Thursday, July 16, 2020

Mary Trump's tell-all book had sold a staggering 950,000 copies by the end of its first day on sale, publisher Simon & Schuster said Thursday. That figure, which included pre-sales, as well as e-books and audiobooks, is a new record for Simon & Schuster, the company said. Mary Trump faced litigation from Robert Trump, the President's brother, who argued in court that it violated a confidentiality agreement related to Fred Trump's estate. But a New York judge ultimately allowed its release.

Comments

And this time it wasn't the RNC buying copies to make it look good.

#1 | Posted by Sycophant at 2020-07-16 04:40 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

Our copy, from Amazon, should be here by the end of the day.

OCU

#2 | Posted by OCUser at 2020-07-16 05:00 PM | Reply

I'm surprised donald did't buy them all. And then not pay for them, of course.

#3 | Posted by REDIAL at 2020-07-16 05:11 PM | Reply

950,001

#4 | Posted by e1g1 at 2020-07-16 05:52 PM | Reply

And this time it wasn't the RNC buying copies to make it look good.[...]

#1 | POSTED BY SYCOPHANT AT 2020-07-16 04:40 PM

[...]or the Walton Klan buying tens of thousands to hawk at Walmart and Sams Club.

#5 | Posted by e1g1 at 2020-07-16 05:54 PM | Reply

Somehow I don't think The Donald will be buying a copy. lol. He is curled up in a fetal position in his emotional bunker.

#6 | Posted by moder8 at 2020-07-16 06:15 PM | Reply

Do you realize how much these through-the-roof sales of that book must be pissing Donald off? His niece is making a fortune by -------- all over him. (Now that is one upcoming Thanksgiving dinner at which I would like to be a fly on the wall.)

#7 | Posted by moder8 at 2020-07-16 06:28 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#7 | Posted by moder8 at 2020

His rage will be murderous.

#8 | Posted by Zed at 2020-07-16 06:56 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Because I don't suck I'm not buying a copy from Amazon or any other online retailer I'm buying mine from a local brick-and-mortar bookstore which isn't doing very well.

#9 | Posted by Tor at 2020-07-16 07:30 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

@#1 ... And this time it wasn't the RNC buying copies to make it look good. ...

I wouldn't be so sure about that. ;)

#10 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-07-16 10:41 PM | Reply

Well at least we know it's not Donnie's little ------------- because well... books have words. Reading & comprehension, a foreign concept for them.

#11 | Posted by jvel777 at 2020-07-16 11:46 PM | Reply

#6 | POSTED BY MODER8 AT 2020-07-16 06:15 PM

That's right!! In his pink bunny slippers sucking on his thumb clutching his Orange Tickle Me Elmo security blanket.

#12 | Posted by jvel777 at 2020-07-16 11:48 PM | Reply

Our copy of Mary Trump's book, 'Too Much and Never Enough: How My Family Created the World's Most Dangerous Man', arrived earlier today and I hope to read it over the next few days.

The book is not all that long, a bit over 200 pages, but the prologue was 17 pages, which I just finished reading. I got the impression that the prologue was perhaps the last part of the book that was written since at the end Mary Trump talks about the COVID pandemic and how her uncle is totally incapable of dealing with it. According to her, the day Donald Trump made his first misstatement about the virus was the day that he sealed the county's fate since he is unable to admit to anyone that he has ever been wrong about anything, period.

As I go along, if there's anything else that I find of interest, I'll post my comments.

BTW, my wife is reading Bolton's book, 'The Room Where It Happened: A White House Memoir', which arrived at the beginning of last week. Bolton's book is much longer, over 500 pages, so maybe we'll finish our respective reading assignments at about the same time and then we can switch.

OCU

#13 | Posted by OCUser at 2020-07-17 12:43 AM | Reply

Donald Trump is most definitely reading a copy. A malignant narcissist will never be able to resist reading a book entirely about him even if the whole book is about how awful he is it's still a book about him.

#14 | Posted by Tor at 2020-07-17 04:07 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The trumper view is that we should not listen to her because she wanted to make a buck? I find it funny when people turn-on and off being an american for the sake of an argument. If we are free and this is an open market, people can sell what they want.

#15 | Posted by Brennnn at 2020-07-17 06:22 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#9 | Posted by Tor

Wow. Virtue signalling at it's best. Did anyone ask Tor this question?

#16 | Posted by boaz at 2020-07-17 07:57 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

"The trumper view is that we should not listen to her because she wanted to make a buck?"

Sort of like Donald Trump and family using the Presidency for the same purpose.

"Wow. Virtue signalling at it's best. Did anyone ask Tor this question?"

No, Tor's just being a good local citizen. I do the same thing whenever possible. Such as....I shop Publix here where they have installed self-serve checkout lanes....I refuse to use them and the cashiers who check me out thank me for that. They know me because I've shopped in the same store for over 15 years and I like them and care about them. Personally, I think the self-serve check out lanes makes Publix look greedy. I may have to find a grocery store that isn't so greedy. Whole Foods just gave all their employees $600.00 bonuses. Bezos may be trying to take over the world but at least he's treating his employees decently.

#17 | Posted by danni at 2020-07-17 08:32 AM | Reply

And, does BOAZ non-virtue signal with his posts? What is wrong with virtue? The right is made up of deeply disturbed people who actually resent other people for trying to support local businesses who are taking a pounding right now. How is that good?

#18 | Posted by danni at 2020-07-17 08:34 AM | Reply

What is wrong with virtue?

#18 | Posted by danni at 2020-07-17 08:34 AM | Reply

That's easy.

It gets in the way of Donald Trump.

#19 | Posted by Zed at 2020-07-17 08:39 AM | Reply

"Sort of like Donald Trump and family using the Presidency for the same purpose."
He is an extreme for sure.

Do you think he is the first president to give gov. money to people that support him?

#20 | Posted by Brennnn at 2020-07-17 04:00 PM | Reply

I'm about a quarter of the way through the book and it's become very obvious that it was written by someone who understands the human psyche (Mary Trump is a clinical psychologist) but who also writes in a way that all of us can understand what it is that she's trying to tell us.

OCU

#21 | Posted by OCUser at 2020-07-17 11:18 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Anything in there that isn't blatantly obvious to the rest of us?

#22 | Posted by REDIAL at 2020-07-17 11:26 PM | Reply

The Art of the Squeal

#23 | Posted by pumpkinhead at 2020-07-18 12:50 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Anything in there that isn't blatantly obvious to the rest of us?

#22 | Posted by REDIAL

Not really, but Trump's niece does provide a detailed telling of the Trump family story starting at a very interesting point in time, the 1918 flu pandemic, which took the life of Donald Trump's grandfather and left Donald's father Fred, at age 12, with almost nothing. From there the story shows how he became a successful builder and how his own sociopathic behavior laid the foundation for the dysfunction that befell the entire family. Donald Trump was the fourth of five children, and the one that the father eventually made his heir apparent. But Fred left him more than just his empire, but also his pathologies along with Donald's own, that he developed along the way on his own.

I'm about a third of the way through the book, which takes us up to 1964, where Donald has just graduated from the New York Military Academy (in essence a reform school for rich kids) and is looking for a place in his father's company.

Mary Trump also spends a lot of time, understandably so, covering the life story of her father, Fred Jr, the second of the five children and oldest son. She just related how he lost his job as a pilot at TWA because of his drinking problem and how he had to eventually go back to work for his father, Fred Sr.

It looks like I might have the book finished by tomorrow evening.

OCU

#24 | Posted by OCUser at 2020-07-18 01:41 AM | Reply

I just finished the Mary Trump book. It's devastating, not that it will change the minds of any of Donald Trump's 'base', since none of them will ever read it, but for the rest of us, it assures us that our views and opinions are correct.

It's quite obvious that Mary Trump was still writing this book right up to the point that it went to print. The last section, the epilogue, had to have been written no later than the first week of June since it references the nationwide unrest after the George Floyd tragedy. The epilogue also goes into very precise detail as to what could have been done to avoid the COVID-19 situation that we now find ourselves in, and why Donald Trump was totally incapable of acting in a way that could have saved hundreds of thousands of lives. The day Trump made his first misstatement concerning the virus, was the day that he condemned all of us to the fate that we as a nation are now experiencing. All he would have had to do was say, sorry, I was wrong, I've consulted with the best experts in the world, and I'm going to do everything possible to see to it that their recommendations and advice is heeded and I will put the full weight of the federal government behind whatever it takes to defeat this 'silent enemy'. That's all it would have taken, but to do that he would have had to first say that, "When I spoke the other day, I was mistaken". Donald Trump is incapable of admitting that he has done anything in his life that wasn't 'prefect', the 'greatest' or 'beautiful', and he only has his father, and those who enable him, to blame.

BTW, Mary Trump has given a very prophetic title to the epilogue, 'The Tenth Ring', Anyone familiar with Dante's 'Inferno' will know, if they read this book and contemplate what our nation and the world has witnessed being done by Donald Trump and his minions these last four years, exactly why Mary Trump chose that title.

OCU

#25 | Posted by OCUser at 2020-07-19 01:16 AM | Reply

"Donald Trump is incapable of admitting that he has done anything in his life that wasn't 'prefect', the 'greatest' or 'beautiful'"

This is precisely what the Deplorables love about him so much!!!

You know how they constantly ridiculed the liberals for looking up to Obama as some kind of Messiah?
Trump is their Messiah.

#26 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-07-19 01:34 AM | Reply

An epilogue of my own concerning the Mary Trump book. Like the John Bolton book (which I intend to read when my wife finishes her copy), most all of the 'good stuff' has already been pretty much talked about, multiple times over, on TV, particularly on the cable news netwroks.

However, there was one small anecdote which I hadn't heard before, but which was so typical of Donald Trump, that I shouldn't have been surprised when I read it.

When Fred Trump Sr. died in 1999, at the funeral service, in addition to people like then Mayor of New York, Rudy Giuliani, each one of the four surviving children were asked to give a short eulogy in honor of their father. To the cringed shock of everyone present, Donald's eulogy quickly devolved into it being all about HIMSELF and HIS achievements.

Like I said, why was I surprised...

OCU