Thursday, July 09, 2020

When President Donald Trump told U.S. Army leaders in June not to remove Confederate names from bases, he also effectively halted an Army effort to create and implement a policy on divisiveness in the ranks far broader than a simple ban on the display of the Stars and Bars on military property. Rather than targeting just the flag or the base names, the idea was to take a commission-style approach that would look at anything that might be divisive and address not only the symbol, but the cultural forces behind it. The expectation and hope was that as the review progressed, other long-buried issues would become apparent. Among the potential friction points eyed were Army National Guard units with nicknames honoring Confederate leaders.

Comments

Joint Chiefs Chairman Condemns Confederate Symbols

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Mark Milley criticized Confederate symbols before the House Armed Services Committee on Thursday, and called the Civil War an "act of treason."

www.axios.com

Bunker Bitch is having himself a day.

#1 | Posted by reinheitsgebot at 2020-07-09 05:27 PM | Reply

Quantrill.

Now there's a name to be celebrated!

Gun down American Women and children. No problem
Rape some "yankees". No big deal. Attend a good ole' mass shooting of young boys and old men, no fuss

Its heritage! Good peoples.

Deplorables, look under your seat ...... You get a statue, you get a statue, and you get a statue!

It's participation trophy's all around

- - Doprah Trump

#2 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2020-07-09 05:42 PM | Reply

I'm in the military.

It wasn't until recently that it I realized many bases were named not only after Confederate officers, but very terrible confederate officers.

I don't care what side a soldier fought on, be they friend or foe. What matters is how they conducted themselves. And most of the Confederate soldiers who have bases named after them turned out to be terrible officers.

The US has no shortage of service members who died crushing it. Let's rename some ----!!!

#3 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-07-10 03:35 PM | Reply

It's kinda cute how we name bases for Confederates and weapons systems for Indians.

Maybe in the years to come the Air Force will be firing Saddam missiles and the Navy will launch sorties from the USS Noriega.

#4 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-07-10 05:54 PM | Reply

Same. Had no idea of the history behind some of the army bases names, or why they were originally named so (basically: to get the local populace's support for establishing a base [!!]).

Plenty of servicemembers worthy of naming bases after in the 20th/21st century.

#5 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2020-07-10 07:44 PM | Reply

I did find it funny how when the Navy put out their warning to the force that the Confederate flag and associated symbols are banned from establishments, they included submarines on the list. With the limited stowage space available on subs... I wonder whether anyone actually brought one on their deployment anytime in the last 20+ years lol

#6 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2020-07-10 07:48 PM | Reply

I was riding a train several days ago along the Rhine river. One of the houses had a confederate flag out in front of it. I thought that a bit strange, but I've also noticed that many people around the world are taken with US culture. Even in the strict Muslim countries.

#7 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-07-11 05:12 AM | Reply

One of North Korea's primary missile systems is called the No-Dong. Still makes me laugh.

For a country trying to look like badasses, I think they need to hire a brand manager.

#8 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-07-11 05:14 AM | Reply | Funny: 3

MADBOMBER @ #7

"many people around the world are taken with US culture.:

I can believe that. A lady I know in Northern Ireland is afraid to come to the "States" because she thinks there's a shoot-out on every street corner. She watches American crime shows on TV.

#9 | Posted by Twinpac at 2020-07-11 05:46 AM | Reply

#7 That's a great ride. Much better than the ICE route. Did you pass by the (remains) of the Bridge at Remagen?

#10 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-07-11 07:29 AM | Reply

#8 | POSTED BY MADBOMBER

But they have Trump.
Trump is a serial brander.
Kinda surprised there isn't a building re-branded as Trump Tower in Pyongyang by now, paid for with Mexico's money, diverted from the Wall.

#11 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-07-11 07:40 AM | Reply

"A lady I know in Northern Ireland is afraid to come to the "States" because she thinks there's a shoot-out on every street corner. "

I heard the same from in-laws when I went to Tijuana. Thought I was in grave danger from Mexican drug cartels. Ummm... no.

#12 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-07-11 07:41 AM | Reply

I'm in the military.

I thought you had retired and moved to private industry?

#13 | Posted by jpw at 2020-07-11 06:37 PM | Reply

So did Quantrill and his men ever actually sexually assault somebody or is that just trash talk from a Jayhawk?

;)