Tuesday, October 06, 2020

Eddie Van Halen, the iconic guitarist and one of the namesakes behind the hard rock band Van Halen, has died, TMZ reports and his son Wolf Van Halen confirmed. In 2019, it was reported that Van Halen was being treated for throat cancer. Eddie Van Halen was 65 years old. Van Halen's son Wolf shared a touching memorial to "the best father I could ever ask for."

Comments

RIP Eddie.

#1 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-10-06 03:45 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Always thought he was the best. A true natural.

#2 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2020-10-06 03:45 PM | Reply

Damn...

#3 | Posted by LostAngeles at 2020-10-06 03:58 PM | Reply

Went to college with him... local heros

#4 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2020-10-06 03:58 PM | Reply

As an organist I appreciate him upping string players game everywhere.

#5 | Posted by LostAngeles at 2020-10-06 04:00 PM | Reply

Wait. Eddie Van Halen gets a banner headline but Helen Reddy doesn't? We definitely need an ombudsman for this site.

#6 | Posted by moder8 at 2020-10-06 04:00 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 2

The best. A true guitar legend.
RIP Sir. :(

#7 | Posted by a_monson at 2020-10-06 04:09 PM | Reply

I'll never forget hearing Eruption/You Really Got Me for the first time. It was like my stereo came alive and was trying to eat me. RIP G.O.A.T.

#8 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2020-10-06 04:09 PM | Reply

I have an alibi.

#9 | Posted by RevDarko at 2020-10-06 04:11 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

My first big headline, but no dancing guitars?

#10 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2020-10-06 04:31 PM | Reply

Or weeping guitars?

#11 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2020-10-06 04:32 PM | Reply

2020 is crap. RIP GOAT

#12 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2020-10-06 04:33 PM | Reply

In '78bI went to see Black Sabbath with some band I had never heard of opening up. Went home with a Van Halen shirt.

#13 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2020-10-06 04:33 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Will never forgot you Eddie. Best damn guitar Player!

#14 | Posted by penguinhead at 2020-10-06 04:34 PM | Reply

Did he... Jump?

... If you think that's out of line look up what the song is about.

#15 | Posted by Tor at 2020-10-06 04:50 PM | Reply

First Neil Peart and now EVH. McCartney and Ozzy better watch their asses. 2020 wants a great band.

#16 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2020-10-06 05:01 PM | Reply

He was the best thing about that band. RIP

#17 | Posted by hamburglar at 2020-10-06 05:10 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Bummer, RIP Eddie.

#18 | Posted by leftcoastlawyer at 2020-10-06 05:10 PM | Reply

Lee don't worry there's a chance that Ozzy Osbourne already has antibodies for the Coronavirus after all he did bite the head off that bat LOL

#19 | Posted by Tor at 2020-10-06 05:25 PM | Reply | Funny: 3

Van Halen--"Hear about it Later"

#20 | Posted by madscientist at 2020-10-06 06:21 PM | Reply

Sorry to hear about this. He was an innovative rock guitar master.

#21 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2020-10-06 06:36 PM | Reply

A Guitar Legend. RIP.

My uncle dies from the throat cancer and we have a friend with stage 4 at the moment. Terrible disease. Get your HPV vaccines and don't smoke or chew...

#22 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2020-10-06 06:46 PM | Reply

As an organist I appreciate him upping string players game everywhere.

#5 | Posted by LostAngeles

Fellow organist here (along with all other keyboard instruments). Had gigs as church organist in high school and college, and played B3 on more recordings than I can count. Mostly using Native Instruments B4 now for overdubs. It's great how you can haul a realistic full orchestra, multiple grand pianos, and other instruments in a laptop nowadays, isn't it?

I love this one from The Far Side:

i.pinimg.com

#23 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2020-10-06 06:51 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Eddie Van Halen was great but I never felt that in my bones the way I did hearing Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Allen Collins on "Free Bird" or Prince on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps." Not sure why.

#24 | Posted by rcade at 2020-10-06 07:00 PM | Reply

#24 | Posted by rcade

Could it be because the guitar players you referenced played very melodic lead lines and EVH was more about speed.

#25 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2020-10-06 07:05 PM | Reply

That's possible. But I heard a massive amount of guitar rock when my sons got into Guitar Hero for a decade. It's not like I don't love the speed demons.

#26 | Posted by rcade at 2020-10-06 07:08 PM | Reply

#26 | Posted by rcade

Understood. Just pointing out that the others you mentioned oftentimes played melodies we hummed in our heads.

#27 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2020-10-06 07:20 PM | Reply

POSTED BY RCADE AT 2020-10-06 07:08 PM | REPLY

To me it was a lot of loud noise. Yes Eddie was great it's just a lot of screaching for me.

#28 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2020-10-06 07:33 PM | Reply

Eddie was a very inspiring guitarist and always appeared to enjoy playing.

#29 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2020-10-06 08:58 PM | Reply

You could hear the story ripple thru my house as everyone went awwww when they heard the news. The loss is probably felt like that as the news ripples across the world.

RIP

Rock in Peace!

#30 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-10-06 09:29 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The man was a monster on guitar, and somehow managed to put up with Roth and then Hagar for years. RIP.

Along those lines Rcade, unless you're listening to just instrumentals, the vocalists might be contributing to your preference lol. And damn, not to derail it, but do I miss Prince still.

#31 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2020-10-06 09:46 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Saw Van Halen with their original lineup in the 1980s. They were far better in concert than I was expecting. Just phenomenal. Eddie was the main reason.

#32 | Posted by cbob at 2020-10-06 09:57 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

EVH was a freak of nature and a true guitar god.
RIP.

#33 | Posted by anton at 2020-10-07 05:45 AM | Reply

I've seen Buckethead in concert twice in Jacksonville, so I do appreciate somebody who can get up there and shred instrumentals. His whole concert feels like somebody took 100 rock songs, removed everything that wasn't a killer guitar solo and just played what was left. After an hour of that you start to fall into a trance.

#34 | Posted by rcade at 2020-10-07 01:20 PM | Reply