Tuesday, July 07, 2020

Remember last earnings season? When companies were reporting their worst quarter since the financial crisis. And nobody dared guess what the future held. Bankruptcy risk was everywhere. Oh, and stocks rallied so hard that $5 trillion got added to share prices.

Comments

WMT has crushed it today

#1 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2020-07-07 12:05 PM | Reply

@#1

Probably because of this:

Walmart's Amazon Prime competitor will launch in July
www.vox.com

#2 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-07-07 04:24 PM | Reply

oooooo fascinating... a fed bubble... how novel.

#3 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2020-07-08 05:34 AM | Reply

Artificially propping up the stock market is actually just giving money to the 1% and it is insane. Chairman Powell needs to be removed from his position. This is class war at its worst.

#4 | Posted by danni at 2020-07-08 07:23 AM | Reply

#4 | Posted by danni

Artificially propping it up - that is an interesting conversation.

Computerized trading on a micro second scale has a huge effect. Buys and sells are at preset targets and trends that happen in the blink of an eye. In truth that really drives market prices today. A few emotional trades can cause the floor to fall out or the roof to be blown off.

Keep in mind all the 401k investors. I dare say they don't see it as "giving money to the 1%", I for one see it as a large part of my investment in the future. Each week there are wads of cash flowing into these funds and they have to invest it. I realize some is coming out as well but more is going in at this time. Bottom line is the 1% are just as trapped as the 401k investors. The wealthy have diversified and if they are liquid would reap the benefits if the market crashes.

Side note - With Trump opening up non-publicly traded investments to 401k investors things will get interesting there.

#5 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2020-07-08 04:33 PM | Reply

#2 | Posted by LampLighter

I wonder how many will spring for it. I keep Prime for Prime Video. I shouldn't shop Amazon but I still do - a lot less than the past. I don't shop Walmart.

#6 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2020-07-08 04:35 PM | Reply

#5 | POSTED BY GALAXIEPETE

I'm excited for it, there are benefits to the illiquidity of private equity.

#7 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2020-07-08 04:46 PM | Reply

The video part will be a huge hit to Walmart+ unless they can add something. Echo also will be lacking which combined with Amazon music is nice. The fuel discount will be nice but unless they partner with a gas station chain or add a bunch of stations I don't know how useful that will be to a lot of people. Around here I only know of one Walmart gas station and it's like 20-30 minutes from me. Plus unless the discount is huge how much driving would you have to do to make up 98 bucks a year.

#8 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2020-07-08 04:55 PM | Reply

Almost every Super Wal-Mart comes with a gas station in front and has for at at least a decade.

#9 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2020-07-09 09:26 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The S&P is where it was in the middle of last December, 2019.

Makes total sense that the market can say we're in the same situation, what with the unemployment, global plague etc.

#10 | Posted by schifferbrains at 2020-07-09 10:03 AM | Reply

...aaaaand that's why I've pulled my $$ out of
the riskier funds in my 401k and pulled them all
to the curb in my safe low yield part of the fund.
One doesn't have to look far on YouTube to see
100's of peeps screaming to get out of the market now,
before the next eminent drop.

...also, lots of chatter about the $ dropping...
thinking on gold or silver... 2020 is turning out to