Sunday, October 11, 2020

What does the way you speak say about where you're from? Answer all the questions below to see your personal dialect map.

Comments

Wow.. I would easily fit into Salt Lake City! That's crazy, although I do tend to really like the Mormon that I meet probably because they speak so correctly.:]

#1 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2020-10-11 06:17 PM | Reply

This got me pretty right, I have to say. I was not aware that we only call them gym shoes in Chicago and Cincinnati, apparently.

#2 | Posted by lehkost at 2020-10-11 06:49 PM | Reply

It pegged me quite well.

A little too well.

fwiw, I also noticed it would not run unless I disabled all my advertising tracker blockers.

Usually my visit to Kentucky just after I graduated from college throws these types of things off. But not this one.

The "hot spot" of my language origins is right where I grew up.

There was a documentary on PBS a couple decades ago, "Do You Speak American" in which the host traveled the Country, highlighting the language that makes us us.

I still have the video file I made of the VHS tape....

#3 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-10-11 06:53 PM | Reply

It put me in Minneapolis, which is where I live. Also matched with SLC and Tucson, and the Atlantic Northeast

#4 | Posted by hamburglar at 2020-10-11 07:02 PM | Reply

Put me in worcester

LOL

#5 | Posted by eberly at 2020-10-11 07:10 PM | Reply

I was born in Michigan moved to upstate NY...it's pretty accurate for me :)

#6 | Posted by billy_boy at 2020-10-11 08:09 PM | Reply

Pretty accurate.

Growing up my best friend and family were from up north, and my mom didn't have a real TX drawl. So when I was 16 working at a gas station (for 3 days before they fired me) a young woman asked me where I was from. I told her I was a local. She just looked at me and said I was lying, that I didn't sound like a local.

She got pretty upset because she had just spent thousands of dollars to lose her local accent for a TV job, and here I didn't really have one.

Now I only have a Texas accent when I talk to my family back home because they all do, lol.

#7 | Posted by Corky at 2020-10-11 09:40 PM | Reply

Wow, this labeled the two major cities on each side of where I am from in Cali. Incredibly accurate in my case.

#8 | Posted by justagirl_idaho at 2020-10-12 12:13 AM | Reply

That was cool, practically predicted my street address.

#9 | Posted by bruceaz at 2020-10-12 12:56 AM | Reply

Ft Worth, Arlington, Lubbock

#10 | Posted by madscientist at 2020-10-12 01:13 AM | Reply

Being in BC I can see Spokane and Tacoma, but Oklahoma City?!

#11 | Posted by REDIAL at 2020-10-12 01:53 AM | Reply

It placed me where I was born and raised, Augusta/Richmond County. Otherwise it said I might be in Arlington (I'm in a different part of VA) or Charlotte.

#12 | Posted by Avigdore at 2020-10-12 02:20 AM | Reply

I nailed me in the upper mid-west, centered in Wisconsin.

#13 | Posted by SLBronkowitz at 2020-10-12 07:09 AM | Reply

South East for me Which is pretty correct since I was raised in that Area.

#14 | Posted by byrdman at 2020-10-12 07:16 AM | Reply

It pretty much highlights all the places I have lived out west and says I would not fit it in the south.. which I already knew.

#15 | Posted by 503jc69 at 2020-10-12 07:54 AM | Reply

New England, Connecticut and north Cal Pretty much right on.

#16 | Posted by randomcanyon at 2020-10-12 03:15 PM | Reply

This says the Phoenix area. But by the color, Western CO is also pretty accurate.

#17 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2020-10-12 03:29 PM | Reply

Nebraska??? WTF?!

#18 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2020-10-13 04:08 AM | Reply

I grew up moving every 2-3 years because my Dad was in the Navy. So, I guess I was a little surprised to see that I speak like a person from the deep South. Even South Florida, where I actually have lived for 40 years doesn't reflect my accent at all.

#19 | Posted by danni at 2020-10-13 08:38 AM | Reply

I've got a NY accent with heavy influences from my friends in the south, particularly Alabama. Every once in a while somebody from around here asks me where I'm from because I pronounce some words wrong. Get raised eyebrows when I'm hanging out with construction industry folks at my brother's house who assume it's an affect. Also happens consistently when I'm on vacation but I chalk that up to being nicer than the stereotypical New Yorker instead of my accent. They drunker or angrier I get the more NY comes out.

#20 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2020-10-13 09:11 AM | Reply

Nailed the two major cities near me in my state, and the major one that is actually closest to me to south in RI. Make a triangle of the three and I'm in the middle.

#21 | Posted by kwrx25 at 2020-10-13 10:33 AM | Reply