Tuesday, September 15, 2020

People from countries like El Salvador and Haiti who won temporary protected status after fleeing natural disaster and war can be forced to return home, a federal appeals court ruled.

Comments

Who's coming with them!!!

Seriously, we could turn El Salvador into the best country in the world with a little expat investment.

#1 | Posted by bocaink at 2020-09-15 12:49 PM | Reply

Who would have that that protected temporary status meant temporary?

#2 | Posted by homerj at 2020-09-15 01:20 PM | Reply

Who that think you covfefe?

#3 | Posted by bocaink at 2020-09-15 03:58 PM | Reply

Which part of temporary are you confused by?

#4 | Posted by homerj at 2020-09-15 04:20 PM | Reply

Yep, it's got the word "Temporary" in it, so the Trump administration has no choice but to be a bunch of cruel, anti-immigrant hatemongers.

#5 | Posted by Derek_Wildstar at 2020-09-15 04:49 PM | Reply

#5 I was waiting for one of you on the left to chime in. Predictable: Trump is cruel. These folks were brought here with compassion, legally but temporarily. At the time, I predicted that this temporary status would be eventually questioned and I'll bet you the people who put this "temporary" status in place did so because they thought they'd be in control when the temporary status expired. Now that their temporary status is up, if they decide to stay, they'll be illegal in their attempt to stay. Contrary to popular belief, republicans don't have any problem with immigrants; we have a problem with immigrants who come here illegally. So, I'd like to rephrase your comment: "anti-illegal-immigrant hatemongers." that would be slightly better. :-)

#6 | Posted by Rocky_b at 2020-09-15 05:43 PM | Reply

"Predictable: Trump is cruel."

We understand that you see cruelty as a positive.

What I don't understand is how you ended up thinking that.

Can you give some examples from history -- or whatever led you to support cruelty -- where cruelty towards innocent people has worked out better than the alternatives?

#7 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-09-15 07:17 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Contrary to popular belief, republicans don't have any problem with immigrants; we have a problem with immigrants who come here illegally."

These immigrants came here legally.

You're lying when you say you don't have a problem with them.

#8 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-09-15 07:19 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#6 | POSTED BY ROCKY_B

Capitalism requires fresh blood. Those immigrants have contributed greatly to the American economy and now so are their children.

Allowing them to stay isn't harming the country. People like you would love to see mass deportations which would only cause misery, great cost and a loss of GDP.

#9 | Posted by Derek_Wildstar at 2020-09-15 07:43 PM | Reply

Snoofy, if you're going to try and criticize me, read what I write: "These folks were brought here with compassion, legally but temporarily." Note clearly that I wrote and believe that they were brought here legally. And to your question about supporting cruelty. There must be a limit to immigration to this country. We have enough problems with our own citizens that are living on streets and in poverty. It's cruel to them to continue to allow low wage workers into this country. Would you impose a limit on how many people can come to this country? If you would, what number would that be? If you wouldn't, this country would be overrun. And to post #9, If we didn't have illegal labor, we'd pay more for products. Let us or maybe we'd find an automated way of picking produce. OR maybe we should develop a migrant worker program that doesn't lead to fraud. Again: Legal immigration is good. Illegal immigration is bad. Simple enough for me. Why isn't it for you? Please answer questions: 1. Would you limit immigration of any kind? 2. If you would, what limit would you put on the numbers? I'd think there are people on this site who would be interested in knowing your position. Tell us. Come on. I dare you.

#10 | Posted by Rocky_b at 2020-09-15 08:15 PM | Reply

And to #9..I don't know any republican who wants Mass Deportation. Never happen and I would be against it. We just need to be better at limiting illegal immigration. I'm in favor of a path to citizenship for those who've illegally come here. By the way, I'd also like to end birthright citizenship which I'm sure if going to make many of you really mad. Just being honest.

#11 | Posted by Rocky_b at 2020-09-15 08:17 PM | Reply

I don't know any republican who wants Mass Deportation.

His name is Boaz.

#12 | Posted by REDIAL at 2020-09-15 08:19 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"And to your question about supporting cruelty. There must be a limit to immigration to this country."

We already have limits.
You're not saying anything.

"Again: Legal immigration is good."

Then why not let these legal immigrants stay?

Just explain why you want us to deport good, legal immigrants.

#13 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-09-15 08:33 PM | Reply

"And to post #9, If we didn't have illegal labor, we'd pay more for products."

So freaking what?
You're justifying illegal hiring practices because it's easier on your pocketbook?

Having slaves makes housework much less of a chore, I suppose you're okay with that too.

You just pick and choose whatever argument suits you, with no regard for consistency, and then you pick a contradictory argument moments later.

You must wake up amazed every day to find that the sun rose in the east once again. What are the odds!

It seems like both your political views and your way of discussing politics are indistinguishable from Russian propaganda.

#14 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-09-15 08:39 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"We just need to be better at limiting illegal immigration."

That's only tangentially related to the topic.

Trump has had four years to make it better.

In that time, Trump has made it so we can't emigrate anywhere, thanks to his mishandling of the Coronavirus.

Which has made the USA less attractive to immigrants. Unfortunately that's not good for the economy -- and I don't mean the bottom sectors of the economy that relies on illegal labor. I mean the high-tech high-paying jobs at Amazon and Qualcomm and Boeing and Microsoft. And this isn't even factoring in the billions of tourist dollars that simply won't be coming to America anytime soon.

And for all this bungling, you want to reward Trump with a second term?

You should hope you are a Russian troll account. Because the alternative makes you look even worse.

#15 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-09-15 08:46 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Snoofy, you keep reading me wrong. We have LEGAL limits to immigration. If you're OK with them so am I. I'm not OK with illegal immigrants. Russian propaganda? You're ignorance of Russian politics is showing. As it pertains to low wage workers, I don't like them. I wish they were paid more which is why I said "we'd pay more." Maybe I should have said, "I'm OK if I paid more." I'd love to see the people who harvest produce paid a minimum wage and if they cannot find any workers at a minimum wage then increase the wage until they can find workers. If that means I pay more for produce, I'm completely OK with that. And to your comment about allowing the legal immigrants to stay, I'd be OK with that too IF and this is a BIG IF they weren't brought here under a TEMPORARY status. By the way, I'm an American. Born and raised but with my eyes open. The big difference between you and me is that you believe that all people could potentially be happy. Never going to happen. The best we can do is make most people happy. There is a limit to the compassion that can be provided. By the way, if you hate this country so much, why don't you go somewhere that's better. I'm sure in your mind there are a lot of other places better than the US.

#16 | Posted by Rocky_b at 2020-09-15 09:08 PM | Reply

Rocky B = JeffJ before he became brainwashed.

Methinks..... well..... maybe someone is trying to tread down the road to redemption but can't stop stepping in it.

I could be wrong and if so, I've met your doppelganger in a past life.

#17 | Posted by bocaink at 2020-09-16 12:10 AM | Reply

And Rocky, this was MY country that you guys took a giant dump on, so why don't you leave and let us be American again?

#18 | Posted by bocaink at 2020-09-16 12:12 AM | Reply

"I'd love to see the people who harvest produce paid a minimum wage and if they cannot find any workers at a minimum wage then increase the wage until they can find workers."

Comments like "If we didn't have illegal labor, we'd pay more for products" run completely contrary to that.

Do you not see that?

#19 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-09-16 12:14 AM | Reply

It's not just Trump is cruel...
He is, don't get me wrong,
but it's more appropriate to say
Republicans are cruel. They are
racist old farts that just like
white people, and that's about it...

Luckily, most of them will die soon,
what, with the average age of the GOP
at 65 yrs. plus...

You've got about 3 election cycles left
in you before your party goes the way
of the Dinosaur...

And on that day, I shall open a bottle of
Lagavulin I've been saving for awhile now,
and I shall grin my toothiest grin...

#20 | Posted by earthmuse at 2020-09-16 07:28 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The following HTML tags are allowed in comments: a href, b, i, p, br, ul, ol, li and blockquote. Others will be stripped out. Participants in this discussion must follow the site's moderation policy. Profanity will be filtered. Abusive conduct is not allowed.

Anyone can join this site and make comments. To post this comment, you must sign it with your Drudge Retort username. If you can't remember your username or password, use the lost password form to request it.
Username: