Wednesday, July 08, 2020

Megachurches and other religious organizations with ties to vocal supporters of U.S. President Donald Trump were approved for millions of dollars in forgivable loans from a taxpayer-funded pandemic aid bailout, according to long-awaited government data released this week. Among those approved for loans through the massive government relief program were a Dallas megachurch whose pastor has been an outspoken ally of the president; a Florida church tied to Trump spiritual adviser and "prosperity gospel" leader Paula White; and a Christian-focused nonprofit where Jay Sekulow, the lawyer who defended the president during his impeachment, is chief counsel.

Comments

I thought the money was supposed to go to essential businesses not nonprofits that aren't even led by Prophets.

#1 | Posted by Tor at 2020-07-07 11:00 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Buying votes of real 'Merkins

#2 | Posted by hamburglar at 2020-07-07 11:42 PM | Reply

It was never anything more than a raid on the treasury by Trump and his allies.

I don't remember who, but somebody here wondered/asked if the going rate was 10 or 20% of each loan amount "donated" back to Trump's campaign.

Of which he'll spend little and keep what's left. It's a giant money laundering operation conducted in plain sight.

#3 | Posted by jpw at 2020-07-08 01:11 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

It is becoming clear to me that Trump's supporters just don't care how crooked he is. That there is some expensive racism.

#4 | Posted by danni at 2020-07-08 08:10 AM | Reply

Well I guess gawd wanted to give everyone in the clergy a raise for all the good praying that keeps people from getting sick... cheaper than paying a hospital am I right?

#5 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2020-07-08 08:29 AM | Reply

More obscenity from rwingers in politics and in religion.... so nothing new.

Tho=ma Jefferson is Maytaging in his grave.

#6 | Posted by Corky at 2020-07-08 09:26 AM | Reply

I have a real problem with this. (Of course I have an issue with "mega" churches in general but that's another story...) These are religious organizations that do NOT pay taxes. I am sorry but it is up to your worshipers to bail you out.

#7 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2020-07-08 10:04 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

JC chased the money-changers out of the temple, previously.

They're back.

#8 | Posted by getoffmedz at 2020-07-08 10:10 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#3 | Posted by jpw

I don't fully agree - like with anything opportunists and those that really shouldn't have been allowed to take part were included. The House, Senate and Trump all approved the final bill.

Yes there are certainly those that we would not like included that inevitably will be. We just need to keep making them public and remember in November. What I heard/read in multiple places - and I don't know if it was true or not - was the banks that took part favored customers on the larger side doing millions in business with them each year. I know it certainly is true my employer had the bank helping get things filled out and the application in correctly... TRULY small companies struggled to get relief or were cut out entirely - I know multiple SMALL business owners who were outright denied...

Loan terms are it needs to be spent on payroll and you can't lay people off to be forgiven otherwise it is a VERY cheap loan. I think you have until September as of now to pay it out in wages - it was already extended once.

#9 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2020-07-08 10:12 AM | Reply

- Tho=ma Jefferson

i have this new smaller keyboard... it's life is currently in jeopardy.

#10 | Posted by Corky at 2020-07-08 10:14 AM | Reply

#8 JC chased the money-changers out of the temple

Fatal mistake.

#11 | Posted by bruceaz at 2020-07-08 10:22 AM | Reply

But of course. Who doubts that we are already in The Banana Republic of Trumpistan?

#12 | Posted by e1g1 at 2020-07-08 12:31 PM | Reply

One of the many things wrong with American Christianity: these huge churches, hundreds of thousands, sit empty 5-6 days a week. We should have NO HOMELESS PROBLEM in this country. Churches should all be housing and feeding these folk.

#13 | Posted by e1g1 at 2020-07-08 12:33 PM | Reply

Sons of bitches in Scientology got a massive chunk too.

One of my favorite restaurants went under because they were not afforded enough PPP bailout. Just a smidgen re-appropriated to that restaurant from the chunk given to the cult of scientology could have saved them.

Protectors of rapists just received a lot of tax payer money while mom and pop shops are shuttering. Let that sink in.

#14 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2020-07-08 07:34 PM | Reply