Friday, August 07, 2020

Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler on Thursday urged non-violent protesters to either avoid city gatherings where violence is likely to occur, intervene if they see it or risk being used as a "prop" in national advertisements to aid President Donald Trump's re-election campaign.

Comments

"The fire in front of the Portland Police east precinct building was largely contained to the metal garbage"

Bums do this all the time and nobody says it's arson or attempted mass murder.

#1 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-08-07 11:36 PM | Reply

Don't expect the protesters here to be scared by police threats or over-reactions.... I think they enjoy the jousting with authority. With the pandemic limiting options for entertainment
.. this will probably go on until the rainy season starts.

#2 | Posted by 503jc69 at 2020-08-08 03:28 AM | Reply

If portlanders think the police have been bad in the past imagine what it would be like if the mayor gives the police carte blanche to end the riots.

#3 | Posted by Tor at 2020-08-08 03:00 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Agreed, and my concern remains that if the Portland PD and Oregon State Police can't stop the violence then the Feds will use that as justification to come out of the courthouse and take matters into their own hands.

#4 | Posted by leftcoastlawyer at 2020-08-08 03:28 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Violent demonstrators in Portland? I've been told for weeks and weeks and weeks there's no violence in Portland. What the hell is he talking about?

#5 | Posted by Homerj at 2020-08-08 04:33 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The protesters in Portland are pretty much playing into Trump's hands.

It'd be better off with a massive drum circle and lots of weed but instead they are attempting to set fire to buildings with people inside and attacking statue of elk and George Washington.

#6 | Posted by Tor at 2020-08-08 06:02 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Wheeler, we've already been involved for decades. The city is advancing toward democracy and you think it's an optics problem.

#7 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2020-08-09 01:50 PM | Reply

The feds are only allowed to defend federal property... I'm afraid if the cops/feds escalate then the fires might star all over town.... lots of targets.

I wish they could grab anybody causing any destruction in my city... I love it hear and don't want it burnt down.... but you can't send federal troops without rewriting the constitution.

#8 | Posted by 503jc69 at 2020-08-09 08:30 PM | Reply

#8 | POSTED BY 503JC69 AT 2020-08-09 08:30 PM

I hear you. I'm deaf in my left ear and can't tell from where things are coming or going let alone running at you with pepper spray and batons.

That said, you are seeing the beginnings of citizens mitigate violent protest because police, like a Romulan disruptor, doesn't have a "stun" setting.

#9 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2020-08-10 02:01 AM | Reply