Thursday, October 15, 2020
C-SPAN said Thursday that Steve Scully, the network's senior executive producer and political editor, has been placed on "administrative leave" for lying about being hacked earlier this month. Scully admitted to "errors in judgement" and apologized in a statement. And President Trump took a victory lap, proclaiming on Twitter, "I was right again!" Scully had been selected by the Commission on Presidential Debates to moderate the town hall-style debate that was supposed to take place on Thursday night. It would have been a pinnacle moment for his career. Last week, however, the debate was scrapped after Trump objected to the virtual format imposed by the commission. While the debate was up in the air, and Trump was criticizing Scully publicly, the C-SPAN veteran sent a tweet to Trump friend-turned-foe Anthony Scaramucci. "@Scaramucci should I respond to trump," Scully wrote on the evening of October 8, shortly after Trump labeled Scully a "Never Trumper."
When the strange tweet to Scaramucci went viral the following morning, Scully claimed he was hacked. The commission and C-SPAN both vouched for him. "Steve Scully did not originate the tweet and believes his account has been hacked," C-SPAN said in a statement. Conservative media outlets expressed skepticism about that claim and pointed out that he had used the haking excuse in the past. Fox News devoted multiple segments to the subject. Nearly a week later, on Wednesday night, Scully admitted to C-SPAN and the commission that he did send the tweet.
Admin's note: Participants in this discussion must follow the site's moderation policy. Profanity will be filtered. Abusive conduct is not allowed.