Saturday, July 11, 2020

A bus driver in France who was beaten up by passengers refusing to wear mandatory face masks died in hospital Friday, French Prime Minister Jean Castex and the victim's family have said.

Comments

France, Texas?

#1 | Posted by Corky at 2020-07-11 07:15 PM | Reply

Womp womp.

#2 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-07-11 07:22 PM | Reply

I assumed this was in the US when I first saw the article. But the poor guy was beaten, not shot - so that was an early clue.

#3 | Posted by billy_boy at 2020-07-11 07:44 PM | Reply

was this a BLM supporter that supports masks?

Was this a BLM supporter that does not support masks?

Was this a Trumper that supports masks?

Was this a Trumper that does not support masks?

I surrender!

#4 | Posted by mutant at 2020-07-11 08:02 PM | Reply

#4 | Posted by mutant

It must be so noisy inside your head with all the competing sock-puppets :)

#5 | Posted by billy_boy at 2020-07-11 08:15 PM | Reply

billy boy don't know history

#6 | Posted by mutant at 2020-07-11 08:35 PM | Reply

Don't know much about history
Don't know much biology
Don't know much about a science book
Don't know much about the French I took

#7 | Posted by mutant at 2020-07-11 08:36 PM | Reply

#6 | Posted by mutant
#7 | Posted by mutant

You are a treat :)
And an alcoholic :)

Please don't ever change !

#8 | Posted by billy_boy at 2020-07-11 09:16 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

@#4 ... was this a BLM supporter that supports masks? ...

What does BLM have to do with this?

Please explain.

thx.

#9 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-07-11 09:55 PM | Reply

I'm relatively new here and pretty much an outsider. Can someone explain to me what comments like #2 add to the discussion?

#10 | Posted by Charliecharles at 2020-07-12 02:31 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Comments that you cite are what makes many of us here, no longer new anymore.

#11 | Posted by LesWit at 2020-07-12 03:07 AM | Reply

Most of the mourners in the photo are not wearing masks.

#12 | Posted by sixam at 2020-07-12 07:37 AM | Reply

#10 | POSTED BY CHARLIECHARLES

'Womp womp' refers to what some ----- (can't remember his name just now) said on Fox news referring to a ten year old with down's syndrome being separated from her parents during the 'Kids In Cages' tour.

It's short-hand for 'who cares? and why should we even attempt at making things right? so much more enjoyable to mock and laugh'

Try it out!

#13 | Posted by schifferbrains at 2020-07-12 07:58 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

First, that's an interesting observation of an odd juxtaposition/contradiction in the context of why he was killed.
Second, in the larger picture, it looks like about 40% with masks (I only counted faces that I could determine actually had or did not have a mask).
Third, they are outdoors, which we know makes a big difference.
Fourth, you can't tell how far apart people are, other than the clumping of presumed relatives at the front, and given how photos can make a beach look crowded, I tend to hold off making generalizations. A shot from above would determine what's going on with spacing.
Fifth, this is in France. They had 731 new cases yesterday, adjusted to population of the United States, that would scale to the U.S. having 3,500 cases. The U.S. had 70,000. That's 20 times worse than France.
Sixth, his enforcement of mask wearing was part of his job, unrelated to his personal belief, or the belief of others. He was doing his job.

Can someone explain to me what comments like #2 add to the discussion?

Womp Womp - a trombone sound - a meme taken from a right-winger/trump sycophant ------- Cory Lewindowsky when he mocked a 10 year old girl with Down Syndrome. Employed in #2 it is a succinct sarcastic device directed back at the scum that killed this man and the care and concern they exhibited. It equates the murders with trump's no-maskers.

#14 | Posted by YAV at 2020-07-12 08:06 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#13 - Ok, that was more direct than mine :)

#15 | Posted by YAV at 2020-07-12 08:07 AM | Reply

What does BLM have to do with this?

Please explain.

thx.
#9 | POSTED BY LAMPLIGHTER

Busdrivers Lives Matter?

#16 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-07-12 10:02 AM | Reply

"I'm relatively new here and pretty much an outsider."

Welcome brother!

Enjoy your naivety as long as you can.

If you don't know what "womp womp" means you are not paying attention.

If you do start to pay attention be aware that you are going to get very very angry.

#17 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-07-12 10:06 AM | Reply

I didn't know what womp womp meant until Yav told us how to pronounce it.

#18 | Posted by bruceaz at 2020-07-12 10:16 AM | Reply

I didn't know what womp womp meant until Yav told us how to pronounce it.

#18 | POSTED BY BRUCEAZ AT 2020-07-12 10:16 AM | FLAG:

I would argue that it needs to be spelled wahm wahm, rather than womp womp. Said trombones don't really make a P sound to my ear. But anyway, carry on.

#19 | Posted by cbob at 2020-07-12 11:36 AM | Reply

You are right bob. No p sound. More of a t sound.

I think it's more of a

"Whaant whaant whaaa!"

It's that cup muting thingy they use.

#20 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-07-12 11:54 AM | Reply

knowyourmeme.com

#21 | Posted by YAV at 2020-07-12 12:14 PM | Reply

Thanks to all who responded. I have a better ubderstanding now.

#22 | Posted by Charliecharles at 2020-07-12 05:46 PM | Reply

#10 | POSTED BY CHARLIECHARLES

That's a fair question.

It doesn't add much.

It is intended to highlight the ugly truth that right-wingers routinely mock tragic events like this.

Or, they might use it to make a political statement like "I bet he wishes France had a Second Amendment now." Sort of claiming this death as a victory for gun rights.

Not sure that really adds anything new to the discussion. It's more of a reminder of where we are, and how we got here.

Of course, I could be totally off-base. It could have been Yellow Jackets who murdered the bus driver. The four attackers are in custody but their identities (or political ideologies) have not been released.

#23 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-07-12 06:27 PM | Reply

I've been here for years but I never actually knew what that meant either. I appreciate Charlie for asking the question I probably should have asked myself a long time ago.

#24 | Posted by danni at 2020-07-13 09:52 AM | Reply

DANNI

I always thought "womp-womp" meant sad trombone.

When I use it I always put "sad trombone" in parentheses.

#25 | Posted by Twinpac at 2020-07-13 10:06 AM | Reply