Thursday, October 01, 2020

The worst economic crisis in more than a generation has thrust potentially millions of Americans across the country into ... sudden peril: Cash-strapped, and in some cases still unemployed, they have fallen far behind on their electricity, water and gas bills, staring down the prospect of potential utility shut-offs and fast-growing debts they may never be able to repay.

Comments

Americans nationwide also appear to be racking up massive unpaid bills in the process. Electric and gas debts alone threaten to reach or exceed $24.3 billion by the end of the year, according to a new NEADA analysis, released Thursday, based on roughly two dozen' states regulatory filings. In some cases, the delinquencies appear to be severe. In Indiana, for example, more than 112,000 households are behind 120 days or more on their power bills, a Washington Post analysis of the largest local energy companies' records found. The debt, totaling millions of dollars, is four times greater than the arrears accrued during the same period in 2019, the data shows.

"The people who were struggling before are struggling even more," said Mark Wolfe, the NEADA's executive director.

Americans aren't going to rush into the streets because of Trump's bogus election shenanigans, they're going to be literally forced into the streets in the hope that their governments won't allow them to die during the upcoming winter in the middle of a pandemic.

There is no reason for the wealthiest nation on the planet to have millions of its citizens struggling simply to survive economic tumult that they themselves had absolutely nothing to do with and have no control over.

And don't forget, the Democratic-controlled House passed the Heroes Act which would have addressed these crises on May 15th - 139 days ago. Mitch McConnell and Donald Trump still will not allow this legislation to have a vote in the Senate. Americans continue to suffer because wealthy Republican politicians are afraid that the poor will become too lazy.

Wealthy Republican politicians are getting ready to become an endangered species unto themselves that won't be protected at the ballot boxes across America. Brown people and immigrants aren't impoverishing unemployed workers, wealthy indifferent mainly white politicians are.

#1 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-10-01 09:35 AM | Reply

Tip of the Iceberg. Housing market is next.

#2 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2020-10-01 10:50 AM | Reply

Man....Biden is sure going to inherit some fun times........

#3 | Posted by eberly at 2020-10-01 10:52 AM | Reply

"Man....Biden is sure going to inherit some fun times........"

That's by design. Republicans have been shooting holes in the ship, just prior to disembarking.

#4 | Posted by Danforth at 2020-10-01 10:56 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Man....Biden is sure going to inherit some fun times........

#3 | Posted by eberly

For the second time in twelve years.

#5 | Posted by Zed at 2020-10-01 10:57 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Millions of humans also face the loss of power and water thru natural disasters caused by climate change.

Which makes one wonder...

"With man gone, will there be hope for gorilla?"

#6 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-10-01 11:33 AM | Reply

"Steeply progressive taxation paid for the postwar investments in infrastructure, science and education that enabled the average American family to get ahead.

That only changed in the late 1970s, when high inflation drove up wages and pushed the middle class into higher tax brackets. Harnessing the widespread anger, Reagan put it to work on behalf of the rich.

In a move that GOP Majority Leader Howard Baker called a "riverboat gamble," Reagan sold the country on an "across-the-board" tax cut that brought the top rate down to 50 percent.

According to supply-side economists, the wealthy would use their tax break to spur investment, and the economy would boom. And if it didn't " well, to Reagan's cadre of small-government conservatives, the resulting red ink could be a win-win. "We started talking about just cutting taxes and saying, Screw the deficit,'"

Bartlett recalls. "We had this idea that if you lowered revenues, the concern about the deficit would be channeled into spending cuts."

It was the birth of what is now known as "Starve the Beast" " a conscious strategy by conservatives to force cuts in federal spending by bankrupting the country.

As conceived by the right-wing intellectual Irving Kristol in 1980, the plan called for Republicans to create a "fiscal problem" by slashing taxes " and then foist the pain of reimposing fiscal discipline onto future Democratic administrations who, in Kristol's words, would be forced to "tidy up afterward."

www.rollingstone.com

Same thing with GW then Obama.

Rinse, repeat.

#7 | Posted by Corky at 2020-10-01 12:49 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

Man....Biden is sure going to inherit some fun times........

#3 | POSTED BY EBERLY

And on January 21 Trumpers will be bitching and moaning about how bad things are under a Dem POTUS.

#8 | Posted by jpw at 2020-10-01 02:11 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

that's part of the fun.

#9 | Posted by eberly at 2020-10-01 02:16 PM | Reply

The deficit will once again be an issue.

#10 | Posted by schifferbrains at 2020-10-01 02:18 PM | Reply

Barack Obama was inaugurated on January 20, 2009.

On February 19, 2009 (29 days later) the TEA Party formed, blaming the Obama Administration and Democratic Congress for everything wrong with the US government, the budget deficit, the national debt, the markets, and overall economic conditions in general.

Expect the same for any incoming Biden Administration. Republicans are predictable like that.

#11 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-10-01 02:29 PM | Reply

that's part of the fun.

#9 | POSTED BY EBERLY

I'm not sure I agree.

Constant shameless flip flopping of principles is a major problem in our politics, especially when it leads to overt obstructionism that prevents a duly elected party to govern according to their electoral promises.

#12 | Posted by jpw at 2020-10-01 02:38 PM | Reply

well, I meant "fun" as sarcastically as possible.

#13 | Posted by eberly at 2020-10-01 02:46 PM | Reply

I know.

But it's that fun that makes people like Boaz so infuriating when they whine about a lack of civility and not listening to their viewpoint. How can you listen and take them seriously when their views are so transparently fickle and self-centered?

#14 | Posted by jpw at 2020-10-01 02:48 PM | Reply

-How can you listen and take them seriously when their views are so transparently fickle and self-centered?

That's easy.

My list of posters here I actually take seriously is much shorter than the list I don't.

#15 | Posted by eberly at 2020-10-01 02:57 PM | Reply

Eberly, all joking aside, once upon a time I really did take you seriously as a poster. And seemingly, after many years of watching right wingers get destroyed on this site, you gave up trying to be honest or intelligent, and decided that 99% of all the liberals on this site are ***holes. I used to view you with the same respect I had for Oorah.

#16 | Posted by moder8 at 2020-10-01 03:04 PM | Reply

"you gave up trying to be honest or intelligent,"

You don't a damn thing about what either of those terms mean.

Avoid using them until you do.

It takes work to understand them, especially here in this environment....especially if won't tow the preferred political line.

If you want to be too lazy to work at it, then fine.

And you can continue to compare me with all sorts of posters who don't post here anymore....and keep wondering why none of them post here anymore.

#17 | Posted by eberly at 2020-10-01 03:13 PM | Reply

"know"

and stop whining, Moder8. One 1 thread, I ---- on a political science degree (you have one) and this thread, I reference a list of posters I respect vs not.

It's obvious which list you think you're on.

Oh, and there is no actual list....I wouldn't bother to make one.

#18 | Posted by eberly at 2020-10-01 03:19 PM | Reply

You are missing my point. And maybe it is a waste of effort to clarify.

You used to honestly and intelligently engage those you disagree with. Now, you seem to write everyone off as ***holes and do not usually even make an effort anymore. I get it. Most right wingers have left this site leaving people like you to take the brunt of the abuse from left wingers who disagree with Republican positions. And after a while that gets tiring and frustrating. Nonetheless, before you gave up, you were good at presenting your point of view. I encourage you not to give up, and once again stand your ground with intelligence instead of frustration.

#19 | Posted by moder8 at 2020-10-01 03:24 PM | Reply

-You used to honestly and intelligently engage those you disagree with

Do you think Trump changed me?

Did my change occur somewhere around when Trump became president?

"Most right wingers have left this site leaving people like you to take the brunt of the abuse from left wingers who disagree with Republican positions that I don't take"

ft

The absence of right wingers has lead to their positions being assigned to me, even if I take no such position.

#20 | Posted by eberly at 2020-10-01 03:33 PM | Reply

"Do you think Trump changed me?

Did my change occur somewhere around when Trump became president?"

Yes, and yes.

#21 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-10-01 03:34 PM | Reply

#20 | POSTED BY EBERLY

Yer a Wizard, Harry!
I mean, a Republican.

If you don't want Republicans positions assigned to you, stop being a Republican.

Seems simple enough.

#22 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-10-01 03:36 PM | Reply

#20 | POSTED BY EBERLY

And I have observed that happen on a couple of occasions. I would argue the proper response is to ignore such people. Or, simply and directly state that you do not subscribe to the position being assigned to you, and leave it at that. I remember back in 2016 that no matter how much I trashed HRC there were a still a bunch of right wingers of being her die-hard supporter. It was ludicrous. All you can do is point that is not correct and then ignore it. If it pisses you off too much, plonk the person. I have not read a Fishpaw or a Dalton post in many years.

#23 | Posted by moder8 at 2020-10-01 03:40 PM | Reply

...wingers accused me of being..

#24 | Posted by moder8 at 2020-10-01 03:41 PM | Reply

-And I have observed that happen on a couple of occasions.

it's the starting point of most every argument where I later am accused of being such a dick (which is accurate some times)

#25 | Posted by eberly at 2020-10-01 03:45 PM | Reply

-If it pisses you off too much, plonk the person. I have not read a Fishpaw or a Dalton post in many years.

fair point..I plonked several including snoofy and clownshack. there is no possibility of having a conversation with them.

#26 | Posted by eberly at 2020-10-01 03:54 PM | Reply

"there is no possibility of having a conversation with them."

That's your choice.

#27 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-10-01 05:24 PM | Reply

Oh my god, why don't they just borrow $400 million from their dad like I did.
-Donald Trump