Friday, July 03, 2020

Clint Lorance had been in charge of his platoon for only three days when he ordered his men to kill three Afghans stopped on a dirt road. A second-degree murder conviction and pardon followed. Today, Lorance is hailed as a hero by President Trump. His troops have suffered a very different fate.

Comments

Lorance had been in command of 1st Platoon for only three days in Afghanistan but in that short span of time had averaged a war crime a day, a military jury found. On his last day before he was dismissed, he ordered his troops to open fire on three Afghan men standing by a motorcycle on the side of the road who he said posed a threat. His actions led to a 19-year prison sentence.

He had served six years when Trump, spurred to action by relentless Fox News coverage and Lorance's insistence that he had made a split-second decision to protect his men, set him free.

For the men of 1st platoon, part of the 82nd Airborne Division, the costs of the war and the fallout from the case have been profound and sometimes deadly.

Traumatized by battle, they have also been brutalized by the politicization of their service and made to feel as if the truth of what they lived in Afghanistan " already a violent and harrowing tour before Lorance assumed command " had been so demeaned that it no longer existed.

Since returning home in 2013, five of the platoon's three dozen soldiers have died. At least four others have been hospitalized following suicide attempts or struggles with drugs or alcohol.

The last fatality came a few weeks before Lorance was pardoned when James O. Twist, 27, a Michigan state trooper and father of three, died of suicide.

I implore everyone to please take the time to read this amazing story about these men formerly of the 1st Platoon of the 82nd Airborne. As we celebrate the Fourth of July, it's perhaps the perfect time to enlighten ourselves upon those who risk the ultimate sacrifice for the sake of our freedom and how many of their battles in foreign lands too often return home with them - causing pain and regret many find that they can no longer live with.

I did not serve in the military, so I will leave it to others to opine about the details of this story as former servicepersons themselves. But there has got to be a better system of care for men like these - permanently scarred due to the actions of their field commander - than to find themselves cast as pariahs and subversives in the eyes of their peers.

#1 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-07-03 09:55 AM | Reply

I never served either and glad about that. I don't know of any conflict we've had in the last 50 years that was worthy of any American sacrifice. Every American should ask themelves, what did we actually accomplish with any of those conflicts? Before we ever enter into another war we should have verifiable, valid reasons for it and anyone in power who lies to get us involved in another war should answer for their crimes.

#2 | Posted by danni at 2020-07-03 10:15 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

And let me just add, My Dad was a 30 Navy officer and I admired him greatly and actually intended to follow him into the Navy but then Vietnam happened. I just could not participate, in any way, in that brutal civil war which was none of our business. I told him that and he was angry with me for years which bothered me greatly. Finally after the birth of my oldest daughter we reconciled but he only live a few more years but I am so glad we did have those few years together and one day he finally admitted that I was exactly right about that war. And, he had served in that war himself.

#3 | Posted by danni at 2020-07-03 10:18 AM | Reply

... take the time to read this amazing story about these men formerly of the 1st Platoon of the 82nd Airborne. ...

Sometimes I suspect that Pres Trump thinks issuing such pardons will help him gain and retain the military vote.

I also wonder how many in the military really think that Pres Trump's meddling in such military justice cases is a good thing.

#4 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-07-03 11:18 AM | Reply

#1 | POSTED BY TONYROMA

Your arrow is true.

Only about 2% of us choose to be the Watchers on the Wall.

PTSD comes not only from the battle but how your country treats you when you come home.

Sometimes when you come home you find it is gone.

I mean, look at me!

I am a mess and I was one of the lucky ones.

So many of my brothers-in-arms are not. Our country owes them a debt they do not seem to want to pay. And the religious think they are victims. We "Trumpy" our veterans. It's very sad.

It is amazing sometimes that I can still say Semper Fi.

But I do!

Have a great 4th Everyone and stay home. Be sensible. And do safe and sane fireworks with the kids. Or even by yourself. Don't kid yourself. You and they both love it! And grill a hotdog. Or a veggie dog. And be thankful. We are not Russia. Yet.

#5 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-07-03 02:48 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

Trump loves to pardon murdering PIGS. He's a killer wannabe that's for damn sure.

Military justice should be left alone.

Why does the president have the power to pardon killers convicted by the military in the first place?

He never served either.

These pardons and the murder of Qusam Soleimani are why I think Trump is total scum.

Evil black-hearted bastard scum.

#6 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-07-03 03:28 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1