Thursday, August 06, 2020

A contact investigation by the state found that the infected man, 56, attended a service on June 14 and came into contact there with a wide range of people who later developed symptoms, including a 67-year-old woman and a 15-year-old girl - and those people then had contacts of their own. Within three weeks, the state found, 91 people from five counties had developed symptoms of Covid-19, probably stemming directly or indirectly from that one man's trip to church. "It spread like wildfire," (Gov.) DeWine said.

Comments

"attended a service on June 14"

Unless they made attendees sign a waiver like at Trump's "Sacrifice Herman Cain for the good of the economy" super-spreader event:

Sue the church for even being open.

Go get 'em, LeftCoastLawyer!

#1 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-08-06 03:26 PM | Reply

Don't worry.

They're covered in Jesus' blood.

Which unfortunately also contains trace amounts of Covid.

#2 | Posted by LostAngeles at 2020-08-06 03:49 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

God works in mysterious ways.

The mystery being why people would think it's a good idea to get together in large crowds during a pandemic of a highly contagious virus.

#3 | Posted by censored at 2020-08-06 04:16 PM | Reply

Well sure... but don't forget to tithe... suckers.

#4 | Posted by snuffy at 2020-08-06 04:17 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

It's just the natural result of an insane belief system.

That belief appears to be infect everyone with the virus and let Gawd sort it out.

#5 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-08-06 06:02 PM | Reply

Insane is a legal term, not a medical one.

Also, generalization is like saying that all dogs chase squirrels... or that all lab rats are incels.

#6 | Posted by Corky at 2020-08-06 06:18 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Corky, you don't need to defend religious wackos just because they pretend to have the same belief system as you.

#7 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-08-06 06:25 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Anyone still drinking the kool-aid, just does not give a damn.

The data is out there.

#8 | Posted by fresno500 at 2020-08-06 07:27 PM | Reply

Anyone else notice it's almost always an evangelical church this sort of thing happens to?

The rest are closed.

#9 | Posted by Tor at 2020-08-06 07:29 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

There seem to be more and more stories everyday about various parties and gatherings being a launching point for spreading coronavirus infections. And even those held outdoors with attendants taking precautions - distancing and wearing masks, though obviously not while they are eating and drinking - have become spreader events.

We'll just have to wait until this pandemic is over.

#10 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-08-06 07:38 PM | Reply

"I've been invited to a small outdoor gathering this weekend for a dear friend I haven't seen in 30 years, but I'm positive that I won't go."

Easy to say. Harder to do. Especially when it is family.

Family is the hardest to deal with. Especially if they don't think this pandemic is serious thanks to a Donald J Trump.

#11 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-08-06 07:53 PM | Reply

Seems to me that gawd had the good sense to stay home leaving his sheeple to fend for themselves.

#12 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2020-08-06 07:53 PM | Reply

#12 | POSTED BY RIGHTISTRITE

Yeah. That's only because Gawd is afraid of Joe Biden. Because old jokin joe can hurt Gawd! Dear Leader says so ... it must be so!

So Gawd is keeping His Distance. Or if Biden is unhappy He is so powerful He could send The Almighty to the Corn Field!

But, no worries! We have The Upside down Bible Man.

So it will be fine. Ok maybe not "fine" as 265,000 of you will have to die. So maybe not protect us but he will distract us. It will be an awesome distraction. The best ever. Tremendous.

Remember.

We are in a good place!

(And if you don't like it get in the van!)

#13 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-08-06 08:03 PM | Reply

We'll just have to wait until this pandemic is over.
#10 | POSTED BY TONYROMA AT 2020-08-06 07:38 PM

It will include people who have not seen each other in some time, the worse people to contract a variant from.

You might be better off with a box wine and hate watching Picard, or a strong indica and just check out Mr. Plinkett's review of season one.

#14 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2020-08-07 12:43 AM | Reply

Ahh...it's good to be an Atheist...
(leans back, arms folded above his head)...

#15 | Posted by earthmuse at 2020-08-07 05:44 AM | Reply

Tony I think I would call the organizer of the event and ask him/her what in the hell are they thinking? Then I think I would tell them that the only way I would attend is via Skipe. That person should be ashamed of themself. There is a Mormon temple near my home and Mormons are very conservative and right wing but they haven't had an in-person gathering since the very beginning of the pandemic so I just don't have much sympathy or respect for those who can't resist the urge to have in person gatherings of any kind. It's unnecessary an dangerous, and not just to the attendees, the virus will be spread to everyone those people have contact with after the event.

#16 | Posted by danni at 2020-08-07 08:34 AM | Reply

Evangelicals are supposed to be 'pro-life,' but they refuse to do their part to save other's lives by simply wearing a mask, social distancing, and not congregating in large groups.

Experts say that if 98% of Americans wore a mask we'd save 70,000 lives between now and December. But Trump voters are more concerned with their ---- 'right' not to wear a mask or follow simple suggestions that would save lives.

They've proven once again they aren't 'pro-life.' They're only 'pro-birth.'

#17 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2020-08-07 09:13 AM | Reply

#7 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

I've always wondered why he feels compelled to do so.

Especially when it's some loony evangelical church with spurious theological underpinnings.

#18 | Posted by jpw at 2020-08-07 09:19 AM | Reply

Danni said "so I just don't have much sympathy or respect for those who can't resist the urge to have in person gatherings of any kind." Does that mean you lost respect for Obama and all the others who attended the funeral of John Lewis? or those who attended the 3 funerals for George Floyd? What about all the protest going on, aren't those in person gatherings? I have not seen you say anything about those people. You don't need to try to defend these gatherings because I see no problems with the funerals, I am just pointing out your hypocrisy. You are so quick to attack some gatherings, but you give passes to others, but read what you said.

#19 | Posted by phinphan at 2020-08-07 09:50 AM | Reply

You don't need to try to defend these gatherings because I see no problems with the funerals, I am just pointing out your hypocrisy speaking because I think I have something profound to say.

Still no evidence of increased spread from protests, no matter how much that inane talking point is repeated.

#20 | Posted by jpw at 2020-08-07 10:10 AM | Reply

You mean the one where the people all wore masks?
Where they generally maintained distance between different groups?
Unlike all these other gatherings?
storage.googleapis.com
Sure, there are some sites that have more crowded looking shots, which can be accomplished by shooting lower, using a zoom/telephotot lens, or as some unscrupulous have done, using photoshop. The image above is from the AP when Obama was speaking. That's when the funeral was the most crowded. This one's from CNN. I'd recommend you actually look at it. See the distance between the people in the pews:
cdn.cnn.com

Not to mention you're using the same argument those idiots that equate the mask wearing protests with indoor trump rallies with no masks absolutely no distancing, where Trump's people removed signs so people would be stacked right on top of each other for those all important (over people's lives) photo shots.

Here's a nice quick guide on perspective, telephoto lenses, and how it can distort the perception of what's really going on with crowds:
vitals.lifehacker.com

#21 | Posted by YAV at 2020-08-07 10:17 AM | Reply

Maybe you people need to learn to read instead of just saying the same thing over and over. My point was about the hypocrisy of Danni, she say (read carefully)-'so I just don't have much sympathy or respect for those who can't resist the urge to have in person gatherings of any kind" See the words ANY KIND. Just wondering if she will attack those gatherings also. People can protest, go to a funeral, go to church, go to Home Depot, and all that stuff and avoid them if you wish.

#22 | Posted by phinphan at 2020-08-07 10:23 AM | Reply

#7 | POSTED BY SNOOFY
I've always wondered why he feels compelled to do so.
#18 | POSTED BY JPW AT 2020-08-07 09:19 AM

It's interesting how we acknowledge one another as thoughtful, intelligent and loving until you are describing their religions impact.

#23 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2020-08-07 10:33 AM | Reply

#23 | POSTED BY REDLIGHTROBOT

As a non-believer I don't like how much influence and power certain sects of Christianity have, especially since they're sects with really far out there beliefs as well.

#24 | Posted by jpw at 2020-08-07 10:37 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Praise the Lord and pass the Amantadine.

#25 | Posted by madscientist at 2020-08-07 01:21 PM | Reply

they're sects with really far out there beliefs as well.

#24 | POSTED BY JPW

Most religious thought when taken to their logical conclusions look a lot like insanity. Evangelicals are one of the worst when it comes to promoting Fantasyland in America.

See the book, Fantasyland, A 500 year history of how America went haywire.

#26 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-08-07 01:47 PM | Reply

- why he feels compelled to do so.

I keep pointing out that generalizations that all of any particular group are not necessarily the same because A) statements are often made pretending that they are and B) most of you heathen commies thought they were until I got here... lmao!

#27 | Posted by Corky at 2020-08-07 03:24 PM | Reply

As far as Evangelicals go, there isn't a church in America that skewers them as much as the one I belong to does.

- Most religious thought

There you go again.

I suggest you read what other more consistently intellectual atheists and agnostics think of such nonsense. Here's another chance now...

www.newstatesman.com

#28 | Posted by Corky at 2020-08-07 03:29 PM | Reply

Logical conclusions as defined by a Critic with nothing better to do.

#29 | Posted by Tor at 2020-08-07 04:02 PM | Reply

These people are likely to view Covid-19 as a divine judgement for a sinful world. Couple that view with a belief they are somehow special children under divine protection through faith in christ and it's easy to see why they'd act out a childish defiance to sound scientific medical advice.

God is the virus.