Saturday, August 08, 2020

AAA conclusions after testing vehicles with self-driving features: In the closed-course environment, all test vehicles evaluated in this context impacted a simulated disabled vehicle at least once when evaluated at 30 mph. Among test vehicles, the highest average detection/notification TTC was approximately two seconds. In a real-world situation where a driver is disengaged from the driving task for a significant duration, he/she may be unaware of an upcoming critical situation. In this scenario, it is unlikely a notification provided two seconds prior to an
impending collision will provide enough time for the driver to avoid impact if the system does not
adequately intervene. During naturalistic evaluations, an adverse event was observed on average, once every 8 miles. As highway speeds typically exceed 60 mph, an unexpected lane departure that occurs in combination
with a disengaged driver is potentially hazardous for two main reasons. First, a driver simply may not
have time to avoid a potential collision either with a vehicle alongside or a stationary object on the side
of the roadway. Additionally, a driver may be taken by surprise when regaining situational awareness
and consequently overcorrect, potentially resulting in loss of vehicle control.

Comments

... all test vehicles evaluated in this context impacted a simulated disabled vehicle at least once when evaluated at 30 mph ...

Scary stuff for those who have to change a tire on the side of a road....

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-08-08 09:01 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

And we are supposed to trust them to develop self driving vehicles when their collision detection systems are garbage. Our car certainly doesn't alert you soon enough if there is going to in incident and it definitely does not apply the brakes quick enough. At other times it is beeping at you for no reason...

#2 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2020-08-09 12:45 AM | Reply

People need to get off their phones and drive their cares. The worst think possible is self driving cars. No, if you want to have a car then wake the F up and drive it, and pay attention while you are doing it or else take a bus or a taxi. I truly am so angry when I am behind some a******e texting while he/she is going 15 miles per hour. Or weaving in an out of their lane. Cars should have automatic features that prevent texting while the car is moving. And I can be honest here, texting while driving is not a sin I commit, ever. I'm not perfect in so many ways but that one sin is one I am not guilty of, many others though, I probably am. I honestly do think that anyone who texts while driving should be taken out and beaten. It probably pisses me off more than almost anything else because....it kills innocent people. There is simply no excuse for it.

#3 | Posted by danni at 2020-08-09 09:25 AM | Reply

"And I can be honest here, texting while driving is not a sin I commit, ever."

I wish I could say the same. I applaud you Danni, sincerely.

#4 | Posted by eberly at 2020-08-09 09:39 AM | Reply

Thanks Eberly. I have consciously been the most responsible I could be for about 20 years because I realized that a moment of irresponsibility could kill someone and I just don't think I could bear the guilt that would cause. So, I'm actually just trying to protect myself from guilt that I never want to deserve.

#5 | Posted by danni at 2020-08-09 09:47 AM | Reply

I agree with you.

I also am guilty of multi-tasking while driving (including texting). When you drive 6 hours a day for work there will be times that things need to be handled and pulling off is not an option. If I am on residential streets or heavy traffic I won't but as much as I travel if I didn't multi-task I would accomplish nothing.

If texting and driving were not as tolerated as it is now however I could seriously cut back on how often I have to do it as people would accept delays in responses. Now though I have had the same customer text me 3 times in 10 min when I didn't get back to them. When I finally got to a place I could respond my first text was sorry for the delay I was driving and their response was I needed an answer 5 min ago it's too late now.

#6 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2020-08-09 09:55 AM | Reply

"I honestly do think that anyone who texts while driving should be taken out and beaten. "

I will hold them for you.

If you have the tech to text you have the tech to talk.

Siri will send a hands free text.

#7 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-08-09 10:43 AM | Reply

Dogs even know not to chase parked cars. Sheese.

#8 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-08-09 11:00 AM | Reply

I will hold them for you.

#7 | POSTED BY DONNERBOY AT 2020-08-09 10:43 AM | FLAG:

Didn't you post about buying a Tesla and letting it drive you while you slept? lol

#9 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2020-08-09 11:01 AM | Reply

Hands free is only the illusion of better. Distracted is distracted.

#10 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2020-08-09 11:03 AM | Reply

Hands free is only the illusion of better. Distracted is distracted.

#10 | POSTED BY TAOWARRIOR

Bull.

You don't talk in your car? If talking was distracting I be dead a thousand times. I have 5 children. Who used to be babies. Who used to be teenagers.

I am sorry. Talking in your car is too distracting?

Apologies to retarded but that is just retarded.

#11 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-08-09 11:17 AM | Reply

Talking in your car is too distracting?

I was once a passenger while the girl driving rear ended the person in front of them at 20mph while she attempted to change the radio station... she was tired of Justin Bieber being in the Top 100 radio rotation playlist.

*resists the urge to stereotype women drivers*

#12 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2020-08-09 11:23 AM | Reply

Dumb drivers will find a way to wreck someone's day.
Texting, Text to speech, speakerphone calls, attempting to change radio stations via steering wheel controls, daydreaming, or not using turn signals..

Tech for driver assistance would be a net positive when it develops into a stable state.

#13 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2020-08-09 11:26 AM | Reply

Kind of my point about talk to text apps. Stupidity will find a way. Like I said I drive around 6 hours a day, last week I clocked over 700 miles and that is pretty much normal for me. Idiot drivers abound, not all of them are texting but every one of them is dangerous in one way or another.

#14 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2020-08-09 11:37 AM | Reply

"So you text using siri, do you just tell siri what to send and go with whatever she interprets it as or do you read it first, edit it etc.? If you do anything other than just send it's just as distracting as actually typing the text, if you just send then you are sending a whole bunch of nonsense texts which for friends and family is fine but for business is not really acceptable."

Siri reads it back to me. I correct it. Life is good. It's not rocket science.

It worked fine for my "business". When I did business. If it was a critical message and misunderstandings critical or costly just pull over for a minute and finish it and move on if necessary When I was in the "rat race" I remember when time was money. So I get it. But the tech is there. It's been there a while now.

Until you take the human completely out of the equation there will always be accidents. Even a computer controlled car will not be perfectly safe. Life is not safe. Nature is a serial killer. And even computers screw up. Because life has an infinite number of variables to account for.

Good luck out there in the Hunger Games. And nay the odds forever be in your favor!

#15 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-08-09 11:57 AM | Reply

Siri said "nay!" Good thing I am not driving. So I can correct that.

#16 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-08-09 11:58 AM | Reply

If you just send then you are sending a whole bunch of nonsense texts which for friends and family is fine but for business is not really acceptable.

My grandmother sends multiple paragraph text messages via speech to text, and it is great. 100x better than letters, and more frequent connectivity than an occasional phone call. Sometimes the translation makes you wonder whether grandma is all sauced up though lol.

#17 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2020-08-09 12:11 PM | Reply

"I was once a passenger while the girl driving"

What?
Why was the girl driving?
Were you sick, and she was driving you to the hospital?

#18 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-08-09 02:15 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Well then, that would be a "small" problem wouldn't it.

#19 | Posted by fresno500 at 2020-08-09 10:30 PM | Reply

Well then, that would be a "small" problem wouldn't it.

#19 | POSTED BY FRESNO500 AT 2020-08-09 10:30 PM | FLAG:

The industry term is "edge case".

Hit a garage wall, edge case.
Hit a yellow curb because the angle of the sun at that particular time of day and year led the neural net to curb your rims, edge case.
Hit a stopped fire truck in the middle of a highway, edge case.

Given enough data, theoretically all edge cases can be solved by a neural net using exclusively machine vision from camera arrays and short range ultrasonic sonar. LIDAR approaches are doing a bit better with it, but it's a lot more expensive.

#20 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2020-08-10 05:06 PM | Reply

I should say hypothesis, not theory. Tesla is trying the camera based approach. Waymo is going the LIDAR route. Disengagement rates are pretty high though and Level 5 FSD is a long way off.

#21 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2020-08-10 05:09 PM | Reply