Sunday, October 11, 2020

Political mailers masquerading as progressive voter guides and endorsing Proposition 22, the initiative backed by Uber and Lyft, are showing up in Southern California voters' mailboxes. The fine print on one mailer says it was prepared by the "Feel the Bern, Progressive Voter Guide," which is not an actual organization.

Comments

What? Uber is doing something sneaky, misleading, and hurts people? :O

#1 | Posted by censored at 2020-10-11 12:36 AM | Reply

I don't live in California so I don't get to weigh in on this issue officially but if I could I would vote No. Uber and Lyft are just schemes that allow the owners to rip off the people who work as contractors. When I need a ride, I'll call a taxi.

#2 | Posted by danni at 2020-10-11 11:10 AM | Reply

Unlike a regular employee, with these jobs you can work whatever hours you please. That flexibility is very valuable if you have other obligations and just want to pick up some extra shifts once in a while. That being said, they could simply let W-2 employees do the same, there's no reason that would have to change.

Also unlike a regular employee, as a 1099 you're on the hook for everything.

Only Uber has a real sense how much more it would cost Uber to make their workers employees. But if the margins are so thin that it's too expensive, then this business model is not viable to begin with.

I kinda wonder about how much they're spending to fight this, vs. how much it will cost them to implement...

#3 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-10-11 11:19 AM | Reply

Gotta protect them Corp profits at all cost.

Worker benefits and healthcare are optional.

#4 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-10-11 11:20 AM | Reply

Uber is not the only one who tries to mislead you with lies.

It took me hours to study the ballot this year and research who was lying and who was trying. There are several liars again this year.

I am still not absolutely positive about all my votes. I hate it when I find out after election day that I have been scammed and misled.

It would be hard to police be these creeps but they should be arrested and fined for outright lies designed to mislead the public and steal votes fraudulently.

#5 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-10-11 11:25 AM | Reply

Do you all object to any circumstances of the Contractor/independent contractor relationship?

Nobody should be an independent contractor?

Is that type of relationship inherently wrong or evil?

#6 | Posted by eberly at 2020-10-11 01:02 PM | Reply

No Eberly, it is not inherently wrong or evil. But it is in the case of Uber and Lyft who clearly are exploiting the current law to deny benefits to their 'contracters'.

#7 | Posted by moder8 at 2020-10-11 01:31 PM | Reply

Eberly, what's independent about being a Uber driver?
Without Uber, you have no customers.
You're literally dependent on the Uber app to make your money.

#8 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-10-11 02:47 PM | Reply

"Nobody should be an independent contractor?"

There goes Eberly, trying to argue a point that isn't even in contention!

"Proposition 22, titled Exempts App-Based Transportation and Delivery Companies from Providing Employee Benefits to Certain Drivers" en.wikipedia.org

Does that say nobody should be an independent contractor, Eberly?

#9 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-10-11 02:57 PM | Reply

From what I hear from Uber drivers is independence is what it's all about. It isn't a career goal it's a way to reach a goal. Set your hours, you're paid before your customer gets in the car and you can report bad apples. Apparently many think it's worth it. And Phoenix metropolitan area isn't a cab town anyway.

Never rode in one myself.

#10 | Posted by bruceaz at 2020-10-11 03:06 PM | Reply

BruceAZ. if this were really against the interests of the drivers, it would be the drivers themselves, and not Uber and Lyft corporate headquarters pouring tens of millions of dollars into pushing this Proposition. This is a corporate scam being foisted on the public as a pro-worker movement.

#11 | Posted by moder8 at 2020-10-11 03:14 PM | Reply

Not surprisingly, MADD is also on board. They want drunks being able to get a ride home whenver/wherever, and anything that negatively affects Uber or Lyft corporate interests they oppose.

#12 | Posted by moder8 at 2020-10-11 03:26 PM | Reply

Moder8
I don't know much about it, I thought it was a California thing.

#13 | Posted by bruceaz at 2020-10-11 03:29 PM | Reply

"They want drunks being able to get a ride home whenver/wherever"

Pure garbage.
They can still do that if Uber drivers are employees.

#14 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-10-11 03:34 PM | Reply

"It isn't a career goal it's a way to reach a goal."

That's like saying working at WAL*MART isn't a career goal it's a way to reach a career goal.

But WAL*MART is the single largest private employer in America.

#15 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-10-11 03:45 PM | Reply

They aren't employees at Walmart ,they are associates. Learn the lingo.

Anyway, the uber drivers set their own hours, work on their schedule. It seems to be a healthcare issue as far as I can understand.

In AZ we have healthcare under control, get sick, you die. No problem .

#16 | Posted by bruceaz at 2020-10-11 04:02 PM | Reply

Walmart can call them whatever they want.

Legally, they're all W-2 employees, the only difference being some are Fair Labor Standards Act exempt and some are not.

I've worked both sides, and as a 1099. This is entirely about saving the company money, it has nothing to do with what's best for the employee. Or the economy.

#17 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-10-11 05:09 PM | Reply

"They aren't employees at Walmart ,they are associates. Learn the lingo."

Good example. Walmart employees are real employees. W-2 with work comp and the same protections employees get.

Yay for them!! Wait.....no, not so great, huh?

The reason I was asking my questions earlier was because I'm considering in a few years moving to a status of "independent contractor".

I'm not necessarily looking for less benefits, instead I'm looking for flexibility, freedom and The heavy-handed aspects of being a regular employee.

#18 | Posted by eberly at 2020-10-11 07:01 PM | Reply

"Apparently many think it's worth it."

I've used it many many times. The common dislike for Uber drivers I've asked isn't the employment status but rather the actual pay.

#19 | Posted by eberly at 2020-10-11 07:03 PM | Reply