Saturday, September 19, 2020

Microsoft has rewritten their browser Edge using open source Chromium. Google Chrome also runs on Chromium. Google is likely worried because it's actually really good.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Personally...I'm a hard sell on software. I'm impressed with the features and quality of Microsoft's rewritten browser. I've preferred Chrome for years. Due to my concerns with Google's data mining and increasing lack of privacy, I am concerned about privacy issues. New Microsoft Edge isn't perfect but it's definitely moving in the right direction and has a lot of privacy features available and easy to use. Anyone used to Chrome will definitely notice the similarity and will appreciate the ease of use and especially the speed.

They have also released Edge for Android and IOS.

I predict Google will soon try to impress everyone with their newfound concern for privacy and will add new features to Chrome.

Comments

... Due to my concerns with Google's data mining and increasing lack of privacy, ...

I doubt if Microsoft is much better in that regard.

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-09-19 01:16 PM | Reply

Microsoft makes absolutely horrid products. Period. And good products they take and bloat and destroy.

I won't use microsoft products if I have ANY choice.

#2 | Posted by YAV at 2020-09-19 01:53 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I won't use microsoft products if I have ANY choice.

Agreed. The only time I use Microsoft is when I'm collaborating with Windows users. These are generally older people. Even then, I can get by with LibreOffice.

#3 | Posted by horstngraben at 2020-09-19 02:52 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Yav,

"Microsoft makes absolutely horrid products."

Specifically what is wrong with their products?

#4 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2020-09-19 06:31 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Horst,

Same question to you.

Windows is the most used desktop/laptop OS on the planet and not just older people.

#5 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2020-09-19 06:36 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I've been in the PC field since DOS 2.8 and have seen the changes happening one event at a time.

I've supported Microsoft PC's the entire time and still do.

Got my MCSE for the fun of it. I've always enjoyed working with LAN's. Started out with Novell.

Never touched Apple stuff. The people I knew who used them all had this weird vacant stare..."yes...master".

#6 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2020-09-19 06:42 PM | Reply

PCs, sure, but Linux is by far the most popular OS for servers, where I do most of my work.

Accessing remote servers using Windows is a pain, particularly because most servers run Linux.

Windows' command line interface simply doesn't cut it when doing scientific analysis - CMD is like a jalopy and Bash is like a Ferrari. For whatever reason, Microsoft FINALLY addressed this by just incorporating Bash into Windows (which is a pain to set up and is still has limited capability).

Developing in Python sucks with Windows and is awesome with Linux.

I always have to laugh at my Word-user colleagues when they fly into rage mode after trying to embed figures and captions into their papers or enter equations using the equation composer. Its a joke. Besides, Word takes what 4 GiB of RAM to run? Way easier to compose using LaTeX and Vim on a Linux system...sleek, fast, reliable.

Windows success is due to their emphasis on a user-friendly interface at the cost of performance. Their software is bloated with unneeded features that just slow everything down. These days, Linux OS like Ubuntu are equally user-friendly but have way more capabilities than Windows. More stable, no need to worry about spying, and no need to worry about your computer updating for 20 minutes when you're supposed to be giving a presentation (I always laugh at that too).

Basically put, Windows is useless for scientific analysis. It is slow and lacks the capability of a Linux OS.

Linux (my preferred flavor being Debian), Python, LaTeX, Vim, Inkscape, Gimp...all open source and are the backbone of modern scientific analysis. Windows is nowhere close.

#7 | Posted by horstngraben at 2020-09-19 07:21 PM | Reply

As an Ubuntu novice, I enjoy the absence of bloat

#8 | Posted by hamburglar at 2020-09-19 07:27 PM | Reply

Horst,

Totally agree that Linux is a serious OS misunderstood by the masses who don't work in your technical environment or need that kind of flexibility.

What I've appreciated all these years is how MS took a very complex machine and simplified it for everyday people.

Apple is a good OS but in the early days appealed more to a vertical market instead of more general usage.

Microsoft has had a tendency to arrive to parties late but once they are there, they sit at the head of the table.

#9 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2020-09-19 07:51 PM | Reply

For the record, the DOS version I was working with was nagging at me so I looked it up.

I guess it must have had to be 2.1 looking through old history since I was already working in the field on IBM and Kaypro (clone) computers when 3.0 came out which gave the ability to install a 32 meg hard drive.

That's wild.

People have single mp3 files that are bigger than that now but at the time it was a big deal.

Getting the computer to see drives back then wasn't just plug and go. "Plug and Play" came out later.

Drives had to be "low level formatted" before a regular format. Learning to install hard drives was one of the first things you had to learn working on pc's. You had to know the number of sectors to format and other things now I don't recall to set it up.

I was there the day the new fancy IBM PS2 computers arrived at the store and we unboxed them from big huge white boxes. They looked beautiful and so futuristic. You knew they were special. Tall bright white plastic cases (instead of metal) standing on the table with 3.5 inch drives instead of the big 5 inch floppy drives and smaller PS2 plugs for the keyboard and VGA monitors.

Last part.

I owned an IBM PC with a 80386 processor (XT). One of my computers today at home still has an original screw that came from that computer and held down a card that has always been in a running computer and still is today.

Sort of like the old joke Lincoln's ax that you replaced the handle and then the blade...it is an original IBM PC computer in spirit.

I used to see older people and wonder what my life would be like when I was one of them.

Now I know.

#10 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2020-09-20 06:35 AM | Reply

Horst,

"Even then, I can get by with LibreOffice."

I use VBA for Excel extensively so I can't get away from Office. I work in accounting.

A lot of companies have invested time and money in VBA routines they depend upon so VBA still has a future even though it has been surpassed.

It's ability for any novice to effectively create a sophisticated excel function will keep it around a while longer.

#11 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2020-09-20 07:02 AM | Reply

For anyone who caught it, I should have wrote 5.25, not 5.

#12 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2020-09-21 09:41 AM | Reply

"no need to worry about spying"

Hopefully whoever writes the check doesn't pay you much.

#13 | Posted by LIVE_OR_DIE at 2020-09-21 08:33 PM | Reply

#13 | Posted by LIVE_OR_DIE

Yeah, you clearly don't know what you are talking about. LOL.

#14 | Posted by horstngraben at 2020-09-21 11:05 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Re: #13 Live or Die

www.lifewire.com Scroll down to the "Security" section

#15 | Posted by hamburglar at 2020-09-22 09:15 AM | Reply

I've switched back to Firefox from Chromium, I like to sync across OS's. In Ubuntu Firefox, I wasn't able to watch streaming soccer yesterday; video codecs were not working, though Youtube videos ran fine. I booted up OSX Firefox and the streaming soccer ran fine.

I downloaded the new Edge browser in Win10 the other day, it seemed much better than its predecessors. Still sticking with Firefox.

#16 | Posted by hamburglar at 2020-09-22 09:27 AM | Reply

If you think you can get away with not worrying about security because Windows is worse than you're an even bigger moron than I thought, and your boss is seriously getting a bad deal for whatever they pay you.

#17 | Posted by LIVE_OR_DIE at 2020-09-22 10:46 AM | Reply

*then

#18 | Posted by LIVE_OR_DIE at 2020-09-22 10:47 AM | Reply

ReL #17

Here's another about the security of Linux vs. Windows: www.youtube.com

#19 | Posted by hamburglar at 2020-09-22 11:07 AM | Reply

I'm not arguing that Linux isn't more secure than Windows, dummy.

#20 | Posted by LIVE_OR_DIE at 2020-09-22 11:22 AM | Reply