Thursday, July 09, 2020

(George) Floyd uttered "I can't breathe" not a handful of times, as previous videotapes showed, but more than 20 times in all. He cried out not just for his dead mother but for his children too. Before his final breaths, Mr. Floyd gasped: "They'll kill me. They'll kill me."

Comments

George Floyd's dying moments have played on an endless loop, horrifying the world and prompting a spasm of street protests, but newly released evidence reveals an even more desperate scene than previously known in the moments before an officer pressed his knee into Mr. Floyd's neck.

Even before he was on the ground, Mr. Floyd said he was in physical distress, telling officers who were trying to get him into a squad car that he was claustrophobic and could not breathe.

At one point, according to one transcript, he said: "Momma, I love you. Tell my kids I love them. I'm dead."

(T)he body camera transcripts, and Mr. Lane's interview with investigators, provide more details about Mr. Floyd's exchange with officers, and how vociferously and persistently he had pleaded with them that he was having a medical emergency.

Just when you thought a homicide couldn't possibly get more sickening, here comes the transcripts confirming a depraved indifference that no police officer should ever exhibit when a cuffed suspect in no way physically threatens him.

I've never heard of someone literally begging for their very life - repeatedly assuring the officer that they offered no threat whatsoever and that he was struggling to fully breathe - down to the multiple times of addressing his killer as 'sir'. The saddest part of this entire affair beyond George Floyd's murder is that almost every black American regardless of wealth, education, or status, viscerally understands that this same thing could happen to them at any time - and that they'd be equally helpless to change the outcome but for the humanity of the police that they've encountered.

#1 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-07-09 07:14 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

this will for sure get that bad orange man out office like the impeachements and russiangate did said the nervous Social Justice Warrior for the 334343th time....

#2 | Posted by mutant at 2020-07-09 12:10 PM | Reply

do you honestly think these cops woke up and said "lets kill a black person today?"

#3 | Posted by mutant at 2020-07-09 12:14 PM | Reply

#4 | Posted by schifferbrains at 2020-07-09 12:19 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

is hooping what it should be or is it slang for transporting drugs in your rectum???

I really fear the repercussions if these cops walk due to following establish restrain protocols so let's just lock them up forever for the sake of the republic. The BLM and democratic mayors, council members, and citizens of these fine large cities really do not deserve another episode of peaceful protesting.

#5 | Posted by mutant at 2020-07-09 12:19 PM | Reply

"bad orange man's tax records are more important than a disqualifiying non citizen birth certificate right??@!!"

Absolutely. I actually don't even care where anyone was born but I do care if they are a crook.

#6 | Posted by danni at 2020-07-09 12:32 PM | Reply

" The BLM and democratic mayors, council members, and citizens of these fine large cities really do not deserve another episode of peaceful protesting."

Until they actually make the changes necessary the protesting will continue as it should. They will never change anything if we just depend on them to do the right things. We learned that back during the Civil Rights movement. Change only comes when it is loudly demanded and I actually hate to say it but sometimes violently demanded. Boston Tea Party and all that.

#7 | Posted by danni at 2020-07-09 12:34 PM | Reply

According to the Supreme Court?

Yes. Also according to common sense.

The bad man must turned over his taxes to investigators investigating crimes.

The good man already showed you his papers and proved he was born here.

No man is above the law. Even a fool on the Hill.

#8 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-07-09 12:42 PM | Reply

if these cops walk due to following establish restrain protocols

#5 | POSTED BY MUTANT AT 2020-07-09 12:19 PM | FLAG:

Chauvin will probably walk under the argument that since the subject was able to talk and yell he had no reason to believe he was applying more than light or moderate pressure. That's assuming he was authorized to use it in the first place which requires an instructor signoff it looks like.

#9 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2020-07-09 01:03 PM | Reply

#9 In that case, the law legalizes murder by asphyxiation.

#10 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-07-09 01:11 PM | Reply

#9 In that case, the law legalizes murder by asphyxiation.

#10 | POSTED BY SNOOFY AT 2020-07-09 01:11 PM | FLAG:

There was a separate line for application of neck restraints to render people unconscious on purpose. Minneapolis police, and many other cities, banned all neck restraints since this happened. When a guy starts beating his head into the inside of a police car window they're going to end up going back to the old method of curbing that behavior.

#11 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2020-07-09 01:24 PM | Reply

#4 | POSTED BY SCHIFFERBRAINS

I think he was thinking the same thing a parent who shakes their crying baby was thinking:

I will use force to silence you.

#12 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-07-09 01:27 PM | Reply

--------- - as you already probably know, being a US born citizen is a requirement for eligibility of holding presidential office. Observing anothers' tax form (which itself is pretty unAmerican and quite nosy) is not any requirement for that position.

If you want change in the US - Vote - but don't claim its the chinese or russians or some Jizzlane girl spy underage pimp dealer from Paulau Island*** And definitely don't protest "peacefully" as that might tarnish your image and dilute the message. You could get Corona virus if you did that!

#13 | Posted by mutant at 2020-07-09 01:46 PM | Reply

been gone so long I forgot how to post in the proper threads....impeach me!

#14 | Posted by mutant at 2020-07-09 01:46 PM | Reply

It's the law. Certain committees in Congress have the power under the law to obtain the tax returns of any US taxpayer, and, under the law, the Secretary of the Treasury shall provide them. It has never been controversial until 45 defied the law.

#15 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2020-07-09 02:08 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#3 | POSTED BY MUTANT

Actions speak louder than words.

Regardless of what they said that morning. Deciding to kneel on a man's neck for nine minutes while he beged them to get off him, so he can breath. Killed him.

But. It makes sense you're here to troll

It's the only thing Trumpubliklansmen got.

#16 | Posted by ClownShack at 2020-07-09 02:15 PM | Reply

all politicians should have to release taxes then - but it's pretty nosy as an American to snoop into others business.

www.accountingtoday.com

maplight.org

From their site (and Mutants mind as well)....
That everyone deserves an equal voice in our democracy;
That our lawmakers should represent the public interest, not wealthy special interests; and
That access to money should not determine who gets elected or how policy decisions are made.

I have promoted this non-partisan funding source site here for years so I am conflicted about personal stuff being posted if not required for the position (unlike entry level requirements such as US citizenship)

#17 | Posted by mutant at 2020-07-09 02:20 PM | Reply

"Chauvin will probably walk under the argument that since the subject was able to talk and yell he had no reason to believe he was applying more than light or moderate pressure."

Sure.
Body weight = "light or moderate pressure."
I guess he would have had to drive the car's tire onto his neck to achieve high pressure.

#18 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-07-09 02:53 PM | Reply

"but it's pretty nosy as an American to snoop into others business."

Aren't there some black people in the park you need to call 9-1-1 on?

#19 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-07-09 02:53 PM | Reply

Sure.

#18 | POSTED BY SNOOFY AT 2020-07-09 02:53 PM | FLAG:

Remind us of your grappling pedigree again.

#20 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2020-07-09 02:53 PM | Reply

Remind us of your grappling pedigree again.
#20 | POSTED BY SITZKRIEG

It's the one where eight minutes and forty-six seconds of kneeling on someone's neck can asphyxiate.
Since you have a different opinion, let's hear your bona fides.

#21 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-07-09 02:55 PM | Reply

"What do you honestly think Derek Chauvin was thinking while he was killing George Floyd?"

Eight minutes and forty-six seconds of light to moderate kneeling on the neck is well within the bounds of both legality and proper grappling technique.
--Sitzkrieg

#22 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-07-09 03:03 PM | Reply

Doesn't matter. It's always the black guy's fault, some way or another.

#23 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2020-07-09 03:07 PM | Reply

#22 | POSTED BY SNOOFY AT 2020-07-09 03:03 PM | FLAG:

Childish and trifling as usual.

No you wouldn't do that in competitive grappling. Terrible technique. You're trying to put them unconscious on purpose in a tournament. You wouldn't go Knee on Neck from their back. You'd go knee to the center of their back but only for control to setup the next position and submission combination somewhere down the flow chart. A Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Knee On Neck choke is done from a top position, but with their back to the ground, and you have to underhook deep as you can on your knee down side and get their gi or clothes grabbed onto deep at their shoulder. That's a strangulation and you go out within seconds. The black starts at the edges and it races inwards until things are just a pin -----. Then you have a very vivid dream and wake up not know why people are looking at you funny while some guy gets a high 5 from his friends and coach.

#24 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2020-07-09 03:25 PM | Reply

I'm of the opinion that cop is going to walk, but I don't like it.

#25 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2020-07-09 03:26 PM | Reply

Doesn't matter. It's always the black guy's fault, some way or another.

Derek Chauvin : You guys all right, though?

Thomas Lane: Yeah

J Alexander Kueng: Good so far?

Thomas Lane: My knee might be a little scratched, but I'll survive.

Rumor has it had Floyd survived he would have been charged with assault for the scratching of Officer Lane's knee.

#26 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-07-09 03:27 PM | Reply

#2 | POSTED BY MUTANT

Did you mistakenly post this here? Or are you spamming? If it's the latter, you must be really hurting today.

I empathize with you, fully. Hopefully, it will all be over come January 20, 2021. We both can rest then.

#27 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2020-07-09 03:41 PM | Reply

I'm of the opinion that cop is going to walk...
#25 | POSTED BY SITZKRIEG

Hate to say it, but I agree.

#28 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2020-07-09 03:44 PM | Reply

Remind us of your grappling pedigree again.

Trump Dojo. Majored in Grappling and Groping.
I have this here laminated card *flicks card aggressively* to prove it.
You can see by that psychotic signature, it's the real deal.

Now.

I FEEL THREATENED!!!
LET'S DANCE!!!

*switches to Praying Mantis NASCAR Stance*

#29 | Posted by schifferbrains at 2020-07-09 03:46 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#22 | POSTED BY SNOOFY AT 2020-07-09 03:03 PM | FLAG:
Childish and trifling as usual.

There's two problems here, and they're pretty deeply intertwined.
One is the law.
The other is the pigs.

Just keep voting third party, okay? That's neither childish nor trifling, okay?

#30 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-07-09 03:47 PM | Reply

I'm of the opinion that cop is going to walk...
#25 | POSTED BY SITZKRIEG

Hate to say it, but I agree.
#28 | POSTED BY RSTYBEACH11

#31 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-07-09 03:49 PM | Reply

to a status quo

#31 | POSTED BY SNOOFY AT 2020-07-09 03:49 PM | FLAG:

It only took 6 revisions for Minneapolis, but that particular branch of police can't restrain you by the neck anymore. You're such a fan of incrementalism you should be celebrating. It's one tiny step forward from getting choked to death for selling a loosie. Still can't sell loosies though.

#32 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2020-07-09 03:59 PM | Reply

Technically, Mr. Floyd had COVID. Given the current COVID-influence climate, I would make the argument that Floyd would have lived...had he not had COVID. You can say that the knee on the neck was an unnecessarily introduced co-morbidity, but that would mean the cop wasn't trying to kill him, or even thought it would kill him. And in support, I would research how many cops had put knees on throats, and of that number, how many had died. If the number of comparative deaths is sufficiently small enough, you have a strong argument for getting your client off. Or so I would think.

#33 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-07-09 04:11 PM | Reply

"I'm of the opinion that the riots afterward will be a rational and justified response to a status quo that Sitzkrieg doesn't like."

Yeah.

More black people burning down more black neighborhoods.

Who is more racist? You or Trump?

#34 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-07-09 04:12 PM | Reply

"You're such a fan of incrementalism you should be celebrating."

I don't see any meaningful progress on how the police treat blacks since Rodney King.

How about you?

#35 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-07-09 04:13 PM | Reply

#33 It comes as no surprise that MadBomber sides with the pigs.

At least Sitzkrieg didn't do that.

#36 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-07-09 04:16 PM | Reply

"#33 It comes as no surprise that MadBomber sides with the pigs."

Pigs???? Me??? Hell no!

That's you.

I'm just not sure which one you are. Napoleon, Snowball, or Squeaker.

Personally, I'd like to see the pigs reduced to their rightful place as bacon. I thought we had. Then came Bernie.

#37 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-07-09 04:22 PM | Reply

#33 | POSTED BY MADBOMBER

Not necessary.

His badge and union will protect him.

You're digging too deep into the weeds.

#38 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2020-07-09 04:26 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

It is interesting that you refer to cops as pigs, when the devout socialist George Orwell referred to people like you in the same light.

I don't really like Orwell. I read Homage to Catalonia and was somewhat disgusted by his support for the anarchists, who really were the ISIS of their time.

I do like this quote though:

"Those who abjure' violence can only do so because others are committing violence on their behalf."

Kinda fits you.

#39 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-07-09 04:27 PM | Reply

Bernie resurrected a political fire I thought was dead within me. I was resented to voting 3rd party knowing that humanity was still doomed. The Bernie/Ocasio/Millenials movement gives me hope.

#40 | Posted by hamburglar at 2020-07-09 04:28 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"His badge and union will protect him."

I would hope not.

If the neck tactic had been done several thousand times with no bad outcome, then it's not the tactic. If the cop had elected to use his own tactic, and it resulted in a dead man...different story entirely.

The cop seems like a bit of an ------- to me, but if they were trained to but knee to neck, then don't fault the cop, fault the training.

#41 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-07-09 04:31 PM | Reply

Abjure? Nice word.

When did I renounce violence?

I just said riots are a rational response to state sanctioned murder.

You're trying way too hard, but nobody has any idea what you're actually trying to do.

I mean, unless you're really just that intent on riding my jock. Honestly that's looking more and more like the reason you're here.

#42 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-07-09 04:31 PM | Reply

"The Bernie/Ocasio/Millenials movement gives me hope."

Hope that the US could look more like Venezuela?

#43 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-07-09 04:32 PM | Reply

Re: #43

Somalia. Oh, wait, that's your Libertarian dream

#44 | Posted by hamburglar at 2020-07-09 04:34 PM | Reply

"I just said riots are a rational response to state sanctioned murder."

Really?

Honestly, I appreciate objectivity above all, but if you're not objective, honesty is next. I'd rather know you're a monster beforehand than question it later on.

#45 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-07-09 04:41 PM | Reply

"So if Cliven Bundy's clan had gone balls out after "pigs" killed LaVoy Finicum in Oregon, you would reconcile that as a rational response."

Cart/Horse

#46 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-07-09 04:42 PM | Reply

"Somalia. Oh, wait, that's your Libertarian dream"

Is it?

A fundamentalist Muslim country is a libertarian dream?

Dude, you might like it. Capitalism doesn't exist in Islam. It's forbidden.

I can get you a ticket if you'd like.

#47 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-07-09 04:43 PM | Reply

Really easy to pick this one apart, MadBomber.

Tell us about the Boston Tea Party.
Rational response?

#48 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-07-09 04:43 PM | Reply

"Capitalism doesn't exist in Islam. It's forbidden."

Someone should have told Osama bin Laden before he became a billionaire!

#49 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-07-09 04:44 PM | Reply

#50 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-07-09 04:44 PM | Reply

I pity you for your Islamophobia. Other than the US, what is your next best example of a model country for Libertarianism?

#51 | Posted by hamburglar at 2020-07-09 04:45 PM | Reply

Capitalism doesn't exist in Islam. It's forbidden.

Never heard this one before.

Please. Do explain. Make sure you're using citations to back up your assertions.

#52 | Posted by ClownShack at 2020-07-09 04:47 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Just be honest and explain how the "pigs" should have handled the Bundy Clan. If you can."

They handled it fine, by letting them cry it out.

#53 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-07-09 04:48 PM | Reply

Boston Tea Party much?

#54 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-07-09 04:48 PM | Reply

#52 I think it goes to MadBomber's version of Capitalism can't survive without predatory lending practices, and usury is indeed Haram.

Usury also forbidden by Christianity, but that doesn't stop our Christian nation from embracing it.

#55 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-07-09 04:51 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

I'd rather know you're a monster beforehand than question it later on.
#45 | POSTED BY MADBOMBER

#56 | Posted by JOE at 2020-07-09 04:53 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I'd rather know you're a monster beforehand than question it later on.
#45 | POSTED BY MADBOMBER

^
The guy who wrote this calls ten thousand gun homicides a hallmark of liberty.

#57 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-07-09 04:54 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Didn't he fire a gun at state troopers?

#58 | Posted by jpw at 2020-07-09 05:08 PM | Reply

No. He motioned to his jacket twice and was yelling "SHOOT ME!" at the police. So they shot him. He did have a loaded pistol in his pocket.

#59 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2020-07-09 05:25 PM | Reply

How about you?

#35 | POSTED BY SNOOFY AT 2020-07-09 04:13 PM | FLAG:

We went the other way with that and added laws that would obviously, disproportionately effect black communities. You can only get somebody for so long on a drug sentence. Add some gun control to the mix and now you've got a guy for 30 years and a fat stack of charges. Looks great on a police record, looks great on a DA record who wants to get into politics.

#60 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2020-07-09 05:37 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"We went the other way with that and added laws that would obviously, disproportionately effect black communities."

Nice job explaining why civil unrest seems like an appropriate and rational response.

See Also: Riot Act, Boston Tea Party.

#61 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-07-09 05:52 PM | Reply

"He motioned to his jacket twice and was yelling "SHOOT ME!" at the police. So they shot him. He did have a loaded pistol in his pocket."

Such a fine line, between martyr and suicide by cop...

#62 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-07-09 05:53 PM | Reply

#61 | POSTED BY SNOOFY AT 2020-07-09 05:52 PM | FLAG:

Haven't listened to RTJ4 yet? Put down the scandavian metal, it's whiter than Country.

#63 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2020-07-09 08:42 PM | Reply

#63 the comments are fire
Mash Out Posse - Ante Up
www.youtube.com

#64 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-07-09 09:05 PM | Reply

The Road to Wigan Pier might be more insightful, MadBomber.

#65 | Posted by YAV at 2020-07-09 09:21 PM | Reply

By the year 2020, no child will be left behind.
Gangsta Rap Made Me Do It
www.youtube.com

#66 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-07-09 09:34 PM | Reply

"I pity you for your Islamophobia."

I've lived in an Islamic country. Have you?

#67 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-07-10 03:24 AM | Reply

"The guy who doesn't care how many hundreds of thousands of innocent Americans die a painful death from a virus we could have easily contained calling anyone a "monster" is all the laughs i need for one day."

Easily contained?

You're still running from it. It might be you always will. Unless you die of something else first.

#68 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-07-10 03:28 AM | Reply

And why would you contain a disease that, for most, is little more than a nuisance?

We don't try and contain Chicken Pox, do we? I don't recall ever having to quarantine because I had a cold.

#69 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-07-10 03:33 AM | Reply

Thank you, Yav. I had never even heard of the book. I've read animal farm and Homage. I am torn on Orwell. In Homage, he is supportive of the anarchists and the non-Soviet backed groups, who were easily as vile as the Nationalists. Maybe it was because of this experience he understood that socialism also had a dangerous side. As far as I know, he never stopped supporting socialism, but nor did he stop criticizing it.

I am clearly no fan of socialism, but you have to credit him for being outspoken in a time when it was unpopular. Maybe he was the Chomsky of his day. It will be interesting to see if anyone goes after Chomsky for supporting free expression. I'm not really a fan of Chomsky, but he has always been clear that the speech you dislike the most is the speech that needs to be protected. There's a quote somewhere...just too lazy to look it up.

#70 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-07-10 03:43 AM | Reply

"If we don't believe in free expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all."

I guess I'm not so lazy.

#71 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-07-10 03:44 AM | Reply

"Goebbels was in favor of free speech for views he liked. So was Stalin. If you're really in favor of free speech, then you're in favor of freedom of speech for precisely the views you despise. Otherwise, you're not in favor of free speech."

#72 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-07-10 03:45 AM | Reply

"In many respects, the United States is a great country. Freedom of speech is protected more than in any other country. It is also a very free society."

Not sure if this one is still true. It's from 2008.

#73 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-07-10 03:46 AM | Reply

Other than the US, what is the best example of a Libertarian country? Somalia has no government, which is why I suggested them as a throw away example. I tutor Somalis, and I traveled in Morocco for half a month, where they are more progressive with Islam. So, no, I haven't lived in and Islamic country.

Still, I'd like to know, other than the US, what is the best example of a Libertarian country?

#74 | Posted by hamburglar at 2020-07-10 02:38 PM | Reply