Tuesday, August 04, 2020

Donald Trump says the government should get a cut from the sale of TikTok's US unit if an American firm buys it.

Comments

Sounds like President Soprano.

#1 | Posted by REDIAL at 2020-08-04 10:33 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

... which nobody else would be thinking about but me ...

I suspect that is a valid statement.

... that's the way I think ...

Again, no disagreement, except for the "think" part.

... I think it's very fair ...

I do not agree.

I do not think the executive branch should be meddling in the details of legal transactions for the purpose of obtaining a cut of the transaction. Taxation should be in the domain of Congress, bribery should remain the domain of criminals.

More troublesome, however, since Pres Trump often seems to think of himself as the federal government (that L'Etat C'est Moi thing that he has going), is he expecting the bribery money he is demanding from the transaction to go to him or his campaign?

#2 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-08-04 10:49 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

Sounds socialistic to me.

#3 | Posted by Nixon at 2020-08-04 12:28 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

What an idiot.

#4 | Posted by DarkVader at 2020-08-04 11:47 PM | Reply

The irony of all that is Trump is mindboggling...

#5 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2020-08-05 12:36 AM | Reply

Yo, put the money in a plain paper bag, Jared will be by soon wearing a fake mustache to pick up the uh... donation.

#6 | Posted by 503jc69 at 2020-08-05 12:59 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

This is Trump practicing his autocratic presidency in a second term.

Mafia Don wants "a piece of the action."

#7 | Posted by Twinpac at 2020-08-05 03:19 AM | Reply

Tick tock has the Tall Man. Pyss on that stuff.
#outlaw/ban

#8 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2020-08-05 08:56 AM | Reply

Trumpy has such a deal for you TikTok!

But first. He needs a favor.

#9 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-08-05 11:12 AM | Reply

Tick tock has the Tall Man. Pyss on that stuff.
#outlaw/ban

#8 | POSTED BY PHESTEROBOYLE

So you are okay with the President's statement?

No standards for Phester when it comes to Trump. Who is surprised?

#10 | Posted by Sycophant at 2020-08-05 01:06 PM | Reply

Sounds socialistic to me.

#3 | Posted by Nixon at 2020-08-04 12:28 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

I beg to differ. This would seem to fall solidly in the definition of "Fascist". If it were socialistic, he'd be asking for the people to have ownership interest in the business, rather than the state getting a cut of the sale.

#11 | Posted by StatsPlease at 2020-08-05 05:55 PM | Reply