Friday, July 31, 2020

We have a binary choice and neither of the two-party options excites me; exhaustion is the best I can muster. On the one hand, we have an elderly white man with a history of bizarre public behavior, who has been accused of sexual assault, whose platform and track record contain plenty of reasons to give progressive voters pause. On the other hand, we have President Trump.

Our country is in burning turmoil, and the White House is eagerly fanning the flames. If we are to have a shot at quenching them -" let alone beginning to repair the damage left behind -" we, the voting public, will have to play the two-party game to its conclusion in November. And that means rallying behind Joe Biden.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Many progressive voters I know have already decided to grit their teeth and back Biden; they don't need my persuading. But we cannot afford a repeat of 2016, when would-be Democratic voters chose to sit the election out or cast purely symbolic votes " protest, third-party, write-in " because they could not stomach the thought of voting for Hillary Clinton.

Comments

This pretty much says it all.

#1 | Posted by leftcoastlawyer at 2020-07-31 05:35 PM | Reply

The only thing that will stop them from voting for Joe is if he's institutionalized. As rapidly as he's declining, that's a distinct possibility.

#2 | Posted by willowby at 2020-07-31 06:21 PM | Reply

Should have thought about that before the DNC foisted Biden on us. Apparently the DNC hasn't learnt their lesson yet.

#3 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2020-07-31 08:01 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

" Should have thought about that before the DNC foisted Biden on us."

That was the american voter, not the dnc.

#4 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2020-07-31 08:07 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Biden is a good leader, patriot and decent person who will assemble a competent team to govern with him.
I am excited to see that happen next year.
Especially compared to the absolute dumpster fire of Traitor Trumps admin.

#5 | Posted by bored at 2020-07-31 11:43 PM | Reply

"The only thing that will stop them from voting for Joe is if he's institutionalized. "

What a fool believes...

I'd still vote for him even if he was in a coma.

Even unconscious Biden would be a better leader than Humpy the killer clown.

#6 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-08-01 11:18 AM | Reply

I don't think even Biden is excited Biden is running for President. But then it's hard to tell with Biden....

#7 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2020-08-01 12:35 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I'm not exited about Biden. I mean, how status quo can you get?

But Biden will at least consider all Americans, and not just his base. I think he'll be a fine POTUS. Not great, but fine.

And he'll probably forward policy that I don't like, and that's okay.

I can't wait to have a POTUS that I don't really like rather than a dangerous Russian tool that literally allowed 150,000+ Americans die because he thinks they didn't support him.

#8 | Posted by horstngraben at 2020-08-01 12:54 PM | Reply

#3 | POSTED BY LAURAMOHR

What lesson? That Bernie supporters are loud and obnoxious but too lazy to actually vote?

They did learn that lesson, which is why they're not catering to people who demand demand demand but can't get off their ass to earn it.

#9 | Posted by jpw at 2020-08-01 01:08 PM | Reply

Very few people are voting for dementia Joe, they're voting against Trump.

#10 | Posted by willowby at 2020-08-01 06:01 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Very few people are voting for dementia Joe, they're voting against Trump.

#10 | POSTED BY WILLOWBY AT 2020-08-01 06:01 PM | REPLY | FLAG:"

And that will do nicely.

#11 | Posted by Foreigner at 2020-08-01 06:20 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

They have to be excited for the VP pick. Even the far left here have to admit that Joe may be incoherent come election time.

#12 | Posted by willowby at 2020-08-01 06:38 PM | Reply

#12 - Given that your original point is that the majority of votes Biden will get are likely to be votes against Trump, what difference does it make who Biden selects as a running mate?

#13 | Posted by Foreigner at 2020-08-01 07:55 PM | Reply

Because the wrong pick could drive those votes back or just cause them to stay home.

#14 | Posted by leftcoastlawyer at 2020-08-01 08:18 PM | Reply

#14 - then they will not be votes against Trump, as contemplated in post #10.

#15 | Posted by Foreigner at 2020-08-01 09:33 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Very few people are voting for dementia Joe, they're voting against Trump.

#10 | POSTED BY WILLOWBY

Just stop saying this. Or else stop supporting Trump.

In the absence of either of those actions you look like a complete idiot.

#16 | Posted by jpw at 2020-08-02 12:59 AM | Reply

No necessarily, a poor VP pick could just keep those motivated to vote against Trump home since they can't stand to vote for Biden and that VP.

#17 | Posted by leftcoastlawyer at 2020-08-02 01:59 PM | Reply

#17 - I understand your point but with respect, I don't think you are understanding mine.

I am interpreting #10 to be an assertion that most of the votes Biden will get will be anti-Trump votes ( a view I don't agree with but that's another discussion ) and my original point was that I would be fine with that. By definition, a stay at home voter, or one who votes for someone other than Biden, is not covered by my interpretation, because they literally have not voted for Biden. Under these circumstances, the identity of the VP is moot.

You seem to be focused on the potential pool of voters existing now, which is fair enough but is not addressed in my comments.

#18 | Posted by Foreigner at 2020-08-02 04:46 PM | Reply

I do understand yours, but what you seem to be missing is that a poor VP pick could compel someone who right now is going to vote "against" Trump by voting for Biden to switch or stay home because they hate the VP pick. That would reduce the Anti-Trump vote, thereby harming Biden by reducing his vote totals.

#19 | Posted by leftcoastlawyer at 2020-08-02 05:44 PM | Reply

I am not sure I agree with the headline. If it were HRC v. Trump again I would not vote for either them be cause I do not live in a swing State and I think they both suck. If I felt Biden sucked as much as HRC I would not vote for him unless I was in a swing State.

#20 | Posted by moder8 at 2020-08-02 06:01 PM | Reply

#19 - my last comment on this since it's not worth any more effort.

You are referring to the potential pool of voters that exists now and how their vote could be affected by a VP selection. This is a fair point and I have no argument with it, but it is not my point.

I am referring ( in a somewhat tongue in cheek manner in my original comment ) to those who actually vote for Biden on voting day as a protest against Trump. This group, by registering an anti-Trump vote, clearly was not adversely affected by the VP selection. That is about all I have been seeking to communicate - not effectively apparently!

#21 | Posted by Foreigner at 2020-08-02 06:16 PM | Reply

Agreed, but this group, on that day, could be higher or lower based on the VP selection, which is why it matters even to the Anti-Trump voting bloc on Election Day.

#22 | Posted by leftcoastlawyer at 2020-08-02 06:36 PM | Reply

You don't have to be excited about Biden to vote for him

You don't have to be excited about Biden to vote for him

You don't have to be excited about Biden to vote for him

well, alrighty then!

#23 | Posted by AuntieSocial at 2020-08-03 05:56 AM | Reply

You don't have to be excited about Biden to vote for him

I'm sure there are media outlets saying the same with the other guy, with the rationale being the nomination of judges.

: "ignore the disasters and embarrassments caused by poor leadership, the courts are important."

#24 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2020-08-03 06:19 AM | Reply

I'll vote for Joe. But the Democrats sure fell short of putting forward their best candidate.

#25 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2020-08-03 11:16 AM | Reply