Tuesday, September 29, 2020

The president's alliance with religious conservatives has long been premised on the contention that he takes them seriously, while Democrats hold them in disdain. But in private, many of Trump's comments about religion are marked by cynicism and contempt, according to people who have worked for him.

Comments

Only what is expected.

#1 | Posted by Zed at 2020-09-29 10:08 AM | Reply

I seem to remember that W privately expressed essentially the same opinions about his evangenital fanboys.

#2 | Posted by contrecoup at 2020-09-29 10:22 AM | Reply

They won't care one bit. Not as long as they get what they want from him. They'll even come to his defense and say God uses all kinds of different tools to achieve his goals.

#3 | Posted by YAV at 2020-09-29 10:27 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

'I always assumed he was an atheist," Barbara Res, a former executive at the Trump Organization, told me'

Ha!

#4 | Posted by Tor at 2020-09-29 10:57 AM | Reply

God uses all kinds of different tools to achieve his goals.

#3 | POSTED BY YAV

He is definitely using a "tool" this time.

#5 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-09-29 11:00 AM | Reply

"Two Corinthians walked into a bar...."

#6 | Posted by Corky at 2020-09-29 12:38 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"Two Corinthians walked into a bar...."

#6 | Posted by Corky

"Marcus, surely you need new sandals"

"I do, and don't call me Shirley"

#7 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2020-09-29 01:09 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

Trump Secretly Mocks his Christian Supporters

Probably the most accurate headline.

Only a rube would still think Trump gives two s---s about them or anybody else.

#8 | Posted by jpw at 2020-09-29 01:25 PM | Reply

These 'religious conservatives' don't care that Trump sneers at them. They are getting their judges and Supreme Court justices. And some day in the future, when the SCOTUS doesn't rule in their favor on some matter of great importance to them, all these religious phonies will cry out, and there will be great wailing and gnashing of teeth. Meanwhile, DO NOT ask any of these folks about feeding the hungry, healing the sick, clothing the naked or welcoming the stranger. That's for someone else. They will not have any inking about which you are talking--they're too busy trying to get judges to agree with them...

#9 | Posted by catdog at 2020-09-29 01:29 PM | Reply

#7 | POSTED BY AMERICANUNITY

Ba dump bump!

#10 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2020-09-29 02:17 PM | Reply

Their judicial wish list:

Outlaw abortion (and probably birth control)
Restore school prayer
Public taxpayer money to pay for religious schools
Freedom to discriminate against "those people"
Freedom to practice politics while retaining tax exemption

They'll swallow a lot of Repub sins to get those things.
"The ends justify the means" like Jesus said.

Wait, what?

#11 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2020-09-29 02:33 PM | Reply

OK, this could be fun.

"Two Corinthians walked into a bar...."

And Jesus smote them!

#12 | Posted by YAV at 2020-09-29 02:35 PM | Reply

I saw this hilarious flashback from 2016 on CNN yesterday:

Trump: "I'm always audited by the IRS, which I think is very unfair - I don't know, maybe because of religion, maybe because of something else, maybe because I'm doing this, although this is just recently."

Cuomo: "What do you mean religion?"

Trump: "Well, maybe because of the fact that I'm a strong Christian, and I feel strongly about it and maybe there's a bias."

As if. What a charlatan.

#13 | Posted by Derek_Wildstar at 2020-09-29 03:29 PM | Reply

I saw this hilarious flashback from 2016 on CNN yesterday:
Cuomo: "What do you mean religion?"
As if. What a charlatan.

#13 | POSTED BY DEREK_WILDSTAR AT 2020-09-29 03:29 PM

It's what they all are. It's what they come to expect and admire in their leadership.

Prosperity christians even worship greed, so lies and power are a given.

They even depict Jesus with a beard and philosophers robes - nothing about Christian worship is truth.

#14 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2020-09-29 03:37 PM | Reply

- And Jesus smote them!

Actually, he turned water into wine to keep the wedding party going.

Then he went to dinner and wine with the very people the Jewish leaders condemned, the unbelievers. After which he mixed with the poor and downtrodden and condemned the hypocrisy of those same religious leaders.

There are a lot of so-called Christians today that are not going to like the New Jerusalem one bit.

#15 | Posted by Corky at 2020-09-29 05:01 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Ok fine. Old Testament God smote them. Happy? :)

#16 | Posted by YAV at 2020-09-29 11:10 PM | Reply

Yeah, OT God was on the rag a lot.

#17 | Posted by Corky at 2020-09-29 11:35 PM | Reply