief medical officer at United Memorial Medical Center. "It's been an exponential increase on the severity of illness and on the number of cases that we admit." In other hospitals across America, similar scenes of crisis.

Comments

I wish other states could have learned from what happened in NY, NJ, CT, MA , etc., but as I've been saying for a while, it looks like some people are going to have to learn the hard way:

At least 12 states are seeing a rise in daily hospitalizations, the director of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said this week.

The trend is worrying: A sharp increase in patients can once again overwhelm hospitals, putting critical resources including staffing, beds and ventilators in short supply.

Already, some hospitals are so swamped they've transferred patients elsewhere. Doctors in parts of Texas report waiting lists for their ICU beds, while others have had to decide which patients to admit, incapable of treating all those seeking help. In other parts of the US, health care professionals are seeing younger and sicker patients and making a simple plea: Wear a mask and stay at home.

#1 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-07-02 10:45 PM | Reply

And unfortunately in some cases, the hard way is unthinkable and heartbreaking:

At Methodist Hospital in San Antonio, ICU rooms are packed -- and some patients are on a waiting list.

"Yesterday was probably one of my worst days that I've ever had," Dellavolpe said. "I got 10 calls, all of whom (were) young people who otherwise would be excellent candidates to be able to put on ECMO (life support). They're so sick that if they don't get put on, they don't get that support, they're probably going to die. I had three beds."

"It's a level of decision-making that I don't think a lot of us are prepared for."

#2 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-07-02 10:57 PM | Reply

So 7 will die? Out of 330 Million? More people die from shoving light bulbs up their asses. Hoax.
~DRighties

#3 | Posted by REDIAL at 2020-07-02 11:05 PM | Reply

JUST NOW: "Overwhelmed."

My friend/hero @miguelmarquez with a brave/sensitive/crucial piece on a TX hospital inundated with COVID cases this morning.

Watch and share. I don't know if people realize this is happening.

twitter.com

#4 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-07-02 11:21 PM | Reply

Watch and share. I don't know if people realize this is happening.

Republicans are scum.

#5 | Posted by jpw at 2020-07-03 01:03 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

#5 | Posted by jpw

True.

Republicans don't care about anything until it happens to THEM. Then their minds change fast as lightning.

#6 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2020-07-03 02:50 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Republicans don't care about anything until it happens to THEM.

#6 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2020-07-03 02:50 AM | Reply

It's a pattern. And until it happens to them, what happens to everyone else is a lie or just what they deserve.

#7 | Posted by Zed at 2020-07-03 09:04 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Gal, that story about Dr. Dellavolpe was on NPR the other day and I heard it. It has bothered me ever since. Tragic.

#8 | Posted by danni at 2020-07-03 10:41 AM | Reply

"Many won't care until it happens to them. Then they'll be angry there isn't the space of resources to treat them to the extent they believe they should be treated."
"Republicans don't care about anything until it happens to THEM. Then their minds change fast as lightning"

The young reckless crowd contracting the virus are Trump haters.
Everyone sees the pics and vids.
Try again blind haters

#9 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2020-07-03 10:42 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I have a neighbor who is a travelling ER physician. She comes home every few weeks for a few days off. She talks about her experience like it is fighting in a war. I don't think I could ever do what she does every day.

#10 | Posted by danni at 2020-07-03 10:44 AM | Reply

"The young reckless crowd contracting the virus are Trump haters."

As usual you are completely full of crap. Trump haters stay home, wear masks and do social distancing. Trump lovers think that is too much to ask of them. There will be thousands of Trump lovers out today at his ridiculous July 3 celebration of July 4. No self-respecting Trump haters will be there.

#11 | Posted by danni at 2020-07-03 10:47 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Headline fail!

Should say:

Hospitals Face 'An Explosion of ------- Hoaxes'

#12 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-07-03 10:58 AM | Reply

I'm afraid of what's going to happen here.

I personally know two people going to the Lake of the Ozarks for the holiday weekend.

Despite the scht show it was at Memorial Day.

#13 | Posted by jpw at 2020-07-03 10:58 AM | Reply

The young reckless crowd contracting the virus are Trump haters.
Everyone sees the pics and vids.
Try again blind haters

#9 | POSTED BY PHESTEROBOYLE

60% of America and most of the civilized world hate Trump and the path we are on.

So what exactly is your point?

The only way you can't be angry today is to be blind.

And deaf.

Or like you.

Dumb.

#14 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-07-03 11:03 AM | Reply

@#1 ... At least 12 states are seeing a rise in daily hospitalizations ...

What is the delay from the increase of hospital admissions to the resulting increase in death rates? I'm thinking it may be about three weeks before we start seeing the resultant increase in death rates due to this "sharp increase" of hospital admissions.

Meanwhile, the United States is still breaking records each day on the CV front.

#15 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-07-03 11:11 AM | Reply

It is convenient for Phester to ignore the Trump supporters out there refusing to wear masks and marching with ------- enhancements for muh fredumbs and it is convenient for liberals to ignore the young partying because they are invincible.

The bad news for the Trump supporters is the young are pretty much are invincible and will pay a very small personal price for their actions, the Trump supporters are older and in worse health and therefor will pay a much higher price for their belief that it is a hoax.

#16 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2020-07-03 11:11 AM | Reply

"As usual you are completely full of crap. Trump haters stay home, wear masks and do social distancing. Trump lovers think that is too much to ask of them.
#11 | Posted by danni"

www.cbsnews.com

Young people are out enjoying the warmer weather across the country, but according to health officials, they also might be spreading and contracting the coronavirus. As people pack into parks, beaches, restaurants, bars and even concerts, cases are rising in at least 37 states, with surges among young people linked to everything from fitness classes to summer fraternity parties.
"I'm not too scared of getting sick," said Chris Clarici in San Francisco.
"I just personally don't care," said a young person in Boston. "I haven't got sick yet."

If anyone thinks these young reckless idiots are Trump supporters, you are delusional and hopeless.

#17 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2020-07-03 11:15 AM | Reply

"Danni and Donner, Phester is half correct. The young and reckless and trump supporters are both thumbing their nose at this. The young cause they figure they will be fine and the trump supporters because it is a hoax."

I can't deny that the Trump haters will be out but they won't be at a Trump rally kissing his fat ass like the Trump supporters will be. The Trump haters still have a modicum of pride, the Trump supporters not so much.

#18 | Posted by danni at 2020-07-03 11:17 AM | Reply

"people pack into parks, beaches, restaurants, bars and even concerts, cases are rising in at least 37 states, with surges among young people linked to everything from fitness classes to summer fraternity parties."

I went to college, I knew frat brothers. I disliked 90% of them, it was understood they all were Nixon supporters. They supported the Vietnam War. I challenged them once on that and universally they rose up as if to kill me. I didn't go near those psychos again. Same thing is true today. If it's a frat party they are all Trump supporters.

#19 | Posted by danni at 2020-07-03 11:20 AM | Reply

"It is convenient for Phester to ignore the Trump supporters out there refusing to wear masks and marching with ------- enhancements for muh fredumbs and it is convenient for liberals to ignore the young partying because they are invincible"

------- enhancements? dayum.. that's something I don't need (Hooah!)

Seriously.. Any so called Conservative out there marching or going to a rally without a mask and using all means possible to stay safe and to keep others safe are crazy too.

#20 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2020-07-03 11:20 AM | Reply

"Most sane and sensible people see who is making us unsafe and guilty of spreading this virus,"

Yes we do. It's the Orange Lunatic holding rallies without social distancing and not requiring masks. Every one so far has provided trackable COVID19 cases directly connected to those events.

#21 | Posted by danni at 2020-07-03 11:24 AM | Reply

@#20 ... Most sane and sensible people see who is making us unsafe and guilty of spreading this virus, ...

Yup.

Those who do not socially distance and do not wear masks.

#22 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-07-03 11:26 AM | Reply

The young and reckless aren't paying attention and they'll do what is allowed. If the Trumploving Governors open businesses, bars, restaurants, etc. then the message is "it's safe" and those not paying attention or caring will use them. I don't know why people want to make this complicated. It's not. The problem we have is the total lack of leadership that has courage and will do the right thing, or worse, like S. Dakota, actively fight sane policy and act like spoiled children - putting everyone at risk

Lamplighter, as to the delay between hospital admission and deaths the average last time I calculated it was 10 days. AVERAGE being the key word: 7 days to become symptomatic, 11 days to hospitalization 21 days to a fatality. What complicates matters is the delay between testing and the reporting of the results. For instance Florida reported over 10,000 cases yesterday, but those tests were conducted anywhere from 2-13 days ago.

#23 | Posted by YAV at 2020-07-03 11:32 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

------- enhancements?

Too subtle a way around the censors for you?

#24 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2020-07-03 11:32 AM | Reply

"Hello, is this Mr. Smith?"

"No, Mr. Smith passed away yesterday."

"Ok, tell him he tested positive for COVID19."

"I'll let his friends and relatives know tomorrow at the funeral."

"Thank you from the so well run State of Florida."

My results took two full weeks when I got tested.

#25 | Posted by danni at 2020-07-03 11:35 AM | Reply

#25- I wondered how long that finally ended up being, Danni. 14 days. And that was a while ago. It's still not that much better. Wow.

#26 | Posted by YAV at 2020-07-03 11:37 AM | Reply

@#23 ... as to the delay between hospital admission and deaths ...

Thanks for the stats. I wasn't sure, which is why I prompted for it.

#27 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-07-03 11:41 AM | Reply

@#23 ... I don't know why people want to make this complicated. ...

I became complicated when Pres Trump turned a health crisis into a political issue in order to help his re-election campaign.

#28 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-07-03 11:45 AM | Reply

@#28

I became complicated

- should be -

It became complicated

#29 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-07-03 11:53 AM | Reply

Ha! I got it :)

Thanks for the stats. I wasn't sure, which is why I prompted for it.

You're welcome. Those stats are old and I sincerely hope they've changed for the better. I know that the treatments are better, so the outcomes are better, and I know that the patients being hospitalized are younger, and they do better.

Remdesivir, for instance, shortens the hospital stay from 15 to 11 days.
Dexamethasone also has reduced mortality rates by 1/3 for those on ventilators, and 1/5th for those that needed O2.
The use of anti-coagulents appears to have become standard in treatment in hospital (per NIH recomendation).
I haven't seen anything that says convalescent plasma is effective, though.

There's a lot of good news in all this, however we can't think that getting it is no longer an issue and we can be treated and be fine. Some that recover aren't all going to be 100% again after going through this. It's still way more deadly than the flu if you're over 14.

I'm afraid there are some that are going to take the positive results of all the work our scientists, doctors, the CDC, and NIH have done, see the moderation in fatalities alone, and read the wrong meaning into it.

#30 | Posted by YAV at 2020-07-03 12:11 PM | Reply

My results took two full weeks when I got tested.

#25 | POSTED BY DANNI

See!

Trumpy said everyone gets a test!

So what if it takes 2 weeks. You got yer damn test ok?

-------- are just never satisfied.

#31 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-07-03 12:18 PM | Reply

@#30 ... ome that recover aren't all going to be 100% again after going through this. ...

I've read about that aspect.

Yesterday, I saw this story...

St. Vincent's first COVID patient struggling to recover
www.ctinsider.com

...Davis, 21, was the first COVID-19 patient at St. Vincent's Medical Center in Bridgeport. The native of Venezuela, who has lived in the United States for four years, fell ill in March and spent 35 days at the hospital, most of it sedated.

Despite his youth and relative health, Davis was critically ill and needed to be put on a ventilator. He was released May 3, and has been recovering at his mother's home in Bridgeport.

Though Davis said he's doing better, it's been difficult. He gets around OK, but he gets overheated easily and has frequent headaches. And then, there's the hair loss. That was a surprise, he said, as it wasn't a problem until after he left the hospital....

#32 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-07-03 12:23 PM | Reply

Thats sad, LampLighter.
The non-fatal casualties have been overlooked and ignored, or just added to the "recovered" number without any qualification.

#33 | Posted by YAV at 2020-07-03 12:50 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

@#33 ... just added to the "recovered" number without any qualification. ...

"Released from the hospital" does not mean "recovered," it means that you no longer need the level of care provided by the hospital.

Unfortunately, as you note, "released from the hospital" is usually taken to mean "fully recovered."

#34 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-07-03 01:11 PM | Reply

That's interesting.
Because of what you said, LampLighter, I checked the nomenclature on the Florida COVID-19 dashboard. They've removed "recovered" and they don't even list "released from hospital" or anything like that now.

Johns Hopkins still lists it as "recovered" for each State, but not for the U.S. as a whole.
gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com

I found this on the JHU dashboard for where they are getting "recovered" from:
covidtracking.com
But the best I can tell is they get the qualification from each state individually and put it under one category.

I also found this on the Yale Medicine web site:
An estimated 20 to 50% of patients continue to face health challenges after being discharged from the hospital. (To help with these residual symptoms, which are mostly but not exclusively pulmonary, Yale Medicine is in the process of opening a post-COVID clinic.)
www.yalemedicine.org

#35 | Posted by YAV at 2020-07-03 01:42 PM | Reply

------- enhancements?

Apparently not subtle enough to get around the censors, good grief.

#36 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2020-07-03 01:47 PM | Reply

"The young and reckless aren't paying attention and they'll do what is allowed."

If they are that ignorant with the nonstop virus warnings, I wouldn't trust them to vote or drive or to eat without supervision.

#37 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2020-07-03 02:09 PM | Reply

Lots of Republicans say 'we have more cases because we have more testing.' That isn't true.

Testing capacity has been maxed out for weeks. The positive test rate has risen because COVID infections are more widespread now than a month ago.

And we should be testing a million or more a day, according to the experts. Because of a lack of leadership and thwarting of our national public health agencies by this WH, we haven't been able to ramp up testing to the needed levels to get a real handle on where we are with infections.

#38 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2020-07-03 02:25 PM | Reply

"Explosion"?

How so, hmmmmmm?

More like just a bang

"- eberlyjohnson

#39 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2020-07-03 02:39 PM | Reply

My wife is a blood management doctor in the Houston Medical Center, and as a result, I get regular updates on how the doctors treat and view COVID. And some things went down this week.

Her hospital tests every person coming through the door. That means you don't have a COVID symptom bias. Over the past month, they went from 5% positive, to 20% positive, to 30% positive. The last test of 100 patients came in at 50% positive, but it had a COVID bias. They were testing 50 walk through the door patients and 50 folks who came in with COVID symptoms.

So, you got the mild version of the virus? Not so fast. They are running CT scans on mild patients now and what they are seeing is that they are showing lung damage similar to the lung damage seen in smokers.

I met a young man while picking up dinner, in a mask, and waiting in the parking lot. He had the harsh form of the virus. Spent a month in the ICU. Three months later, his lungs still havn't recovered. He was wearing a mask and keeping his distance. I asked him why? He said, "I know I can't get it again, I don't want anyone else to get it so I'm setting an example."

#40 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2020-07-03 02:43 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Unfortunately, we don't know for sure that he "can't get it again".

#41 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2020-07-03 03:13 PM | Reply

This would be so simple. Just have every patient identify their political party.

This way, we know which is abusing medical care.

I have a suspicion that the virus doesn't discriminate.

Based on the people in crowds without masks, it's hard to believe one political party refuses to wear one.

#42 | Posted by Petrous at 2020-07-03 04:10 PM | Reply

I have a suspicion that the virus doesn't discriminate.

the virus only knows opportunity.

#43 | Posted by YAV at 2020-07-03 05:58 PM | Reply

Apparently hydroxy works again. So we got that going for us.

#44 | Posted by visitor_ at 2020-07-03 07:34 PM | Reply

One observational study that ended May 2nd that comes with a big caveat and states implicitly that a randomized controlled study must be done. A study that won't be done as long as the NIH ban enacted June 20th is in place. A ban that was put in place because the actual randomized controlled studies showed higher mortality using it than not.

So don't get too far out ahead on that horse, cowboy.

#45 | Posted by YAV at 2020-07-03 11:04 PM | Reply

Apparently hydroxy works again. So we got that going for us.

#44 | POSTED BY VISITOR_

Nope.

Sorry.

#46 | Posted by jpw at 2020-07-03 11:10 PM | Reply

.... and on the other hand: From the New York Times - U.S. Coronavirus Cases Are Rising Sharply, but Deaths Are Still Downwww.nytimes.com

#47 | Posted by MSgt at 2020-07-04 01:50 PM | Reply

Apparently hydroxy works again. So we got that going for us.
#44 | POSTED BY VISITOR_

Then why are there (checks today's number) 132,208 dead Americans?

#48 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-07-04 02:09 PM | Reply

Phester,

"trump supporters because it is a hoax."

What I am seeing is some conservatives are believing it's no worse than the flu, but not exactly using the word hoax.

#49 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2020-07-04 02:12 PM | Reply

#49 | POSTED BY BILLJOHNSON

A distinction without a difference.
The hoax is believing it's no worse than the flu.
When was the last time the flu cancelled the Fourth of July?

#50 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-07-04 02:24 PM | Reply

Deaths are down in composite, however the huge spike in new cases has only been going on a few weeks. There's a lag. I'm not going to bother reading the link because I've been monitoring the data. The hospitalizations rates are taking off. Even with better treatments and outcomes, deaths are going to follow. It is inevitable. AZ the trend is already visible, TX looks like it's ticking up, and it appears Florida is as well.

You know, I went ahead and read the link. Guess what? You must not have read the last 6 paragraphs. For instance these:

Recent upswings in coronavirus case numbers leave experts apprehensive of what's to come. Death, when it occurs, tends to trail infection by about two to four weeks. Early on in the pandemic, when testing focused on patients with worrisome symptoms, the typical lag between case and death reporting was a week or two. Now that diagnostic testing is more widespread, that interval has widened.

Two weeks into a new round of coronavirus cases, the United States may be verging on another wave of deaths. Already, hospitalizations have begun an alarming upsurge in several states.

"I think the next two to three weeks will be very telling," Dr. Popescu said.

Glad I did read it.