Saturday, August 08, 2020

All good art is political, said the writer Toni Morrison, but that is perhaps more true when the art is produced by a former president. Immigration is the political issue at heart in a forthcoming book of portraits by George W Bush.

Comments

I wish he'd found his life's work sooner.

#1 | Posted by Zed at 2020-08-07 04:52 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 5

dead Iraqi immigrant babies covered in warmongering oil profits?

might be interesting...

#2 | Posted by AuntieSocial at 2020-08-07 04:59 PM | Reply

Despite the havoc he, and more likely Cheney, poured onto the Middle East and his atrocious domestic economic policy, I have to defend Bush in two big issues. Nobody on the face of the Earth ever did more to reduce AIDS in Africa and here. You can't say he never helped Black people. It's not true. Also in an era of bigotry, nobody did more to help immigrants from an executive level. Mostly by blocking all of the stuff you see Trump enabling.

Now for Arab people... He's pretty much Hitler.

#3 | Posted by bocaink at 2020-08-07 10:44 PM | Reply

Attila the Hun never killed no black people.
No, not one.

#4 | Posted by pumpkinhead at 2020-08-07 11:17 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

1,000,000 dead Iraqis. I don't care what GEorge W. Bush does, I certainly will not bother myself with his art. He is a mass murderer who should be in prison.

#5 | Posted by danni at 2020-08-08 11:53 AM | Reply

While I recognize that immigration can be an emotional issue, I reject the premise that it is a partisan issue.

Sorry George.

The party you once belonged to vehemently disagrees with you.

They hate Black and Brown people with a passion.

#6 | Posted by ClownShack at 2020-08-08 11:56 AM | Reply

If you're ever in Dallas, you really should stop at the Bush Presidential Library, if for no other reason than to see the portrait gallery where George W's paintings are on display. They really are quite good and have a particular style that seems very appropriate for the subjects that he has chosen to paint portraits of.

OCU

#7 | Posted by OCUser at 2020-08-08 12:02 PM | Reply

I couldn't care less if the paintings by Bush are good or bad. The 1,000,000 dead Iraqis make the display obscene no matter if they are good or bad. He is obscene. There is no excuse for people like him to still live in this world. I repeat: 1,000,000 dead. What else is there to say about that piece of filth.

#8 | Posted by danni at 2020-08-08 03:57 PM | Reply

If I was going to summarize Bush's presidency I would go with this as a metaphor:

youtu.be