Wednesday, July 15, 2020

The coronavirus pandemic stripped an estimated 5.4 million Americans of their health insurance between February and May, a stretch in which more adults became uninsured because of job losses than have ever lost coverage in a single year, according to a new analysis. The study ... found that the estimated increase in uninsured laid-off workers over the three-month period was nearly 40 percent higher than the highest previous increase, which occurred during the recession of 2008 and 2009.

Comments

"Perfect time to kill Obamacare once and for all!" - Jenius of the Stable

#1 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-07-13 06:27 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

But the stock market is doing well, so...

#2 | Posted by Derek_Wildstar at 2020-07-13 07:37 PM | Reply

I don't think it is actually the pandemic that robbed these people of health insurance - or health care in general.

#3 | Posted by billy_boy at 2020-07-13 08:16 PM | Reply

Why do you think that? Since March, over 50 million people have applied for unemployment benefits. 5.4 million is a little more than 10% of them.

#4 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-07-13 08:23 PM | Reply

#4 | Posted by tonyroma

Exactly - the pandemic is merely the trigger, the failure was built into healthcare in the US. Do you get it now, or do you want to argue?

#5 | Posted by billy_boy at 2020-07-13 08:33 PM | Reply

And you think people don't understand this? Your opening statement though isn't supported by facts. The pandemic caused businesses to close and lay off people who would still be employed (and have coverage) had it not occurred.

In this instance, the pandemic definitely "robbed these people of health insurance." The topic was not the efficacy of the system - which is of course horrid - it was the pandemic's role in this record number of citizens losing their healthcare due to a singular event.

#6 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-07-13 08:42 PM | Reply

#6 | Posted by tonyroma

Awesome! :)

The pandemic didn't rob these people of anything - it merely set in motion a series of events that led to these people losing health coverage. The loss of health coverage was inevitable, the system has plenty of single points of failure - from the perspective of those depending on employer provided health coverage...employers go out of business, people-------- off, employers try to increase profits by eliminating benefits.

Your turn :)

#7 | Posted by billy_boy at 2020-07-13 08:59 PM | Reply

What you're saying is,
It wasn't the straw that broke the camel's back, it was all the other stuff on there!

You're making a point, while simultaneously missing the point.

#8 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-07-13 09:28 PM | Reply

I came in here to watch Boazo do his floppy feet happy dance.

#9 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2020-07-15 08:32 AM | Reply

@#4 ... The issue is that health insurance coverage is too often tied to one's employment - and if you lose your job, you lose your health coverage. ...

Worth repeating.

#10 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-07-15 08:53 AM | Reply

Billy Boy did make his point more clear, we don't need fellow reasonable people fighting with each other over a slight misunderstanding. Save your fight for the conservatives who come here and say things like, "well those 50 million people should have planned better, I'm doing fine, and I don't think I'm a heartless ------- for not caring about anyone else."

#11 | Posted by danni at 2020-07-15 09:21 AM | Reply

Yep, here I am. I'm made it to becoming a statistic. Over 15 years employed with a company devastated by the outbreak. Lost my job due to the cost of my insurance during furlough. No insurance for myself and my daughter during a pandemic. If my insurance was not tied to my employment, I would still have insurance and probably still be on furlough, protecting my tenure and pay rate.

#12 | Posted by memyselfini at 2020-07-15 01:49 PM | Reply

And unbelievably, they're in court trying to overturn the Patient Protection & Affordable Care Act.

In the middle of a pandemic ...

#13 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2020-07-15 10:11 PM | Reply

Hang in there Memyselfni.

#14 | Posted by bruceaz at 2020-07-15 10:25 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The Trumpvirus is the best advertisement of Universal Coverage I have seen in my lifetime.

#15 | Posted by Nixon at 2020-07-16 12:29 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#14 | POSTED BY BRUCEAZ

Thanks Bruce. I'm trying to keep a positive attitude through this and figure how to pivot if my industry doesn't come back.

#16 | Posted by memyselfini at 2020-07-17 12:21 PM | Reply

#12 Health insurance would be my top priority right about now.

#17 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-07-17 12:38 PM | Reply

#12 | POSTED BY MEMYSELFINI

That should be a campaign ad.

This whole healthcare debacle is thanks to Republicans. Democrats would have severed that tie.

Health insurance should not be tied to your employment. It's common sense. It's too bad we don't have any of that anymore either. This is why America is looking and acting like a third world country.

It is said that Americans always do the right thing. Eventually. After we have tried everything else first.

I hope we are done being stupid pretty soon. I am getting old. I might miss it! My mom and dad did. They are gone. My dad, who fought in the war and helped occupy Japan and then served in the coast guard, died with a broken heart after watching his America turn to someone like Trump and turn its back on millions of Americans.

I would send you thoughts and prayers but what will that do for you and your access to affordable health care?

All I can say is Elections Matter. We let this happen to us. I hope we stop the insanity pretty soon. For your sake and millions of other Americans. Hundreds of thousands of which will die due to negligence.

Criminal Negligence.

Don't forget to vote! Vote the bums out.

#18 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-07-17 12:56 PM | Reply