Tuesday, September 08, 2020

Zeke Emanuel has a message for jittery Americans ahead of a momentous election: Voting in person during the coronavirus pandemic is about as safe as going to the grocery store

Comments

In-person voting is no more risky than going to the grocery store, Emanuel argues, as long as certain safeguards are in place, the same measures many Americans have become accustomed to since the spring: Wear a mask and line up at least six feet apart. Voting locations should have plexiglass barriers separating poll workers from voters, as well as disinfectant to wipe down commonly used surfaces and objects. (In the risk-assessment chart"which Emanuel created with James P. Phillips, the chief of disaster medicine at George Washington University, and Saskia Popescu, an epidemiologist at the University of Arizona"voting would also go in the same low-medium risk category as playing golf or tennis.)

#1 | Posted by et_al at 2020-09-08 03:37 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

Question is why should they have to vote in person? One can get groceries curbside delivered.

There is very little chance of getting Covid my mail, more chance than that voting in person.

And the "as long as there are certain safeguards in place" does not apply in many areas of this country.

#2 | Posted by Corky at 2020-09-08 04:26 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 5

Of course, but with obvious and very big IFs.

#3 | Posted by jpw at 2020-09-08 04:26 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Talk about a complete disregard for reality. No thank you.

Unlike voting described in another The Atlantic article, people don't spend seven hours shopping.

I can only imagine the sheer joy of standing in line next to some mouth-breathing, no-mask-wearing, Trump BS licking, slob or using the voting booth after they maliciously cough or sneeze to show us how they're trying to Make America Great Again.

What, you don't think a Trump sycophant would cough or sneeze to intimidate non-MAGATs into vacating a polling site? Then you haven't been paying attention to the fools who support Trump. The type of people who are so fragile that they tear down mask displays at Target because it offends their ego.

#4 | Posted by censored at 2020-09-08 04:45 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 5

My parents don't grocery shop, they have their groceries delivered...like their mail.

#5 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2020-09-08 05:05 PM | Reply

Voting is a right.Voting by mail is a right.Voting should be easy. If you have to risk your health to vote and you are genuinely at risk,denying mail in ballots is disenfranchisement. This is a crime.

Stand up for your rights. Don't let the republicans
Get away with it.

#6 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-09-08 05:48 PM | Reply

I go out and shop, and try to set myself up for a few weeks but am careful not to hoard.

I have never seen (or heard of) ~60% of my community members shopping in the same store on the the same day. I think it's safe to say that this is not anecdotal.

#7 | Posted by horstngraben at 2020-09-08 05:57 PM | Reply

I work from home and get groceries from Walmart no contact pickup, and dont go out protesting. I will be voting early in person since I will not be going to the polling place which is crowded in a normal year. I voted by mail in the primary but I believe there will be push back to the absentee ballots in the general and want to ensure my vote is counted. I know that here in Idaho it doesnt matter since our EC votes go to team red anyway, but I want my voice to be there.

#8 | Posted by justagirl_idaho at 2020-09-08 05:57 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#1 | POSTED BY ET_AL

How can that be true when you play golf and tennis outside?

Are the polls going to be outside? If not, why not?

"Asked about President Trump's upcoming rally in Tulsa, Okla., Dr. Anthony Fauci tells the Daily Beast that 'outside is better than inside...'"
www.nationalreview.com

#9 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2020-09-08 06:02 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

@#3 ... Of course, but with obvious and very big IFs. ...

Worth repeating.

Of course, but with obvious and very big IFs.

If the polling place can assure proper social distancing at all times and in all places.

If the polling places provides special times for senior citizens and others in the high risk category.

If the polling place can assure cleanliness of each polling booth for each voter.

That's three IFs off the top of my mind at the moment.

#10 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-09-08 09:59 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Luckily for my family, we live in Oregon where mail in voting has worked great since 1998.
Good luck to those who have to choose between possible virus exposure or getting to vote.

#11 | Posted by 503jc69 at 2020-09-08 10:25 PM | Reply

Many more people shop at Walmart than vote. There is early voting, yes, absentee voting, and 12 hours to vote in person. This old guy has no trouble doing shopping or voting.

#12 | Posted by jdmeth at 2020-09-08 10:28 PM | Reply

@#11 ... we live in Oregon where mail in voting has worked great since 1998. ...

That is what has perplexed me about the whole vote-by-mail discussion.

It works. Oregon has shown it works.

Yet Pres Trump, for his political re-election purposes, seems to want to proffer that it does not work.

Why would the President of the United States want to make it more difficult, or risky, for people to vote?

Why?

Why??

#13 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-09-08 10:30 PM | Reply

@#12 ... Many more people shop at Walmart than vote. ...

Got a link for that?

#14 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-09-08 10:36 PM | Reply

Tell me if you agree or disagree.

#15 | Posted by drivelikejehu at 2020-09-09 12:37 AM | Reply

"I care more about integrity and honesty in this election than I care about who wins. Tell me if you agree or disagree."

First, let me calibrate my truth-o-meter: Do you believe there is rampant voter fraud in America?

#16 | Posted by Danforth at 2020-09-09 12:44 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

@#15 ... I care more about integrity and honesty in this election than I care about who wins. ...

Really?

...Give the election to the GOP. Pot produces losers....

#17 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-09-09 12:45 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Tell me if you agree or disagree.

#15 | POSTED BY DRIVELIKEJEHU"

I agree. This clown who fraudulently usurps the name of the great Republican Senator, Jack Danforth, clearly does not - the ends justify the means just so long as Democrats benefit with this guy.

#18 | Posted by zetaleph at 2020-09-09 01:17 AM | Reply

"usurps the name of the great Republican Senator, Jack Danforth"

Read Danforth's NYTimes op-ed, idiot. Jack Danforth would be a Never Trumper.

"the ends justify the means just so long as Democrats benefit with this guy."

You're a moron. I've voted for Jack Danforth. For the record, I'm also a huge fan of Jon Huntsman. You're just butt-hurt after getting called out for lying about John Bolton.

#19 | Posted by Danforth at 2020-09-09 01:21 AM | Reply

But feel free to answer my question, just to see how far you'll lie:

Do you believe voter fraud is rampant in America?

#20 | Posted by Danforth at 2020-09-09 01:22 AM | Reply

#19 I absolutely told the truth about Bolton.

You are the one who is lying. You lie constantly.

Woo hoo! You'd vote for Huntsman. When was the last time he actually ran for any office in anything other than a perfunctory sense?

So, I typed "John Bolton denies" into Google and this is the first 5 things that popped up:

John Bolton denies claim that Trump called fallen soldiers ...nypost.com 2020/09/08 john-bolton-denies-claim-t...
19 hours ago - Former National Security Adviser John Bolton reiterated his skepticism over a report alleging that President Trump disparaged America's war ...

John Bolton denies claim Trump disparaged fallen American ...www.foxnews.com media john-bolton-denies-atlantic-...
1 day ago - Trump denies claim he made disparaging remarks; 'The Room Where It Happened' author John Bolton reacts. Former national security adviser ...

John Bolton denies 'simply false' reports that Donald Trump ...www.dailymail.co.uk news article-8709091 John-...
20 hours ago - John Bolton denied claims Trump disparaged fallen American soldiers in France; He dismissed the claims as 'simply false' during an ...

John Bolton says he didn't hear Trump insult fallen soldiers in ...thehill.com homenews administration 515132-joh...
5 days ago - Bolton's remarks came after Trump himself denied any allegations of disrespectful comments toward American soldiers killed in action, which ...

#21 | Posted by zetaleph at 2020-09-09 01:49 AM | Reply

Sorry - First FOUR things that popped up.

#22 | Posted by zetaleph at 2020-09-09 01:49 AM | Reply

Are you going to own up to your lies, "Danforth"?

#23 | Posted by zetaleph at 2020-09-09 01:50 AM | Reply

"Do you believe voter fraud is rampant in America?

#20 | POSTED BY DANFORTH AT 2020-09-09 01:22 AM"

Way to move the goalposts.

Mail-in voting has far more opportunities for fraud than in-person voting.

There is no need to completely revamp the vote process in every single state due to Covid.

With basic precautions in-person voting can be safe.

#24 | Posted by zetaleph at 2020-09-09 01:54 AM | Reply

"Danforth"

Real simple question - can you provide any evidence that Bolton heard anything remotely resembling the allegations by these 4 "anonymous" sources? Does he back up those allegations in any way?

#25 | Posted by zetaleph at 2020-09-09 01:57 AM | Reply

"I absolutely told the truth about Bolton."

You missed the quote from Bolton I posted, liar. The Hill reported it as well: ""I'm not saying he didn't say them later in the day or another time"

"You are the one who is lying. You lie constantly."

Projection or confession? That's all you morons have left.

#26 | Posted by Danforth at 2020-09-09 01:57 AM | Reply

"can you provide any evidence that Bolton heard anything"

No, but I found Bolton undermining your claim. Bolton.

But it's a cute pretense: if Bolton didn't hear it, it couldn't have happened. Moronic.

#27 | Posted by Danforth at 2020-09-09 01:59 AM | Reply

"Mail-in voting has far more opportunities for fraud than in-person voting. "

Then you should be able to show fraud in Oregon, and the military, both of whom have had mail-in systems for decades. But tou can't, you never could, and you lost this same debate last time for the same reasons.

Either produce actual evidence of fraud, or shove it.

#28 | Posted by Danforth at 2020-09-09 02:01 AM | Reply

"With basic precautions in-person voting can be safe."

Let's see if you can do Actual Math, instead of Republican Math:

I'm betting you're a macro moron.

#29 | Posted by Danforth at 2020-09-09 02:03 AM | Reply

Of course it "could have happened."

Yet, 13 (and counting) people are claiming they never heard any such thing while on that trip. This trip occurred 2 years ago, yet this is the first we are hearing of these specific claims. Trump was pilloried at the time for skipping the event even though it was determined that the flight was cancelled due to weather AND that he went the next day.

""I'm not saying he didn't say them later in the day or another time""

Which tells us nothing. Bolton leaves open the possibility that Trump might have said those things BUT HE DIDN'T ACTUALLY WITNESS TRUMP SAYING THOSE THINGS.

You claim to be a fan of Jack Danforth and from what I've personally witnessed you have only said positive things about him. But you could have called him a crotch-stain when I wasn't looking, so I can't rule that out.

That is what you are running with. Holy crap is that pathetic.

#30 | Posted by zetaleph at 2020-09-09 02:06 AM | Reply

Either produce actual evidence of fraud, or shove it.

#28 | POSTED BY "DANFORTH"

We've discussed this recently and I'm not interested in a circular discussion. Certain states (6, by my count) have carefully crafted mail-in procedures and protocols that took time and careful planning to implement. Doing it on the fly with just a couple of months before the election is a recipe for fraud and incompetence, which is pretty obviously what you want because you think fraud and incompetence will benefit Democrats.

#31 | Posted by zetaleph at 2020-09-09 02:11 AM | Reply

"Bolton leaves open the possibility that Trump might have said those things BUT HE DIDN'T ACTUALLY WITNESS TRUMP SAYING THOSE THINGS."

"you could have called (Jack Danforth) a crotch-stain when I wasn't looking, so I can't rule that out."

Let me know when The Atlantic, WaPo, and Fox News report I did.

Meanwhile, wouldn't you feel more at home drunk-blogging from the crapper?

#32 | Posted by Danforth at 2020-09-09 02:14 AM | Reply

"Does in-person voting increase the possibility of spread, or decrease the possibility?

#29 | POSTED BY "DANFORTH"

Do you still beat your wife?

Either/or - yes/no questions are for intellectually-lazy hacks. Namely "Danforth".

If you want an intelligent discussion...let's talk about risk mitigation, acceptable risk (it's greater than zero), negative tradeoffs to excessive and overbearing attempts at minimizing risk.... But that would require far more than you seem capable of.

#33 | Posted by zetaleph at 2020-09-09 02:15 AM | Reply

"We've discussed this recently and I'm not interested in a circular discussion."

Exactly. All you're interested in is flinging feces.

If mail-in voting led to rampant voter fraud, you'd be able to cite multiple cases in Oregon, the military, and the five other states using predominantly mail-in ballots. But you can't, because you have no proof. NOT ONE SHRED.

The only additional burden is we might need more counters, or longer to count. We survived Florida in 2000, we can survive a few extra days to make sure votes are counted properly during a pandemic.

Of course in truth, this is just another voter suppression tactic from folks more worried about participation than fraud.

#34 | Posted by Danforth at 2020-09-09 02:20 AM | Reply

"Let me know when The Atlantic, WaPo, and Fox News report I did."

Ooh! An appeal to authority!

"Thanks for proving my point: Just because Bolton didn't hear it, doesn't mean it wasn't said. Bolton admitted as much."

Further, you are going with the argument - "Guilty until proven innocent." 13+ primary sources (Bolton is a Trump critic and had a major falling out with him) are all saying they never heard any of those comments. AND they are putting their name to it.

#35 | Posted by zetaleph at 2020-09-09 02:21 AM | Reply

yes/no questions are for intellectually-lazy hacks.

That wasn't a yes/no question, moron. It was to see if you know which way the macro dials turn. The fact you had to pretend it was a yes/no question just lays bare how willfully dishonest you are.

#36 | Posted by Danforth at 2020-09-09 02:21 AM | Reply

My apologies: the first paragraph in #36 should be in quotes.

I don't want anyone to think I'm as stupid as Zeta.

#37 | Posted by Danforth at 2020-09-09 02:22 AM | Reply

#34 States can't just flip a switch and convert to mail-in voting without problems arising. It takes time to iron out all of the kinks for such a massive change to how votes are accounted for and tallied. Maybe Oregon provides a great blueprint going forward. Having said that, with just weeks to go.....it will be pure chaos.

#38 | Posted by zetaleph at 2020-09-09 02:24 AM | Reply

"Please provide a single source, willing to go on the record, who backs up what was reported by "The Atlantic". "

Right after you prove Jennifer Griffin from Fox News wrong.
www.yahoo.com

#39 | Posted by Danforth at 2020-09-09 02:25 AM | Reply

"States can't just flip a switch and convert to mail-in voting without problems arising."

You're an idiot: all they'd need is more counters, and more time. Why are you afraid of giving states what they need to provide an accurate vote count?

Oh, that's right: you're more afraid of participation than fraud.

#40 | Posted by Danforth at 2020-09-09 02:27 AM | Reply

"Do you still beat your wife?"

Every time we footrace.

#41 | Posted by Danforth at 2020-09-09 02:28 AM | Reply

"yes/no questions are for intellectually-lazy hacks.

#36 | POSTED BY DANFORTH AT 2020-09-09 02:21 AM"

I didn't limit it to "yes/No", "Danforth".

Here is my comment:

""Either/or - yes/no questions are for intellectually-lazy hacks. Namely "Danforth"".

Your question was an either/or. It's basically the same as yes/no.

Whatever - you are a thoroughly dishonest hack. This whole story is absolute garbage. What is truly pathetic is Trump does actually say a lot of dumb and offensive things. But for you hacks in the Democratic Party and most of the media (one in the same) his easily verifiable comments are not enough - you've gotta make ---- up out of whole cloth and then double down on stupidity when facts get pesky.

You can have the last word.

#42 | Posted by zetaleph at 2020-09-09 02:30 AM | Reply

"Your question was an either/or. It's basically the same as yes/no. "

No it's not, Einstein. For example, if I ask whether tax cuts increase reinvestment or decrease reinvestment, that's not a yes or no question.

"What is truly pathetic is Trump does actually say a lot of dumb and offensive things."

Even a broken clock....

#43 | Posted by Danforth at 2020-09-09 02:34 AM | Reply

"you've gotta make ---- up out of whole cloth and then double down on stupidity when facts get pesky. "

My irony meter just exploded.

Fact is, if mail-in ballots increased fraud, you'd be able to show case after case after case from the military. Or Oregon. Or any of the other five states.

Put up or shut up.

#44 | Posted by Danforth at 2020-09-09 02:39 AM | Reply

Posted by zetaleph

You should consider the opinion of Ben Ginsberg, Republican "superlawyer." drudge.com

#45 | Posted by et_al at 2020-09-09 03:48 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Perhaps if one doesn't have to stand outside for hours in potentially inclement weather (in November in the NE), then sure. I wouldn't stand in a long line outside my grocery store, waiting to get in in nice weather let alone in what could be a chilly rainy day. I'd go home and come back tomorrow to do my shopping. You can't do that on election day. If you can vote early at the polls and avoid long lines and bad weather, then Zeke is probably right.

#46 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-09-09 07:44 AM | Reply

"But for you hacks in the Democratic Party and most of the media (one in the same) his easily verifiable comments are not enough - you've gotta make ---- up out of whole cloth and then double down on stupidity when facts get pesky."

Your full time hobby is repeating the crap you are fed by right wing media. The fact is, I have voted by mail for years. It's convenient and on the more obscure races it gives me the opportunity to inform myself and make a thoughtful choice. I will continue doing so and actually, I hope that pisses a******s off. And that would definitely include you ZETALEPH.

#47 | Posted by danni at 2020-09-09 08:18 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I'll vote in person even with the personal health risks. Donald Trump is a greater risk than Covid-19, and I don't want my vote for Biden to be contested for any reason whatsoever.

Vote at all cost. Our republic depends on it!

#48 | Posted by LiquidCake at 2020-09-09 08:43 AM | Reply

A common logical fallacy in the premise of the article.

I shop as soon as the store opens, because the few people that are there with me always wear masks and the employees are more vigilant about checking them. When voting, I don't have these choices of times, and even early in the day, the lines are always slow, the process of checking my registration is as slow as molasses--always done by older citizens who are like the Sloths at the DMV in "Zootopia,"and the machines are not going to be cleaned after every voter.

#49 | Posted by e1g1 at 2020-09-09 09:50 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#4 | Posted by censored

THAT is a HUGE part of the problem. Masks only work if EVERYONE is wearing them. The 6' distance is not enough if people are not wearing them. The troglodytes that refuse to wear masks claim you should just stay home if you are afraid to not infringe on their freedumb then they also go nuts about absentee ballots.

#50 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2020-09-09 10:55 AM | Reply

#45 | Posted by et_al

All that will achiev is thorough bashing by the likes of Fox, Rush, et al...

#51 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2020-09-09 10:58 AM | Reply

As others have said, "but why?" Why should I go vote in person when I can mail in my ballot so I don't have to take time off work and stand in line for possibly hours, have no risk of exposure plus I can look up information on candidates and ballot initiatives while I fill out my ballot?
I don't understand the fascination/obsession some have with standing in lines to hand in their homework.

#52 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2020-09-09 11:07 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The risk assessment chart the article's claim is based on is a joke. It equates the risk of grocery shopping with that of playing tennis, where you are outside and 70 feet away from the only other person you're interacting with. To lump voting into this category is equally ludicrous.

Not every polling place is set up the same. Mine, for example, is in a 25x50 foot fieldhouse built in 1891 that has 5 rooms and terrible ventilation. It's in a dense, politically active city neighborhood where hundreds of people line up out into the street to vote. It already takes hours to vote there during a presidential election. To adequately distance every voter would cause it to take an inordinate amount of time to vote and would literally disenfranchise hundreds - and that's just one polling place.

Stupid article. Stupid author. Stupid post.

#53 | Posted by JOE at 2020-09-09 11:26 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"We need to vote by mail to be safe" is the same thing as "We don't need voter ID." Both are a lie designed to defraud a system that works without changes and you liberals know it. There's a reason why we cannot vote over the internet or on your phone. Mail has the same fraud issues. Under normal condition, in most cases, absentee votes aren't even counted IF the in-person vote reveals a clear winner. In person voting where you must identify yourself with a government issued ID is the only way to ensure that we won't have fraud. Without in-person voting being the major source of voting, this upcoming election probably won't be decided until mid December and then both of our sides will cry foul with any result. I don't think either of our sides want to live in a world where each of our sides believes that the eventually elected president is considered illegitimate by half of the population.

#54 | Posted by Rocky_b at 2020-09-09 12:39 PM | Reply

"Mail has the same fraud issues. "

The military has been voting by mail for decades. Why can't you produce proof of fraud? Oregon has been voting by mail for decades. Why can't you produce proof of fraud? Five other states have predominantly mail-in voting. Why can't you produce proof of fraud?

You idiots keep claiming "issues", without the first shred of evidence. Put up or shut up.

#55 | Posted by Danforth at 2020-09-09 12:41 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"In person voting where you must identify yourself with a government issued ID is the only way to ensure that we won't have fraud."

Then proving rampant fraud in Oregon should be easy. Knock yourself out.

#56 | Posted by Danforth at 2020-09-09 12:43 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#54 | Posted by Rocky_b at

If Biden wins is the vote fraudulent? YOUR opinion. I know Trump's.

#57 | Posted by Zed at 2020-09-09 12:45 PM | Reply

Danforth, Did you not see the article yesterday about the 1000 double votes (1 by Mail + 1 in-Person) in Georgia yesterday? Isn't that fraud? As for the military votes, they're not counted unless the in-person vote is close. And to Zed....If Biden wins, he will be MY president as Obama was MY president. I will accept that. I have a feeling you won't accept a Trump win under any circumstance. Am I right?

#58 | Posted by Rocky_b at 2020-09-09 12:56 PM | Reply

"Did you not see the article yesterday about the 1000 double votes (1 by Mail + 1 in-Person) in Georgia yesterday? "

I did.

Did you not see the Texas article I posted, where similar claims had to be walked back? And BTW...didn't the GA folks do the exact same thing Trump has been suggesting?

"As for the military votes, they're not counted unless the in-person vote is close."

That's not exclusive to the military. And that doesn't excuse the fact if mail-in ballots were rife with fraud, you'd be able to find some actual fraud cases. And not just Ann Coulter and D'nesh D'Souza.

#59 | Posted by Danforth at 2020-09-09 01:05 PM | Reply

"I have a feeling you won't accept a Trump win under any circumstance. Am I right?"

But if Trump claims he would've won CA, except for the millions of illegal votes (of which Kobach couldn't find ANY), I'll take that with a ton of salt.

#60 | Posted by Danforth at 2020-09-09 01:07 PM | Reply

#58 | Posted by Rocky_b

If biden wins there's no reason not to accept him because he's not trying to cheat.

If trump wins, there are plenty of reasons not to accept him because HE'S OPENLY ADMITTED HE'S TRYING TO CHEAT. From getting hostile nations to spread propaganda for him in exchange for national favors, to unpaid campaign favors from media organizations like the national enquirer and fox news, to trying to limit the ways people can vote.

What's it like to support a man who has to cheat to win. Do you feel good about yourself?

#61 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2020-09-09 01:21 PM | Reply

Speaksoftly, I feel great about myself. To say that Biden won't cheat is rich. I fully expect that Biden supporters will cheat to make sure Trump doesn't win. Liberal hatred for Trump is off the charts and you'll do anything to make sure he doesn't win. All of you liberals are always talking about Trump the man but not his policies. Let's talk about Biden policies. How do you feel about open borders? How do you feel about amnesty for 10-20 million non-US citizens? How do you feel about expanded welfare rolls? How do you feel about higher taxes? How do you feel about transgender women participating in girls sports? How do you feel about socialized medicine? How do you feel about government paid abortions up to right before birth? I could go on but I won't. I don't like any of these and if the choice is voting for Trump or getting any of these, I'll vote for Trump. You asked.

#62 | Posted by Rocky_b at 2020-09-09 01:33 PM | Reply

#62 | Posted by Rocky_b

Liberal hatred for trump is earned and justified and if you had any ethics or brains you'd hate him too.

You expect biden to cheat because YOUR guy cheats, and you think everyone is as evil as you and your team. Evil people always assume everyone is as evil as them.

#63 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2020-09-09 01:35 PM | Reply

"To say that Biden won't cheat is rich. I fully expect that Biden supporters will cheat to make sure Trump doesn't win."

You're like the guy who cheats on his wife, and justifies it by concluding everyone cheats on his wife.

"Let's talk about Biden policies. How do you feel about open borders?"

Like you're a liar if you believe Biden believes in what you're calling "open borders".
www.factcheck.org

#64 | Posted by Danforth at 2020-09-09 01:37 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Evil people always assume everyone is as evil as them."

You beat me to it.

#65 | Posted by Danforth at 2020-09-09 01:37 PM | Reply

#62 | Posted by Rocky_b

Wow what a wonderful list of lies that shows what a gullible sucker you are. No keep going. I want to see exactly how many lies you swallowed.

Then you can tell us how you feel about trump pissing on the constitution, refusing to accept contitutional congressional oversight, appointing his kids to run the country, ignoring scientists and experts, blowing up the budget to give tax cuts to billionaires that YOU and your kids will have to pay for, ruining international alliances, sucking up to dictators, trying to cut social security and medicare, letting lobbyists run the country, and selling foreign policy for personal favors.

#66 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2020-09-09 01:38 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"How do you feel about higher taxes?"

#67 | Posted by Danforth at 2020-09-09 01:39 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Biden policies
I was happy with US border policy up to 2016. I don't support separating families and cageing children.

The VA and Medicare Medicaid is socialized medicine. I support public for all and drug price regulation or elimination of patents.

Like Buffet I support higher capital gain taxes, less tax avoidance and higher taxes above 400k.

I support a path to citizenship.

I support the end of the war on drugs and the pardon of minor drug crimes and closure of private prisons. Those prison guards will need a safety net until they find a decent job.

I support medically necessary abortions and the right of a woman to defend herself from unwanted intruders.

#68 | Posted by bored at 2020-09-09 01:54 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

One way or another, quit whining and vote.

#69 | Posted by Jaspar at 2020-09-09 02:13 PM | Reply

"You got $3 a week for the "tax cut", and every income-tax payer in your household borrowed $11,000 for it. How do YOU feel?"

How many people have responded to that question?

#70 | Posted by eberly at 2020-09-09 02:41 PM | Reply

Not every polling place is set up the same. Mine, for example ...

Then by all means vote by mail as you have indicated you will do. My situation is different. My precinct is about a third of an elementary school cafeteria/auditorium that's curtained off. It was built, I'm guessing, in the 70's. Except the primary in '08 I've never encountered a line of more than about 15 minutes. In that primary my wife waited about an hour and a half to vote the in Dem. primary.

I qualify to vote by mail, over 65. My wife does not. Therefore, we will go to the poll in person as we've done for over forty years. We and the polling place will follow the protocols set out in the article.

Unlike the cynical -----, you are ("Stupid article. Stupid author. Stupid post.", I see the article as offering some assurance to those who may be considering not voting in person because they don't have the option of voting by mail. I prefer every eligible person vote by whatever means necessary, seems you don't.

#71 | Posted by et_al at 2020-09-09 02:48 PM | Reply

"John Bolton says he didn't hear Trump insult fallen soldiers"

In other words, Bolton is claiming ignorance.

Thats's not a denial. That's a punt.

#72 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-09-09 02:52 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Mail has the same fraud issues.

Then offer evidence to support your claim. The problem is you can't.

The Trump 2016 campaign, of which I was not a part, could produce no hard evidence of systemic fraud. Trump established a Presidential Advisory Commission on Election Integrity in 2017 to expose all the fraud he maintains permeates our elections. He named the most vociferous hunters of Democratic election fraud to run the commission. It disbanded without finding anything.

The Heritage Foundation Election Fraud Database has compiled every instance of any kind of voter fraud it could find since 1982. It contains 1,296 incidents, a minuscule percentage of the votes cast. A study of results in three states where all voters are mailed actual ballots, a practice at the apex of the president's outrage, found just 372 possible cases of illegal voting of 14.6 million cast in the 2016 and 2018 general elections " 0.0025 percent.

#73 | Posted by et_al at 2020-09-09 02:58 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"Let's talk about Biden policies. How do you feel about open borders?"

Do we have open borders right now, under Trump?

#74 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-09-09 03:02 PM | Reply

- open borders

hahaha... old rwingers and their stupid memes never die, they just smell like it.

#75 | Posted by Corky at 2020-09-09 03:04 PM | Reply

Stupid article. The reality is that the GOP in almost every red state in the country has tried to make it as difficult as possible for poor people and minorities to vote in person. When I go to a grocery store I don't have to wait on a three hour line the way they are setting up in some areas of the South.

#76 | Posted by moder8 at 2020-09-09 03:26 PM | Reply

#31 | POSTED BY ZETALEPH

Given the current state of things it's likely to benefit Trump.

They've been sending blanket mail in voting applications to registered Repubs while Don Jr recorded robocalls encouraging Repubs to use them.

With dismantled sorting centers in urban areas, the urban votes will be undercounted while rural votes will be counted. It's clearly going to be low "turnout" in urban centers as people might decide to not risk it by voting in person while mailed in ballots will sit uncounted in USPS facilities.

#77 | Posted by jpw at 2020-09-09 03:49 PM | Reply

Having said that, with just weeks to go.....it will be pure chaos.

#38 | POSTED BY ZETALEPH

This is as unfounded an assumption as the rampant fraud claim is.

#78 | Posted by jpw at 2020-09-09 03:51 PM | Reply

#54 | POSTED BY ROCKY_B

More assumptions. It's all you guys have.

There is no evidence of rampant voter fraud of any kind. Period.

Stop asserting a dreamt up scenario as a given, inevitable fact.

#79 | Posted by jpw at 2020-09-09 03:55 PM | Reply

Yeah yeah. And Jade Helm was cover for Obama to institute martial law in Texas and Arizona...

Don't you guys ever tire of being so wrong so often?

Try living in reality that is based on real information, not made up garbage you guys spew to justify unsupportable positions.

#80 | Posted by jpw at 2020-09-09 03:58 PM | Reply

BTW it's not librul hatred of Trump.

It's anybody who's a decent human being hatred of Trump.

It says a lot about one's character if they still support that ----- heap.

#81 | Posted by jpw at 2020-09-09 03:59 PM | Reply

#62 | POSTED BY ROCKY_B

What a gullible fool, regurgitating the same stupid crap that's pounded into his head by Fox Noise.

#82 | Posted by jpw at 2020-09-09 04:00 PM | Reply

From what you all say, policy wise, nothing will change. OK. That makes me feel better. I hope your right. If not, who will the fool be then?

#83 | Posted by Rocky_b at 2020-09-09 04:09 PM | Reply

" You've asked it many times here. How many folks have given you a real response? Meaning they understood what you asked."

Never.

They all run away when confronted with the truth. Must be Kryptonite to Republicans.

#84 | Posted by Danforth at 2020-09-09 04:13 PM | Reply

Rocky B: I suspect it never really dawned on your tiny partisan brain that Biden is an honorable man who wishes to serve our nation, whereas Trump is a lying self indulgent sack of narcissistic delusion.

#85 | Posted by moder8 at 2020-09-09 04:23 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

or they don't understand your point in the first place.

#86 | Posted by eberly at 2020-09-09 04:24 PM | Reply

Your solution for those living that reality is what? Don't vote? Or suck it up and do whatever is necessary and vote?

I prefer the latter. You seem to prefer the former.

#87 | Posted by et_al at 2020-09-09 04:31 PM | Reply

Expand vote by mail insofar as possible. Push for it. Protest over it. Letters to the Editor. Say it out loud. It is that important.

#88 | Posted by moder8 at 2020-09-09 04:42 PM | Reply

If you can vote by mail, why can't we just vote by mail?

#89 | Posted by chuffy at 2020-09-09 04:57 PM | Reply

#62 | POSTED BY ROCKY_B

What has Trump done to earn your vote?

Or...

What is it that you hope Trump will do that has earned your vote?

#90 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2020-09-09 05:17 PM | Reply

I love when Trumpers act like they are being dragged kicking and screaming into voting for such a despicable POS.

You like Trump. You defend him and attack his opponents every time you visit this site. You would vote for Trump no matter who the Dem candidate is.

#91 | Posted by JOE at 2020-09-09 05:44 PM | Reply

The legislature is not in session in Texas until January. Abbott has declined to call a special session. Now what? Don't vote or do what's necessary?

#92 | Posted by et_al at 2020-09-09 05:53 PM | Reply

I dont understand why we dont digitize voting. Blockchain is perfect for it. Non repudiation(you cant say it wasnt you who voted), Integrity (if the "chain" is hacked, the vote doesnt count), availability (You could vote from your computer at home). Easy and we would have the results before 10 pm.

#93 | Posted by boaz at 2020-09-09 06:11 PM | Reply

-I dont understand why we dont digitize voting. Blockchain is perfect for it.

How many people understand that enough to trust it?

#94 | Posted by eberly at 2020-09-09 06:13 PM | Reply

How many people understand that enough to trust it?
#94 | POSTED BY EBERLY

That matters?

How long will it take to educate the public about the future of cryptography?

Remember this stuff:

www.thatsnonsense.com

#95 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2020-09-09 06:16 PM | Reply

"or they don't understand your point in the first place."

Three bucks a week, and the taxpayer's portion of the payback is $11,000 per.

Actual Math is hard werk.

#96 | Posted by Danforth at 2020-09-09 06:18 PM | Reply

People don't stand in line for 5 or 6 hours when they're at the grocery store.

OCU

#97 | Posted by OCUser at 2020-09-09 08:48 PM | Reply

Don't vote by mail because you go grocery shopping sound like dumb reasoning.

No wonder Trumpublicans believe it's a good argument.

#98 | Posted by ClownShack at 2020-09-09 08:52 PM | Reply

Integrity (if the "chain" is hacked, the vote doesnt count)

You think that's a selling point?

#99 | Posted by JOE at 2020-09-09 09:09 PM | Reply

Don't vote by mail because you go grocery shopping sound like dumb reasoning.

Some don't qualify to vote by mail, e.g. my wife, others may have concerns about using mail voting others may be traditionalists who will only vote in person or not at all. So, in light of those concerns what should they do, not vote?

#100 | Posted by et_al at 2020-09-09 09:20 PM | Reply

I have requested an absentee/mail-in ballot. I will fill it in and drop it off early at an early voting election precinct as per our County's rules. I get to vote, and I get to stay safe Win/win.

Unfortunately Texas, along with LA, MS, TN.SC, and IN is one of 6 red states that you can't even use COVID-19 as an excuse to get a mail-in ballot.

You may want to consult:
www.nbcnews.com

#101 | Posted by YAV at 2020-09-09 09:48 PM | Reply

Some don't qualify to vote by mail

That sounds, to me, like a violation of her right to vote.

And all these people should be provided with local voting stations where they can go to cast their vote.

Honestly. I've never had an issue voting. Most I've ever waited in line was 5 minutes. The process was very straightforward and easy.

I've heard horror stories of waiting 8 hours in line. Sounds like something isn't working correctly. Either intentionally or unintentionally.

#102 | Posted by ClownShack at 2020-09-09 10:19 PM | Reply

"I've heard horror stories of waiting 8 hours in line."

Only in minority districts in Republican-run states. The white neighborhoods always seem to have plenty of machines.

"Sounds like something isn't working correctly."

Oh, no, it's just fine
~RNC

#103 | Posted by Danforth at 2020-09-09 10:24 PM | Reply

-Three bucks a week, and the taxpayer's portion of the payback is $11,000 per.

Right. You keep babbling that but nobody knows WTF you're talking about.

-That matters?

Depends. Do you want people to support it?

#104 | Posted by eberly at 2020-09-09 10:42 PM | Reply

"You keep babbling that but nobody knows WTF you're talking about."

The average $50K W-2 worker gets THREE DOLLARS A WEEK from the Trump "tax cut". Mnuchin made it look like $43, by taking $40 out of YOUR WALLET, lowering refunds or increasing taxes owed. The total package will cost $2.3 Trillion. Dividing that per income-tax-payer, that comes out to $11,000 per taxpayer.

Why is it so out of whack? Because 87% goes to corporations, foreign investors, and the 1%. And they're NOT the ones paying it back. YOU ARE.

"Do you want people to support it?"

That horse has left the barn, hasn't it? If you've got three kids, your family's tab is $55,000.

Sorry if I'm ruining your day with Actual Math.

#105 | Posted by Danforth at 2020-09-09 10:49 PM | Reply

105

LOL

I see your point , Mathforth.

It's cute.

#106 | Posted by eberly at 2020-09-09 10:53 PM | Reply

"The total package will cost $2.3 Trillion. Dividing that per income-tax-payer, that comes out to $11,000 per taxpayer."

Why are you dividing it equally?

#107 | Posted by eberly at 2020-09-09 10:55 PM | Reply

"I see your point "

Worth $3 a week, or not?

"Why are you dividing it equally?"

It's called an average.

#108 | Posted by Danforth at 2020-09-09 11:02 PM | Reply

-Worth $3 a week, or not?

To whom?

-It's called an average.

Is that how we divide up debt?

#109 | Posted by eberly at 2020-09-09 11:17 PM | Reply

"Is that how we divide up debt? If I'm making $250k a year with wife and 2 kids and some guy makes $55K a year with wife and 2 kids.....our share is equal?

No. You folks get to pay more. Lucky you!

#110 | Posted by Danforth at 2020-09-09 11:29 PM | Reply

Wish I could opt out of the deferred social security tax money "savings." I don't exactly see how in regard to the economy, things could recover quick enough that those who need the immediate cash from the deferral will be able to recoup and pay it back in less than a year. Which makes me feel that Congress may lean toward forgiving the repayment of the tax deferral. At the very least it will set up a congressional fight which will waste productive time to tackle other issues like InFrAsTrUcTuRe WeEk pt 9.

#111 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2020-09-09 11:36 PM | Reply

#111-- my employer opted out for all of us, you may ask your employer if it's an option.

#112 | Posted by justagirl_idaho at 2020-09-09 11:39 PM | Reply

You may want to consult:

I consulted the Harris County Clerk's website which basically says; if you request an absentee ballot and check disability as the excuse, even if the "disability" is fear of Covid which the Tx Sup Ct says is not a valid reason, the clerk's office will not inquire into the excuse and will send a ballot. However, the Tx AG has drunk the kool-aid on mail voting and has threatened the prosecute anyone who does so. Ain't worth the risk when we are usually in and out of the polling place in about ten to fifteen minutes. We'll follow the protocols the same as when shopping etc. In our little neck of the woods I estimate compliance at ninety five percent or better.

#113 | Posted by et_al at 2020-09-09 11:45 PM | Reply

That sounds, to me, like a violation of her right to vote.

Absent a federal statute, there is no requirement that state's offer mail balloting. Nevertheless, the issue is currently being litigated. moritzlaw.osu.edu Although, there may be no decision in time for election. www.theusconstitution.org

#114 | Posted by et_al at 2020-09-10 12:00 AM | Reply

I see your point , Mathforth.
It's cute.
#106 | POSTED BY EBERLY

He answered your question.

Did you even understand his response?

I can't tell based on you trolling response.

#115 | Posted by ClownShack at 2020-09-10 04:36 AM | Reply

"We'll follow the protocols the same as when shopping etc. In our little neck of the woods I estimate compliance at ninety five percent or better."

Obedient lemmings.

#116 | Posted by danni at 2020-09-10 09:18 AM | Reply

""I see your point "
Worth $3 a week, or not?
"Why are you dividing it equally?"
It's called an average."

The real question is, do you want us to have a country or not. Sure the rich pay more but the advantages of us having a nation also benefit them more, the chances of a Communist revolution are greatly reduced when we have a prosperous middle class. Realize that in 1930-32 and even beyond, we had strong Nazi Party membership and strong Communist Party membership right here in the United States. FDR defeated those parties by bringing prosperity back after the Capitalists had destroyed the economy. Other nations were not so lucky as to have FDR at the helm. Today, our economy is at risk again and if it is not managed carefully and kindly we can easily fall for the promises of Communists or Nazis when we are hungry or homeless.

#117 | Posted by danni at 2020-09-10 09:26 AM | Reply

"Ain't worth the risk when we are usually in and out of the polling place in about ten to fifteen minutes."

Let get serious: that's only for the richer, whiter areas. For the poorer, non-white areas, it takes hours. By design.

#118 | Posted by Danforth at 2020-09-10 10:34 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

#101 | Posted by YAV

Perhaps, but at least in the case of Texas, the judges on the state's Supreme Court, in their written opinions, which accompanied the ruling that fearing getting COVID was NOT sufficient to claim a medical/disability exception when applying for an absentee ballot, they made the observation that the decision to claim an exception is the responsibility of the voter and that there is NO mechanism to actually verify if that claim was legitimate or not. The court went even further by reminding the state that there was insufficient time before the election to EVEN consider trying to set-up a mechanism to do so as it would be impossible to have anything in place that would cover the entire state and which would treat EVERY voter application equally. In other words, they implied that if someone did ask for a medical/disability exemption out of fear of contracting COVID while voting, who would be the wiser.

OCU

#119 | Posted by OCUser at 2020-09-10 12:01 PM | Reply

In Colorado they have already been mailing me ballots since 2014. I fill out the ballot at my leisure, with plenty of time to study each candidate and issue. Then I either mail the ballot in or return it to an election drop box. Between local and Primary elections, we've already been through 3 this year. It works very well here. We should not have to regress to the old system.

#120 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2020-09-10 12:16 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Just glad I don't live in Texas though Florida isn't much better.

#121 | Posted by danni at 2020-09-10 12:17 PM | Reply

"We should not have to regress to the old system."

As voters in swing states are going to find out in November, there will be thugs at the polls trying to intimidate people they suspect might vote Democrat so if you are a minority Democrat just think about this, they can't intimidate a mail in voter.

#122 | Posted by danni at 2020-09-10 12:18 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

There are states that make voting absentee nearly impossible, requiring a "valid" reason that doesn't include fear of COVID as well as witness signatures. I think that Dr. Emanuel is trying to encourage voters in those states. Obviously EVERYBODY NEEDS TO VOTE, but you should choose the method of voting that makes you most comfortable. Don't wait until election day, vote early if you can, vote absentee if you can, make a plan, and encourage as many family members and friends to do the same. Most importantly, check your voter registration on VOTE.ORG to make sure you're STILL registered.

I'm in WA, and like everybody I'll be voting absentee, but will be returning the ballot to a drop-box a couple of blocks from my work. I will be voting my ballot on the day it arrives, and putting it in the drop-box the following day. I have no fear that my vote won't be counted, because it's WA, a state and state government that respects the votes of ALL voters.

#123 | Posted by _Gunslinger_ at 2020-09-10 01:29 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#16 | POSTED BY DANFORTH AT 2020-09-09 12:44 AM | FLAG: | FUNNY:

I am concerned about Republican run voter fraud because I read some of the articles by lefties here. I don't know how true they are.

WE SHOULD ALL BE CONCERNED.

#124 | Posted by drivelikejehu at 2020-09-10 07:27 PM | Reply

"I am concerned about Democratic run voter fraud experientially because I've witnessed it first hand in New Mexico. "

Feel free to link to the filed case.

Also, be sure you define "rampant" for us.

#125 | Posted by Danforth at 2020-09-10 07:56 PM | Reply

#116 | Posted by danni

Maskhole.

Fauci. www.nationalgeographic.com

Harvard prof. www.politico.com

Poll that addresses some the concerns I raised above. www.washingtonpost.com

#126 | Posted by et_al at 2020-09-10 08:02 PM | Reply

#124 | POSTED BY DRIVELIKEJEHU

We should all be vigilant but there's not much to be concerned about.

The president's rhetoric has put my party in the position of a firefighter who deliberately sets fires to look like a hero putting them out. Republicans need to take a hard look before advocating laws that actually do limit the franchise of otherwise qualified voters. Calling elections "fraudulent" and results "rigged" with almost nonexistent evidence is antithetical to being the "rule of law" party.

electionlawblog.org

#127 | Posted by et_al at 2020-09-10 08:17 PM | Reply

"Couple more health experts saying in person voting is not a significant health risk."

"Significant" is a relative term.

When my clients ask about the probability of getting audited, I say when it's them, it's 100%.

#128 | Posted by Danforth at 2020-09-10 09:26 PM | Reply

"The president's rhetoric has put my party in the position of a firefighter who deliberately sets fires to look like a hero putting them out."

That's not a new trick, you old dog!

George W. Bush did the same when he ignored the August 6 PDB "Osama bin Laden Determined To Strike In US."

#129 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-09-11 08:54 PM | Reply