Monday, October 05, 2020

The Obergefell v. Hodges decision threatens religious liberty, Alito wrote in a statement in which Thomas concurred. The statement accompanied the court's order deciding not to review an appeals court decision that went against Kim Davis, the Kentucky county clerk who famously closed down marriage license operations rather than serve same-sex couples.

Comments

The rolling back civil rights and regressing this nation. One right at a time. It's the conservative way.

Hate and intolerance unites conservatives.

I wonder how Thomas would feel if Alito suggested rolling back rights for black Americans. Why should white Americans be forced to serve them if they don't want to? I'm sure there's something in the Bible that would justify it.

#1 | Posted by ClownShack at 2020-10-05 02:04 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

Gotta get The Base foaming at the mouth at the thought of Trump delivering his promise to overturn Roe v. Wade.

#2 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-10-05 02:13 PM | Reply

the Court went on to suggest that those beliefs espoused a bigoted worldview."

Tough ----. If you don't like reality, don't be a bigot.

In any case, I'm tired of "religious liberty" being interpreted as "I can do whatever I want if I claim to have a religious belief."

#3 | Posted by jpw at 2020-10-05 02:28 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

If the conservatives get another justice on Supreme Court this is America's future.

Our past is our future.

MAGA!

#4 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-10-05 02:30 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"the Court went on to suggest that those beliefs espoused a bigoted worldview."

Conservatives wouldn't get out of bed in the morning without their bigoted worldview: America is the best nation in the world, with G-d on our side, and Trump doing His Will.

#5 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-10-05 02:39 PM | Reply

"a bigoted worldview."

Like All Men are Created Equal.

Effin' bigots.

#6 | Posted by Danforth at 2020-10-05 02:42 PM | Reply

Part of the problem is also that liberal Christianity isn't standing up to this idea of using religion as a justification for hate.

There's an overwhelming voice of hate and victimization that's bellowing from conservatives that needs to be subdued.

But that can only come from people who speak the same language as they do.

#7 | Posted by ClownShack at 2020-10-05 04:34 PM | Reply

I think Quetzalcoatl,the feathered serpent, needs human hearts or the sun will fail.

Any volunteers? The next day may not come without a beating heart delivered on the pyramid.

That's how stupid,all religious doctrine is in a nutshell.

Feed me your hearts blood, or the world and everything you love, will DIE.

#8 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-10-05 05:20 PM | Reply

Just celebrated my 5th year of legal marriage with my husband. Depending on next month will probably depend on if we make it our 10th year of legal marriage I guess.

#9 | Posted by greeneyedguy at 2020-10-05 10:47 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

#9 Ouch. Happy Anniversary.

#10 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-10-06 12:13 AM | Reply

As a result of this Court's alteration of the Constitution, Davis found herself faced with a choice between her religious beliefs and her job," Alito wrote.

When you're religious beliefs cause you to view others as lesser, then your system of beliefs are garbage. Your worldview is garbage.

We, as humans have, should have, gone beyond the point where we judge other based on what we are.

We should be at a point where we see people for who we are and understand we are all the same. Regardless of the differences.

Alito needs to retire. His beliefs are akin condemning interracial marriages, which, not too long ago, were also illegal.

I'm shocked that Supreme Court Justices would be so close minded.

I'm upset civil rights can't be taken away, nullified.

#11 | Posted by ClownShack at 2020-10-06 12:27 AM | Reply

Just celebrated my 5th year of legal marriage with my husband.

Congratulations to you both.

#12 | Posted by ClownShack at 2020-10-06 12:28 AM | Reply

Pete Buttigieg
@PeteButtigieg

So much for precedent and judicial restraint. Two justices now openly call for an end to marriage equality"knowing reinforcements are on the way.

The stakes could not be higher.

#13 | Posted by ClownShack at 2020-10-06 12:38 AM | Reply

Knowing crazy Coney Is on the way.

#14 | Posted by ClownShack at 2020-10-06 12:38 AM | Reply

Republicans are scum.

I hope all of the puritopians are happy with their 2016 vote.

This would not be even a possibility if Clinton has been elected.

#15 | Posted by truthhurts at 2020-10-06 12:45 AM | Reply

If by some miracle Coney isn't seated and Biden can replace RBG with someone similarly liberal as her at least we can argue the Supreme Court is somewhat balanced.

If Coney gets seated the bench will be further to the right than it ever has been.

#16 | Posted by ClownShack at 2020-10-06 12:57 AM | Reply

I hope all you are happy with your 2016 vote.
This would not be even a possibility if Clinton voters had just chosen Johnson instead.
AND we'd be enjoying nationwide legal weed.

#17 | Posted by Avigdore at 2020-10-06 12:59 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#16 worse, they'll likely show little regard for precedence.

They finally have the partisan court they want and shredding the Constitution is tough work.

#18 | Posted by jpw at 2020-10-06 09:20 AM | Reply

Isn't this case about someone's right to invoke their religious beliefs in their job?

Not about marriage equality itself....right or wrong?

#19 | Posted by eberly at 2020-10-06 09:27 AM | Reply

I hope all of the puritopians are happy with their 2016 vote.
This would not be even a possibility if Clinton has been elected.

POSTED BY TRUTHHURTS AT 2020-10-06 12:45 AM | REPLY

Yawwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnn Cry me a river. It's everybody's fault except Hillary's ehhhhhhh??

#20 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2020-10-06 09:40 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

InJustice Clarence Thomas

#21 | Posted by hamburglar at 2020-10-06 09:43 AM | Reply

I knew this was coming.

They really, really hate us.

#22 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2020-10-06 09:04 PM | Reply