Friday, July 31, 2020

Food insecurity for U.S. households last week reached its highest reported level since the Census Bureau started tracking the data in May, with almost 30 million Americans reporting that they'd not had enough to eat at some point in the seven days through July 21. In the bureau's weekly Household Pulse Survey, roughly 23.9 million of 249 million respondents indicated that they "sometimes [had] not enough to eat" for the week ended July 21, while about 5.42 million indicated that they "often [had] not enough to eat." The survey, which began with the week ending May 5, was published Wednesday. The number of respondents who sometimes had insufficient food was at its highest point in the survey's 12 weeks. The number who often experienced food insufficiency was at its highest since the week ending May 26.

Comments

The gluttonous orange turd is making food insecurity great again.

#1 | Posted by reinheitsgebot at 2020-07-31 07:30 AM | Reply

Judging by their waistlines I don't believe it.

#2 | Posted by LIVE_OR_DIE at 2020-07-31 07:47 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

I've read that Americans eat on average 3200 calories vs 2600 for most European countries. So what we consider not being enough may be within normal range.

#3 | Posted by byrdman at 2020-07-31 08:07 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Republicans in the Senate have decided their holiday is more important than renewing the unemployment benefits for millions of Americans. How can any of you support them? We are approaching a French revolution moment if you know what I mean. Our government is deserting us in the middle of a pandemic which our President has intentionally allowed to go completely out of control. Us peasants are going to have to teach our upper classes some manners. Soon they will not be able to walk down the street without body guards. Starving people are not necessarily well behaved people. Heads may be misplaced.

#4 | Posted by danni at 2020-07-31 11:06 AM | Reply

See?

Dear Leader is just looking out for our health.

Humpy is letting the virus wash over us so we lose weight!

How thoughtful! Humpy knows what's best for America.

Humpy loves us.

Praise Humpy. May you be grabbed by his blessed Grabber.

#5 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-07-31 11:12 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

It's interesting how those most attached to capitalism do exactly what makes it ultimately unpopular. It leads to the economic disparity... inspiring revolution. Revolution destroys national infrastructure like what occurred in Mexico, China, Russia, Cuba, Iran, Vietnam, Cambodia etc etc etc and it takes decades to recover.

Check out history... economic disparity does it every time.

#6 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2020-07-31 11:14 AM | Reply

In Cambodia, they hacked the upper-class to bits.

#7 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2020-07-31 11:15 AM | Reply

#3 | POSTED BY BYRDMAN AT 2020-07-31 08:07 AM | FLAG:

3800 vs 3300 - 3700 from Frances to Greece. 3000ish if you're an ice country. It's 2800 in Eastern Europe. Skinny slav land.

#8 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2020-07-31 11:40 AM | Reply

I try to keep it around 3k but sometimes You gotta go crazy.

#9 | Posted by byrdman at 2020-07-31 11:42 AM | Reply

Have they even tried hamberders and covfefe?

#10 | Posted by Nixon at 2020-07-31 11:58 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Across the world, 821m people don't have enough to eat. If you look at that in proportion to us being the 3rd largest country by population in the world, that is an incredibly good number. We could always get better, for sure. But this proves that the topic isn't a systemic US problem, it's only a problem to the party who isn't in the POTUS seat at the time. Especially in an election year. As usual.

#11 | Posted by humtake at 2020-07-31 12:24 PM | Reply

#11 | POSTED BY HUMTAKE

When we're the wealthiest nation in history, 10 percent of our population not getting enough to eat is most certainly a problem.

#12 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2020-07-31 12:42 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"As Christians for Trump Judges we hear the plight of the poor and hungry and hope that those who are hungry also like the judges we are getting..."

#13 | Posted by catdog at 2020-07-31 12:56 PM | Reply

If we drop our form of capitalism and move to the Democratic version of Marxism we could improve our under nourished numbers. No one keeps a population hungry better than Marxists.

#14 | Posted by visitor_ at 2020-07-31 12:56 PM | Reply

The US may be the only location where the poor are fatter than the wealthy.

Think about that. The US has crossed a threshold where the poor resemble the wealthy of old.

#15 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-07-31 12:56 PM | Reply

"The US may be the only location where the poor are fatter than the wealthy."

Do we have to march through the "food desert" concept again? Or the fact a McBurger is a buck, but a McSalad is six?

#16 | Posted by Danforth at 2020-07-31 01:10 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

You know it's hard to feel sorry for society when you feel like Society f***** you in the --- decades ago and your life never got better.

I know I should be feeling terrible about this but I'm feeling nothing.

#17 | Posted by Tor at 2020-07-31 01:29 PM | Reply

Or the fact a McBurger is a buck, but a McSalad is six?

#16 | POSTED BY DANFORTH

Which is fascinating considering that it takes far more resources to create a burger than to create a head of lettuce.

#18 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2020-07-31 01:32 PM | Reply

I just got back from a trip to the autozone... there was a food line two miles long. I'm in DC... the capital of the freest richest nation in the whole entire world.

#19 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2020-07-31 02:02 PM | Reply

#8 | POSTED BY SITZKRIEG

Are these really the numbers? Holy ----.

The only times I go above 2,000 are when I eat out and splurge on some giant ass something or other that's 1,200 calories.

I make a point of avoiding menu items that are more than that.

No wonder Americans are fat bastards.

#20 | Posted by jpw at 2020-07-31 02:24 PM | Reply

#11 | POSTED BY HUMTAKE

You're always so desperate to spin spin spin away from a topic being bad and then cap it off with lame bothsiderism garbage.

Any way you slice it it's just another negative outcome of Trump's incompetency and negligence. Another added layer of stress that's only getting worse and worse.

#21 | Posted by jpw at 2020-07-31 02:47 PM | Reply

No wonder Americans are fat bastards.
#20 | POSTED BY JPW

Unbeknownst to me, when I used to be poor a little more than a decade ago, I had started intermittent fasting just because I couldn't afford 3 meals a day. I started skipping breakfast, would have a late lunch, but then that late lunch started bleeding into an early dinner and all of the sudden I was down to one meal a day, without being hungry! I've maintained that diet, only a few years ago learning that it was similar to intermittent dieting (clearly, I'm on the more extreme level than what is suggested). Until COVID hit, I was still working out regularly, playing hours of volleyball, cardio-bowling, all without any issues. My father adopted his version of intermittent fasting and has since lost weight, which his doctor praises since he has a heart condition. My fiance took it on last year and has lost weight, claims she is no where near as hungry during the day.

It works for me, helps me save money, and the hunger pains are not NEARLY as strong as they used to be prior to taking on this lifestyle. As a pot smoker, my "munchie cravings" subsided around that time as well. Not sure what's happening here, but I seem healthy (doctor corroborates) and I feel good.

I was never a big fan of breakfast foods anyways, so really no big loss save for the amount of calories I'm consuming daily.

#22 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2020-07-31 03:44 PM | Reply

My wife and I intermittently fast as well. She much longer than myself but I still follow it.

Eat a light lunch and then dinner once I get home that's about 1/3 protein and the rest veggies of some sort.

Actually found I was more clear headed and not as immediately hungry for lunch as I am when I eat breakfast.

Although with work from home during COVID I've gained about ten pounds so my calorie count has clearly gone up...

#23 | Posted by jpw at 2020-07-31 04:19 PM | Reply

#23 | POSTED BY JPW

My calorie intakes has increased since working from home, but that's explained by the IPA liquid diet. ;)

#24 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2020-07-31 04:22 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

I go the other way constant small portions a day. I do skip breakfast but usually have a bit around 9AM. Then a bit around 11, 1, and then my "lunch" of a yogurt around 3. Then about 5:30 another small meal and about a 500 calorie dinner about 7:30. My mini meals run about 100-200 calories. So 1500 a day on the high end 1000 on the low. I never feel hungry and have plenty of energy to work construction 12 hours a day 6 days a week. Don't work out either, with 12 hour days I don't really have the time and besides my work is active enough that would be gilding the Lilly a bit.

45 years old 6'1" and 175 lbs, healthy BP (used to be low but one of my meds raises it) low cholesterol and good blood sugar even when taken non-fasting.

#25 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2020-07-31 04:27 PM | Reply

and good blood sugar even when taken non-fasting.
#25 | POSTED BY TAOWARRIOR

Yeah, don't see diabetes in your future...at all.

My mother was diagnosed a few years back and took a hard line to your structure of diet. It's worked great for her, plenty of lost weight and her mood has improved. Granted, she retired right around the time she made these diet changes, so it was a combination of things. It's working for her.

#26 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2020-07-31 04:35 PM | Reply

I started eating that way back in high school when I ran cross country. Eating a big meal before or after running 8 miles is not a fantastic idea but with the running and weight lifting I needed close to 4K calories a day. Not being able to eat a big meal made that hard. Granted back then my small meals were around 3-400 calories and dinner was 1000. The style of eating stuck with me and as I get older I just reduce the calories of each meal.

Didn't know it was good for anti-diabetes but I'll take it.

#27 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2020-07-31 04:44 PM | Reply

Didn't know it was good for anti-diabetes but I'll take it.
#27 | POSTED BY TAOWARRIOR

I question when was the last time you had an insulin spike (the main cause of diabetes when experiencing numerous throughout the day for years on end) ever in your life.

It's my main concern with my current diet structure as I experience one giant insulin spike a day. You don't have to be fat to earn type-II diabetes.

#28 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2020-07-31 04:47 PM | Reply

That's why I had to stop eating breakfast. I would always, without fail, crash hard about 11. Like feeling good to shaking hands in ten minutes.

Now that I limit myself to a piece of fruit and a protein bar on the ride in to work I don't crash and don't feel lethargic after lunch. It's a much more steady energy level all day.

#29 | Posted by jpw at 2020-07-31 05:11 PM | Reply

Don't know only get my blood sugar tested once a year for my physical. However based on what JPW is describing in #29 I would say never, or at least not in recent memory. I've had people describe that to me before and always thought it was weird since it was something I am unfamiliar with. Never really considered that my eating schedule might be the reason.

Honestly I know jack squat about diet and nutrition like I said I eat this way because of necessity as a distance runner and once in the habit just never stopped. I have had people ask me before how I stay so skinny and I've told them what I do but I've also told them not to take dietary advice from me since I don't know what the heck I'm talking about.

I guess you really do learn something every day. Thanks.

#30 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2020-07-31 05:56 PM | Reply

Don't pay attention to caloric count. I'm the same weight +/- a few pounds as when I got out of boot camp in 76. They tried to fatten me up in boot, put me on double rations. I swear I was packing 5k plus calories per day. I was was miserable the first two weeks eating so much, then I started to get hungry between meals. They had the fat guys up front so the DI's could make sure they were eating salads and tuna fish, so we had half the time to eat twice as much. Wolf my food to this day. 63 with the same metabolism. Still sweat like a stuck pig when I eat. Never been on any medications.

#31 | Posted by willowby at 2020-07-31 10:25 PM | Reply

We're the richest country in the history of the world.

Republicans are always looking to slash slash slash while handing out more tax breaks to people who don't need them.

For the party of "Christian values," they need to brush up on what that means.

Starting with reading Matthew 25: 31-45.

And buying bottled water to take with them to Old Scratch's domain when they die.

#32 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2020-08-01 10:48 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1