Thursday, August 13, 2020

Uber and Lyft warned they might temporarily shut down their services in California in response to a court ruling forcing them to start treating drivers in the state as employees.

Comments

I know that here in San Francisco, a lot of people are panicking about the prospect of no Uber or Lyft, since parking can reach $70/day in the City.

The Taxi medallion holders ordinarily would be ecstatic over anything that hits Uber/Lyft but they too are subject to AB 5.

#1 | Posted by leftcoastlawyer at 2020-08-12 10:01 PM | Reply

Dumb. Leave those companies alone.

#2 | Posted by eberly at 2020-08-12 11:31 PM | Reply

Sounds like a Trump plot to attack kamaltoe.
Or to make people believe that sleepy rumpled her hairdo.
Either way, it's Trump's fault.
~the flailing left

#3 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2020-08-13 08:16 AM | Reply

My employer has to match SS taxes and withhold income taxes so I don't get a big bill at the end of the year. There is not honest reason to not consider Uber and Lyft drivers as employees. In other places in the world nations are saying enough of the free ride for Uber and Lyft. So, you'll have to pay a little more for a ride, well when you shop with the company I work for you pay a little more because the employer has actual employees. Uber and Lyft are creating a business model which could destroy our society if we allow it to stand and grow.

#4 | Posted by danni at 2020-08-13 08:28 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The Trump plan is to prevent Republican Governors from making mask mandates and then on election day creating a very unsafe environment for voters. It's a new voter suppression technique which Republicans are famous for. Get it through your heads Americans, Republicans don't want you to vote, not even by mail. That is why they are determined to destroy our post office. Republicans are evil and their party needs to be destroyed, I am slightly hopeful that Biden/Harris may be able to do that because Trump/Pence is so completely inept that most voters won't be able to bring themselves to vote for that pieces of filth.

#5 | Posted by danni at 2020-08-13 08:31 AM | Reply

I wonder how this applies to Fiverr.

#6 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2020-08-13 08:55 AM | Reply

Good! Dust off those mothballed taxis!

#7 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2020-08-13 11:18 AM | Reply

Dumb. Leave those companies alone.

#2 | POSTED BY EBERLY

Teachers! Leave those kids alone! They don't need no education.

Californians. Leave those workers alone!

They don't need no stinkin healthcare!

That's what Obamacare is for!

Also. While we are at it. We don't need no National weather service. That's what the weather channel is for!

Come on man!

PS.

(better get some if that yummy Obamacare before Republicans destroy it and it's all gone!)

#8 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-08-13 02:10 PM | Reply

Either way, it's Trump's fault.
~the flailing left

#3 | POSTED BY PHESTEROBOYLE

You misspelled Trumpy. As in it's Trumpy's fault.

#9 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-08-13 02:11 PM | Reply

"My employer has to match SS taxes and withhold income taxes so I don't get a big bill at the end of the year."

Lyft and Uber aren't really employers. They provide a service in connecting drivers with people in need of a ride.

I don't even know how it would work. Many Uber drivers also drive for Lyft. And they work only when they choose to. And even when they do choose to, they can only earn an income when there is someone in need of a ride.

#10 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-08-13 02:19 PM | Reply

"Good! Dust off those mothballed taxis!"

In my experience, tax services in the US are technological relics. The only place in the US I've been effectively able to use an app with taxis is Las Vegas. I've done it in Rome and Paris, as well. But in the US, my experience with calling a cab is I get stuck with a beat up old cab that reeks of cigarette smoke. I once had an Uber ride from DFW down to Arlington in a full size Mercedes SUV. True story.

#11 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-08-13 02:24 PM | Reply

"But if CA doesn't want Uber or Lyft, I say it's certainly within their rights to pass legislation that would drive those companies away."

They'll leave if it's in their interest to do so.

But if they reclassify these folks as employees, start paying their half of the FICA....no big deal.

But if you think these companies are going to just eat the expense, you're nuts.

They'll re-adjust compensation to put that burden back on the "employee".

In the end....it will still be the same pockets funding the SS.

#12 | Posted by eberly at 2020-08-13 02:31 PM | Reply

Good! Dust off those mothballed taxis!

#7 | POSTED BY WHATSLEFT AT 2020-08-13 11:18 AM

Taxis are also subject to AB 5 and are in a worse position than Uber and Lyft.

#13 | Posted by leftcoastlawyer at 2020-08-13 02:37 PM | Reply

#10 | POSTED BY MADBOMBER

Is there any model where CA could view people giving rides to other people as independent contractors? Would it require everyone to have their own app? Or is there some practical way of cutting out the middle man? I'm just wondering, with Venmo and all, that there couldn't be a ride sharing service that truly cuts out the middle man.

#14 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2020-08-13 03:26 PM | Reply

#15 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-08-13 03:47 PM | Reply

"Meanwhile, the 1099s delivering food in their own cars are the keeping the restaurants on life support...
#15 | POSTED BY SNOOFY"

They are getting paid and are thankful for the business.

#16 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2020-08-14 04:02 AM | Reply

"Is there any model where CA could view people giving rides to other people as independent contractors?"

There are two I know of. Uber and Lyft.

"I'm just wondering, with Venmo and all, that there couldn't be a ride sharing service that truly cuts out the middle man."

I don't see that as being practical. You would need an app that was widespread enough that it many people new about it, which would require advertising, which would require money, which would require the app developers to take at least a portion of the cost of the trip. Maybe if the app developers were part of a not for profit?

#17 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-08-14 08:56 AM | Reply