Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Manuel "Matty" Moroun died on Monday at 93 years old. That name might not mean much to you if you're not from metro Detroit or Windsor, Canada, but around these parts, he was known mainly as the billionaire who owned, among other things, the Ambassador Bridge, which just happens to carry roughly 27 percent of all merchandise trade between Canada and the U.S.

Comments

Great read. The guy was a genuine SOB and a prime example of what is wrong with politics and money in this country. Being from Michigan, I am all too familiar with him. We voted for a second bridge years ago and his family is still fighting it. Billionaires for you...

#1 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2020-07-14 08:25 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Have to respect the hustle, but what a toxic way to make an income.
The intersection of public funds and private profits.

#2 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2020-07-15 12:28 PM | Reply

I loath and admire him.

He was like the railroads big four.

#3 | Posted by Tor at 2020-07-15 01:44 PM | Reply

I loath and admire him.

#3 | Posted by Tor

That's actually a good way to put it. I admire what he achieved but loath the many and his style of doing business. I can say I would assuredly NOT be like him if I had the same position of money and power but it is what it is. The mob ties have been discussed forever.

Once the new bridge is complete it will only be a matter of time before the Ambassador bridge comes down - the tolls will not be charged going into Canada only out and they will be a fraction of what it costs to cross the Ambassador. Then there is the fact it is 3 lanes in each direction vs 2 on the old bridge. I am sure both sides will work harder to expedite traffic (at least the Canadians) vs the Ambassador. Bottom line that bridge and its private ownership became a genuine thorn when Moroun bought control. His son may well cede control to the governments at some point.

#4 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2020-07-15 04:40 PM | Reply

The mob ties have been discussed forever.

I feel similarly about most large or international logistics/shipping companies. Eventually you get into an arena where you have to "pay the local warlord." Or begin feeling like the organization is too big to fail and branch into other types of sketchy business such as bribery/fraud (www.sandiegouniontribune.com).

#5 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2020-07-15 05:02 PM | Reply

I like the tunnel better :-)

Back in 2011, when my golden boy was diagnosed with lymphoma, I'd been fostering another dog for 9 months someone threw out a pickup truck window when he was 4 months old. A wonderful boy we'd have kept him if not for the other's cancer diagnosis.

I found "Buddy" a home with a wonderful family in Oakville, Ontario (next to Toronto) who'd even had a swimming pool installed so their two now-gone labs could swim. I met his new mom in Lima, OH a couple of days before Christmas 2011.

She sent me a pic of their arrival on the Canadian side of the Ambassador Bridge with this story:

"When the immigration officer asked to see his vaccination papers, we let Buddy out of the car. He sat and offered his paw, as I'd trained him to do when meeting new people. The immigration officer, without hesitating, swore Buddy in as a Canadian citizen."

I laughed out loud.

#6 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2020-07-15 08:03 PM | Reply

BTW, I still get regular updates on my 'dogson' Buddy, and send him presents to him up on Canada a couple times a year. He's living the life of a prince.

#7 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2020-07-15 08:07 PM | Reply

I was the one who taught Buddy to offer a paw ... Meant to put that in parentheses.

#8 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2020-07-15 08:09 PM | Reply

I can see the old bridge being bought for a song soon as the new one is completed.

it would be great for all forms of transportation other than cars and trucks and could be used by them if the normal bridge was closed.

#9 | Posted by Tor at 2020-07-15 10:29 PM | Reply