Thursday, August 13, 2020

RZA and Good Humor--the brand of ice cream known for strawberry shortcake bars and vanilla king cones--have teamed up to create a new ice cream truck jingle since the current popular jingle that most trucks use has a bigoted history. The new melody will be available to all ice cream truck drivers in America forever--and for free. The new song will also be included as an industry-standard in ice cream truck music boxes.

Comments

Hahah, that's so different from anything he's done before. And it's a memorable jingle!

#1 | Posted by hamburglar at 2020-08-13 09:24 PM | Reply

Per wikipedia "Turkey in the Straw" was initially a popular tune for fiddle players as early as 1820. In the late 1870s until the 1930s, "Turkey in the Straw" was performed in minstrel shows by blackface actors and musicians.

i.e. it went about half a century before anyone dirtied it so and it hasn't been associated with such crap acts for over half a century either and the black community doesn't really seem to have a problem with it.

www.youtube.com

FTR I like the music in my vid and the new tune sounds nice too.

#2 | Posted by Tor at 2020-08-13 10:27 PM | Reply

More background on the racist history of the song:

www.npr.org

#3 | Posted by hamburglar at 2020-08-13 10:47 PM | Reply

So Canadians and Australians and Brits and the Irish have to suffer loss of heritage because the Americans had to take our culture and pervert it for their racist cause. Shameful, reparations should be paid.

#4 | Posted by Scotty at 2020-08-13 10:47 PM | Reply | Funny: 2 | Newsworthy 1

Wow.
That sent me down one link after another, reading, fascinated by what I found, and surprised. For the record I like the new tune much better and I'm all for replacing the old.

Going through a series of NPR links, the lyrics that were substituted for hte "turkey in the straw" song in minstrel shows, and more (thanks Hamburgler) it was pretty eye-opening. I came across this:

"Some asserted that ice cream trucks simply wouldn't play music with roots in racism or argued that there isn't enough proof to tie blackface songs to ice cream parlors. Yet the trucks routinely play tunes such as "Camptown Races," "Oh! Susanna," "Jimmy Crack Corn" and "Dixie," all of which are blackface minstrel songs."

And then realized I grew up being taught all these songs, singing them in School and Boy Scouts. This is an indoctrination inherient when White teachers in the South perpetuate what they learned, all without ever stopping and examining just what is right in front of them. Same with me. Thankfully I've been forced to step back and take a look. I think I'm a better person for it.

So in that I absolutely applaud Good Humor for contacting RZA for this project, and for what RZA came up with. Something pure, unsoiled and happy.

#5 | Posted by YAV at 2020-08-13 11:08 PM | Reply

As long as I don't have to hear that damn "Mr. Softie" jingle. And always at full volume.

#6 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2020-08-14 07:15 AM | Reply

Wu Tang is for the children

#7 | Posted by hamburglar at 2020-08-14 10:24 AM | Reply

It sounds like the intro for a psycho killer movie. And no ice-cream for Yav.

#8 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2020-08-14 07:42 PM | Reply